Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Handles

Lee Handles

Can anyone share how they keep the wood grips on Lee handles? I’ve tried bamboo splints and match stems and they work for only a while. Thinking glue but unsure what would hold up to the high temperature.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have dozens of Lee moulds, but only one that had the wood handle loosen. I mixed up some JB Weld and re-installed the wood. It's been holding fine for several thousand casts.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Yup, jb weld is what I use.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

Im a belt and suspenders Guy. I pop all my mould handles off rough up the stems and glue them with JB weld or way lock. When that is cured I lay out a hole and drill and pin them with a 3/32 pin thru handle and stem. When gluing i work epoxy in and pump the stems in and out to get all the air out and a complete fill. once the holes are drilled and pins pressed in the ends are peened into smooth radiused heads.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Or drill and pin them!

Boolit Master
    I have used wood glues on a couple sets when I didn't feel like mixing up JB it seems to be holding just fine .

Boolit Buddy

I keep it simple.
    Elmer's white glue.
    I put 4 or 5 drops inside the wood handles and tap the wood with a hammer to seat them.

Never had them move again.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I've got 6 sets of Lee handles that I use between all my molds., and only one of them had the wood come loose. Knocking them back on tight with a mallet fixed them for a year. I then put them on tight with JB weld in the hole. They have been rock solid since. JB weld should hold up to at least 500 degrees. I've also heard of people drilling straight through, including the metal, and inserting a wood screw.

It seems this is pretty well covered with out me putting my two cents in!

Boolit Master

If I had the problem I might try some RTV sealant , the blue form-a-gasket stuff. At least
    i wouldn't have to mix it, and I think it would take the temperature.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    I don't relish the mess of mixing epoxy or JB Weld. When I get tired of tapping them back on, I just drip some gorilla super glue down the wood, smear some on the metal, tap it on and leave it a bit to cure. Haven't had one loosen back up.
    Ed <><

Boolit Grand Master

I take a cold chisel and kick a few small barbs up on the corners and then glue them on with silicone caulk.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

What could be so difficult about mixing JB weld? It's just equal parts of goop, about the consistency of toothpaste. Maybe 2 peas size drops each, mix for a few seconds on some cardboard, slap it in some mold handles. Throw the cardboard away, no mess.

Now RTV, that is some messy stuff. I think every one of my pants has a dab of RTV and a dab of anti-seize on them that never comes off no matter what.

I believe in JB weld, and keep plenty handy.
    That stuff is tougher then Chinese Algebra.

It's my 'go to' for things like that. I think it can stick the crack of dawn to the break of day.
    I had a buddy who was so good with it, I think he could have made a boat trailer with the stuff.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Another JB Weld user here. I made an early set of molds using angle iron, and on one end of one of the molds there were small gaps that lead would flow into and once hardened would make getting the ingot out very hard. Filled the gap on the inside of the mold with JB Weld then made hundred of ingots pouring molten lead directly on the patched seam.

Yeah I think it will take the heat on mold handles, if JB Weld fails due to the heat I suspect the wood of the handle is already on fire. You should set that down someplace outside, maybe pour some water on it.

Yes I could have ground off the welds and redone it, or maybe even welded to fill the seam (on my better days with a welder long ago) but JB Weld was both easier and smoother so less likely to have places the lead would be caught on when hardened.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

"Now RTV, that is some messy stuff. I think every one of my pants has a dab of RTV and a dab of anti-seize on them that never comes off no matter what."

^^^^
    Or just looking at a can of plastic roof cement from a long ways off.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Banned

I was asking the same question and found this, haven't tried it yet but I'm going to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kay15NiOJHQ

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tankgunner59 View Post
    I was asking the same question and found this, haven't tried it yet but I'm going to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kay15NiOJHQ
    When the Lee handles break, they break right where you are drilling a stress riser.

If you want to drill and pin them, drill the hole back towards the tail of the metal.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast