RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Marlin 1894 44 Mag Cycling Problem

Boolit Master

Marlin 1894 44 Mag Cycling Problem

Here is what I am seeing:

1) I can load one round in the tube and it cycles fine.

2) I can load 5 rounds in the tube and the first round jams about 1/3 of the way out of the tube. Locks the lever solid. I can work the round out with a screwdriver or remove the lever screw and it relieves the pressure and it comes out. It is not trying to feed two rounds; I am having a problem getting one to feed initially.

3) I can load one round, cycle it into the barrel, load four more rounds and everything works fine.

I am seeing two fine lines scars on the brass the whole way down. Looks like it may be the forward edge of the carrier scarring the brass. The carrier may not be dropping down enough with the first round to allow it to come all the way out of the tube in some cases. But when I work the action, without rounds, looks like everything is working properly.

Anyone seen this problem before.

Boolit Buddy
    Two things to look at
    1) check the little screw between the loading gate and the hammer VERY often these are loose.
    2) MY Marlin 1894 in 44 needed the mag spring cut because it was too long and applied more re pressure than necessary. Good luck.

Boolit Master

Thanks. Two things to check.

Boolit Master

On my Marlin, it was indeed the mouth of the magazine tube that was causing problems. In my rifle it was nearly impossible to load the rifle. The rim of the case was hitting the tube. Loading and unloading the cartridges the rim was hitting the tube. I disassembled and chamferred the mouth of the madazine tube.

A burr between the mag tube and receiver will hang it up. Could be a dent in the mag tube causing the follower to bind too. All I can think of that will cause those symptoms.

Boolit Master
    I had that problem with an 1894 marlin. had to disassemble gun to get the loaded round out. turned out to be loose magazine tube. tightened up all the screws and it works perfectly.

Boolit Master

I have got to find some time to work on it. Good information, thanks everyone.

Very often, with any rifle, burrs in the action will cause feeding problems.

With your Marlin, I would disassemble the action with gunsmith screwdrivers or bits. Inspect all of the parts for burrs and polish them away with fine slip stones and 400-600 grit emery cloth.
    - Don't go crazy. Remove as little metal as possible.
    - Wrap the cloth around an appropriate piece of dowel for internal round surfaces. Avoid the flat faces of your locking bolt.
    - As well as the magazine tube, check the hole in the receiver that the magazine tube plugs into, where cartridges pass through to slide on to the carrier.
    - Touch up these surfaces by cleaning them with alcohol, and then applying cold blue, and then light oil.
    Last edited by Prairie Cowboy; 11-18-2020 at 06:56 AM.

Boolit Master
    Clean the mag tube when you take the gun apart as rust can cause the follower to stop and start. Ask me how I know! New Marlin Cowboy .45 Colt, after about 20 rounds started having feeding problems. Checked everything I could would not work so someone said run a patch down the mag tube. Patch came out covered in rust, was not cleaned very good after machining. After cleaning and lubing no more feeding problems. This also let me take the plug out allowing another 3 rounds loading and made it easier to load.

Also see Cast Bullets-Marln Jam for some good sites to look at for Marlin info. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rlin-%93Jam%94
    Last edited by warren5421; 11-23-2020 at 10:43 AM.

It does sound like the problem may be with the magazine tube and/or the hole through the receiver that cartridges pass through.
    Surface rust, burrs, and machining chips could be the problem, as "warren5421" has experienced.

I checked with my own Marlin Cowboy (.45 Colt) and noticed that when only one cartridge is loaded that the cartridge does not actually fully enter the tube. Instead the bullet nose just goes a short distance in to the tube and the rim comes to rest against the edge of the loading gate.
    But, with five cartridges loaded, the rims do fully enter the tube and have the opportunity to wedge against any burrs or chips or rust.
    Also, the pressure from the magazine tube spring is significantly greater with five cartridges, which could increase that wedging action.
    Perhaps the magazine spring pressure with four or three or two cartridges in the tube is not enough to cause a problem, but five is.
    Last edited by Prairie Cowboy; 11-23-2020 at 02:06 PM.

I believe what your are describing is the Marlin jam. That is what mine acted like. I make sure my ammo is loaded at max. OAL or slightly over and the problem went away. In time, I will do the proper fix.