Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Before I drop over a $1,000, some verification please

Boolit Master
    Maybe you should consider doing a .350 legend instead of the. 327. JES reboring can rebore your rifle for 250.00 including return s&h and the bolt face would require no modification either and the magazine might work as well.

Boolit Master

Nothing wrong with wanting / building something different. I have done it several time for self and customers.

What a guy wants is his business. If I was going to spend major bucks on such a project I would first invest in a donor rifle that would be more likely to provide optimum results for my buck. That rifle would not be a 340 series Savage.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Maybe research using a 77/357 for your project if you have to have a repeater. If not, MGM makes real nice barrels for Contenders. Just a thought.......
    I had, and still have, the hots for an accurate .38/.357 rifle. I was set to buy one of the 77's and saw a lot of negative reviews as to accuracy. Wish one was available. Looked at one of the "baby" rolling blocks, but not seeing many reviews on them. I do not like shooting break open guns so a bit limited in options.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Nice safe!
    Thanks! The wife thought so as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Maybe you should consider doing a .350 legend instead of the. 327. JES reboring can rebore your rifle for 250.00 including return s&h and the bolt face would require no modification either and the magazine might work as well.
    Kind of defeats the purpose.
    The intent is to have a 327 Federal to play with.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    What a guy wants is his business. If I was going to spend major bucks on such a project I would first invest in a donor rifle that would be more likely to provide optimum results for my buck. That rifle would not be a 340 series Savage.
    I had seen a very nicely stocked 340, and understand they are relatively easy to rebarrel.
    What is wrong with the 340 series? I have never owned one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Maybe research using a 77/357 for your project if you have to have a repeater. If not, MGM makes real nice barrels for Contenders. Just a thought.......
    I had mentioned using a ruger m77 as a rebarrel project on another thread. It wasn't met with much enthusiasm either.
    Before it is all said and done, I may just throw caution and common sense to the wind, and take a safari grade ruger #1 and have it rebarreled to 327.
    Far cry from originally considering just stubbing a handi rifle, eh?
    I am patient though. Been looking at various options on this idea for some time now.
    In the end, I want a top quality stock, excellent trigger(I really like double set triggers like on my Renegade muzzle loader) and either falling block, bolt or break action. I intend to feed it 32 acp, 32, 32 long, 32 magnum and 327 federal. Just because I can...lol
    I know up front I will have more invested than the finished gun will be worth.
    But I will have what I want if I am going to have a gun basically custom made.
    Some nice peep sights would be an added touch, but these old eyes might not be up to that anymore.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmiles View Post
    What is wrong with the 340 series? I have never owned one.
    I've owned several of the 340's/325's in .222 and .30-30, and they are probably the last gun I would spend money on "customizing". The actions aren't the slickest/most rigid, triggers have a lot of creep (and not user friendly to adjust), and they all use the side mount scope base. That being said, the .222 I owned was a pretty good shooter....but I could never make myself like the gun (or any of the .30-30s).

They feel clunky, aren't very refined, and simply not the action I would want to build on.

Boolit Master
    Jason280 +1 also the ejection port is very short. Any bullet of seated over factory specs has to be hand loaded and has a hard time being ejected unfired.

Vendor Sponsor

Kind of defeats the purpose.
    The intent is to have a 327 Federal to play with.
    This thread has brought out several fairly strong dislikes for the donor rifle, and listed it's lesser liked features, so I wonder what responses you would get if you put up another thread saying "For A RIFLE In 327 Federal, Where Would You Start?" And ask some suggestions as to what rifle might make the best donor, the least expensive conversion, the best trigger or scope mount, etc...

And keeping in mind this is a revolver boolit, so it's only going to be but so accurate regardless of how well made the rifle is.

I would think a levergun would make a fun project for 327. I lot of them are chambered in pistol calibers so we know they work quite well.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-23-2020 at 11:31 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    This thread has brought out several fairly strong dislikes for the donor rifle, and listed it's lesser liked features, so I wonder what responses you would get if you put up another thread saying "For A RIFLE In 327 Federal, Where Would You Start?" And ask some suggestions as to what rifle might make the best donor, the least expensive conversion, the best trigger or scope mount, etc...

And keeping in mind this is a revolver boolit, so it's only going to be but so accurate regardless of how well made the rifle is.

I would think a levergun would make a fun project for 327. I lot of them are chambered in pistol calibers so we know they work quite well.
    Not sure how it being a 'handgun cartridge' makes it any less accurate.
    Less powerful, yes.
    Shorter effective range, yes.
    But I wasn't looking for a powerful long range rifle. I have those.
    Straight up, all I know about the 340 is what I have read, mostly on here.
    Everything that has been posted in the negative, I wasn't aware of until this post.
    I am aware I can go buy a Henry lever gun, but I don't particularly want one.
    I have 3 lever guns already.
    And I did actually ask what the people on here with knowledge of such things would suggest as a 327 project gun 2 days ago.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...r-me-327-rifle

The Contender Carbines are dandy little rifles for the purpose you describe. Acquiring and mounting another barrel for the next cartridge you get the itch to try is quick and painless.

-ktw

Vendor Sponsor

Not sure how it being a 'handgun cartridge' makes it any less accurate.
    Less powerful, yes.
    Shorter effective range, yes.
    It's a shorter stubbier boolit compared to rifle boolits of the same caliber, so it doesn't have the ballistics of the rifle boolit. At 100 yds a rifle boolit will go through the same hole over and over where the revolver boolit will open groups considerably. That is what I meant by my comment.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    It's a shorter stubbier boolit compared to rifle boolits of the same caliber, so it doesn't have the ballistics of the rifle boolit. At 100 yds a rifle boolit will go through the same hole over and over where the revolver boolit will open groups considerably. That is what I meant by my comment.
    I've shot bullets up to 167 grains in a revolver. I see no reason why you couldn't easily shoot 150 and 165 grain rifle bullets in the 327 federal in a rifle. This caliber is awesome because it doesn't require stubby bullets. I'd even go so far as to say bullets under 125 grains are a waste of time for anything other than mouse fart loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    JohnSmiles, at this point I’ll quote the great philosopher Ricky Nelson who said, “You can’t please everybody, so you’ve got to please yourself.” When I’ve done my various builds including two pistol class low walls (a 32 Long Colt and a 32 H&R) I finally had to quit listening to everybody else, look at what I wanted and what was available to work with, and just do it!. If we go back to one of your earliest musings, using a monobloc barrel on a tip up Handi Rifle or something similar would be the cheapest, most straightforward way to get something “to play with.” If I were working under the conditions you describe, I’d buy a rifle barreled H&R/NEF, etc in whatever caliber was most readily available and a surplus Military rifle barrel in 303 British. Gunsmithing would involve profiling the barrel to suit the application, sawing off the original tip up barrel in front of the locking lugs, then reaming the stub to monobloc the 303 barrel into place. Make a 6 o’clock extractor cut and make an extractor (or build up the original.) Cut your chamber and fit the extractor, and you’re good to go.

If you really like the product, you can consider an infinite range of options for sights and stocks. Again, you’ve got to please yourself! This is all my own opinion of course, but I would certainly encourage you to go for it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I have one customer that I made five different caliber barrels for the same folding beretta shotgun. While I have stubbed a few barrels over the years, it's sometime just as easy to make a new lug and silver solder it to the barrel. One of the more difficult jobs I did several years back was to make a mono block for a Winchester model 21 so it could be made into a 416-500 nitro express. Lucky for me the barrel regulated very fast so I only had to shoot it a few times. Even using a lead sled and hearing protection it was not fun to shoot.

Boolit Master

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/...0;t=28099;st=0 Check out this rifle on a variation of the action I mentioned in a previous post.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12