RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: short stroke press

Boolit Master

short stroke press

who makes the shortest stroke press; strictly for pistol ammo loading?

Boolit Grand Master

Are you looking at a progressive, single stage, turret, or other type? For a progressive, I'm going to go out on a limb and say a Dillon SDB.

Boolit Master
    I don't know if it is the shortest, but I have loaded a lot of rounds on my SDB. Even though it uses carbide sizing dies, I still lube the cases, making sizing very easy on the downstroke. Less effort means greater productivity and more consistent ammo. The longer throw of a longer arm might offer better mechanical advantage (maybe at the cost of some decreased production rate?), but the lubing makes my experience with the SDB more than satisfactory.

One situation, though, may point out the advantages of a longer arm: sticking of the case on the expander. For me that happens with new cases or squeaky clean stainless steel pin tumbled fired cases. Getting the expander out of the case needs pulling the press handle upwards with resistance starting at about 90° (so no body weight can be used, only muscle), from a position starting a little above waist height. That's a little tiring when done over a several hundred round loading session, and here I think it'd be definitely easier with greater mechanical advantage (longer arm).

Boolit Bub
    For a single stage, I've been eyeballing that newish Lyman Ideal Brass Smith for a short throw. I was thinking for a quick little press to decap rifle brass and bullet sizing though.

I really like the little Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro for my pistol loading needs. Not really big enough for rifle loading, imagine that contributes to a shorter stroke. Doubt it measures up to other progressives, but it's quite a bit quicker than a single stage. I did mod the handle so it's more similar to a Rock Chucker's throw (little more forward travel but not below 90deg on the downstroke). I don't use all the bells and whistles like bullet, primer, and case feeders. Imagine that's where the nicer presses really shine in comparison.

Hope that was helpful.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

The Lee classic cast (single stage or Turret) have an adjustable handle to achieve quite a short amount of movement to cycle the press.

Also, I bet Lyman's tiny Tru-Line Jr has a very short stoke.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    You can get an extension for your ram, and shorten it. I personally would rather get a Lee Classic and reposition the handle.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    With the linkage tightened up on my RCBS Summit I am able to minimize the stroke to just what’s needed for clearance in whatever cartridge I’m loading. You also have the 2 handle length options from the factory. It does slightly increase the effort required. It’s nice having the case out in the open compared to O frame presses.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I must be doing something wrong...........my 444 is an excellent pistol press, but full length sizing of any rifle cases requires considerable effort. The linkage is not a true "compound" type, so it becomes work after a few rounds. CH also failed to design a primer catch system that works well, so primers end up all over the place. Still, I'd never get rid of it..........too much high quality in its build.

I also have a "Precision Reloader" press made back in the early sixties, and it's a small C style press. Very short stroke. The only "rifle" cartridge you can load on it is a .30 carbine.

When you get right down to it, any press is a mechanical trade off between leverage and stroke length. If you reduce the stroke, you're just going to have to put more "oomph" on that handle!

Banned
    "I also have a "Precision Reloader" press made back in the early sixties, and it's a small C style press. Very short stroke. The only "rifle" cartridge you can load on it is a .30 carbine." That is one interesting press, and yes, according to their literature, it will just handle the .222 for sizing.
    It's a C press that is actually a 50%, half size of a regular press. Precision Reloader went out of business after a couple of years, tracking the dates has been difficult and is more so now that the town of Paradise burned down.
    It would be great for neck sizing and load work-up at the range with shorter case cartridges.

Ken

Boolit Master

3006guns
    YES, quick linkage for PISTOL ammo

Boolit Buddy
    was the RCBS B press small enough that it would have been considered "short stroke"?

Boolit Master
    I guess I am not understanding , unless it is a progressive or the Lee turret set up to auto index you don't have to use the full swing of the lever you just stop the swing when the case is clear of the die , what am I missing ?