Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Mauser 98 detachable Magazine

Boolit Master

Mauser 98 detachable Magazine

A friend called me , and wants me to convert a Turkish 98 Action to use a M1a /M14 magazine.
    Does anyone know if this has been done before or is doable ?
    I know already that I will have to totally redo the magazine and trigger guard on the mauser.
    And the inside of the receiver will need to be milled out to fit the ears on the New Magazine.
    My main concern is , Will the controlled feed bolt line up and feed the rounds reliably and snap up into the bolt face behind the extractor.

Boolit Buddy
    PTG makes bottom meatal for k98 to take mags
    http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/11366...tom-metal.html
    could call them to see options on m1a mags

Boolit Master
    The bottom metal looks exactly how I figured I would have to build it.
    But the magazines look like single stack that fits between the rails on the mauser receiver.
    But to use a M14 magazine, I will have to widen out the guide rails on the receiver.
    I need to see how much has to be removed , and make sure it doesn't weaken the back half of the receiver.

SARCO used to sell 20 rd. magazines for the GEW 98, replicas of the original WW I magazines. I think they'd likely work in a Turk '98. You could check with them and see if they still have some in their inventory.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hate to bust his bubble, but I think the M-14 magazine is a skosh too wide at the rear to work with a Mauser.

Back in the early 2000's when I built my .35 Whelen and a .308 on 98 Mauser's, I was still on active duty and ran an Armory so comparisons were made. It looked way too difficult for me to try, but maybe an AR-10 mag would work? I don't know for sure.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I never like to burst an others bubble but I fail to see the advantage of high capacity mags in a 98 Mauser, unless one is shooting turtles on dry land. Have him buy an AR, no offence meant but it's a shame to disfigure a fine rifle. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    My friend has AR 10' s and 15's.
    He just wants to make a Unique rifle out of this one.
    He got it from me a few years back.
    I had cut the barrel and stock back because the end of the bore was all pitted from a wasps nest.
    I made a new nose cap for the stock that makes it look like a carbine.
    He wants me to rebarrel it in a heavy barrel .308.
    He also has a M1a and has a ton of spare magazines.
    But once he brings me the magazines , I will investigate how much of the receiver needs to be milled out and where.
    The WW1 Trench magazine reproductions are rather large and bulky.
    They will fit the turk , but are not a Detachable Magazine.
    They are a Detachable Magazine Extension box.
    Last edited by LAGS; 11-15-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 271530Attachment 271531
    Hi LAGS: I have a little bit of experience converting Mausers to accept removable magazines. First off, given enough time, money, blood, sweat & tears, anything is possible. But you need to factor in cost vs reward. In my experience single stack magazines can be made to work with Mauser actions, but double stack magazines usually create a jam-o-matic cuss word generator. I've got a buddy that tried adapting Ruger mini-30 mags to a small ring 7.62x39 that he was building. It would only feed from the right side of the magazine. I've read about similar builds on the internet, and they are almost always threads about "Why won't my FrankienMauser feed right?" If you can weld or braze, you can adapt AR mags, M14 mags, maybe even Enfield mags to fit into the mag well on a Mauser trigger guard. But that's not even half the battle. The real challenge is getting them to feed. A couple of years ago I built a 94 small ring in 7.62x39 that used single stack AK mags from a WASR. It took me months to get all the magazines to feed properly. Right now I'm building a 93 Mauser in the same caliber, but using the Mauser box magazine instead of a removable magazine for two reasons. First, you can't loose the magazine out of a Mauser. Second (and more important) when you adapt a rifle to use removable magazines you end up handicapped by the magazines internal dimensions. You can't use heavier or longer bullets because they won't fit inside the magazine. Before you attempt this build you should advise your friend that not only will there be a good chance that the magazines aren't going to feed reliably, but the feed rails on the Mauser receiver will have to be ground out to accommodate the removable magazine, so there will be no turning back.

Boolit Master
    Thank you.
    These are the exact things I have been talking to my friend about.
    But , Hay , it is his rifle and wallet.
    Last edited by LAGS; 11-17-2020 at 11:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    I spoke to my friend and asked him why he wants a Detachable Magazine on a Mauser.
    He said he wants it to be like a Parker Hale M 85 that used a M 14 magazine.
    I tried to explain that a M85 receiver is a Heavier Receiver and opening up the bottom of the receiver does not weaken the receiver.
    I guess we can weld up the thumb notch on the left side of the receiver to beef up the Mauser receiver.
    But that would mean having the receiver Re Heat Treated.

Boolit Master
    My friend brought over a M14 magazine for me to compare it to the bottom of the receiver.
    To get the magazine to fit into the bottom of the Mauser receiver , you would have to grind out the receiver so thin that I would feel it would not be durable.
    He agrees that it isn't worth the trouble.
    But he wants me to make him a 20 round Fixed magazine on one of my spare bottom metal peices.
    I told him he can just buy a aftermarket Trench magazine.
    But he would rather have something I built rather than one that looks bulky.