RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before I drop over a $1,000, some verification please

Banned

Before I drop over a $1,000, some verification please

Many of you have probably seen some of my posts inquiring about the 327 Federal.
    Here is where I stand on my future project.
    I am eyeballing a savage 340, chambered in 222 remington, which I understand to be one of the easier guns to rebarrel.
    My goal is to have a barrel blank installed for 327.
    I know the magazine won't function without major alterations, if even possible, and that is not overly of any importance.
    Can someone tell me exactly what needs to happen to accomplish this?
    In my mind, the barrel blank would have to be machined to fit the receiver and stock first, blued, then chambered for 327, then head spaced correctly.
    Next would be installing sights or a scope?
    Or both.
    The only thing I have ever done is turn a 357 mag into a 357 max, so maybe I am overthinking this.
    I know there are some damned fine gunsmiths on this site, and would really like a detailed chain of events that need to take place to create my first customized rifle before I start throwing money at it.
    And or suggestions.
    I also know that turn around time is WAY out there right now.
    Any and all comments are welcome.
    Thanks in advance.
    John

Before you do all that you should talk to JES. Take a look at his web site. Not only might it save some money, but rebored and re-rifled barrels are often more accurate than new barrels.

http://35caliber.com/
    Last edited by Tatume; 11-15-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    What do you plan to use the rifle for? That can determine a lot about what you have to do and how much it will cost.

You may want to compare the bolt face depth on the Savage 340 in 222 to where the case head and webbing end on a 327 federal case to check to make sure there is no unsupported area. Have never looked at a 340, but if the 222 is the standard 1/8"ish deep bolt face you can still headspace it by leaving a rim on the chamber mouth or less ideally it can be headspaced on the case mouth. Hopefully the 222 is set up like the 30-30 versions where the bolt face pocket is not deeper than the rim is thick.

Boolit Bub
    I have seen the 340 rebarreled to 300 Blackout on Gunbroker previously. Those had started out as either 223 or 222 rifles if I recall.

I'm no expert, but I believe the 45,000 PSI spec for 327 should be safe in the rifle even with its one locking lug, since the original .222 spec is higher still.

Interesting project; I like the 340 rifle, and will be following along to see what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmiles View Post

I am eyeballing a savage 340, chambered in 222 remington, which I understand to be one of the easier guns to rebarrel.

My goal is to have a barrel blank installed for 327.

Can someone tell me exactly what needs to happen to accomplish this ?

In my mind, the barrel blank would have to be machined to fit the receiver and stock first, blued, then chambered for 327, then head spaced correctly.

Next would be installing sights or a scope - Or both.

You're entirely on track with your premises of the work needed - except that the issue barrel needs to be removed.

As noted above, I would contact a good re-bore gunsmith like Jes (there are others), since a rebore would cost less than $300 - leaving only the magazine issue.

IOW, K.I.S.S.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

+1 on checking into the fit for the bolt face and feed lips.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Before you do all that you should talk to JES. Take a look at his web site. Not only might it save some money, but rebored and re-rifled barrels are often more accurate than new barrels.

http://35caliber.com/
    Jesse is only set up to rebore to 338 or larger (actually .330 for the top of the lands according to his website).
    I have several of the little 325, 340 rifles, and want one of them in .32 special - not available from him.
    I plan to get in touch with John Taylor, and see if it's something he can help me with.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop on your project!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe Taylor moved to Idaho and its going to be several months before he gets his shop going.

I think I might go the route of stubbing a barrel to use on a NEF action.

Boolit Grand Master
    Seems like a lot of money to invest. Why not find one in .30/30 and download it?

I doubt the 340 type rifles will ever be super accurate no matter what barrel you use.

I have a little Howa Mini-Mauser and I think they used to be available in 7.62x39. Not sure if they are offered in .300 BO but a much better rifle at a lower price and it does not need a funky scope mount system. Might look at the CZ's as well.

The question you need to ponder, "What if I spend $1000 and end up with a single shot 3 MOA rifle I cannot sell?"
    Don Verna

Vendor Sponsor

I'm curious as to what you intend to do with this rifle?

If I was going to spend that kind of money on a rebore or rebarrel, I would probably pick a caliber that would return a bit more bang for my buck. 350 Legend or something along those lines.

I'm with dverna on the moa potential, it's still a pistol caliber boolit so at it's best it can't compete with the 30-30 at 100yds.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Contact henry and see if they are going to make one in 327, they sure would sell a bunch of them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Unless I’m terribly mistaken (for the first time since 1978?) Henry has one or more lever action rifles and carbines chambered in 327 Fed Mag. If you have decided a repeater is in your future, I would humbly suggest you look there (for well under that $1000 budget.)

The Frugal Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I suppose the Henry is OK if you put wheels on it and had a pony to drag it around for you.

Geeesh they are HEAVY!

My John Taylor .32 Bunny Gun weighs 4 pounds. Of course it isn't a .327, but I like to be able to eat up to the bullet hole and subsonic loads disturb the neighbors alot less.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I never did see what the gun was primarily to be used for. Unless the barrel is worn out, .222 can be a fun and accurate gun. All depends on intended use.

Boolit Master

getting a rimmed case to feed may be a bit of fun. I have a small Remington bolt action I was thinking of making into a 32 auto and using a mag from a pistol. Several years ago I converted a Cadet to 32 S&W. It's all done except the butt plate. I have not had it to the range yet to see what it will do.
    Last edited by John Taylor; 11-19-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Banned
    Fellers, I chose this project because a .204, 222, 223 and a few others have almost the same rim diameter as the 32 caliber cartridges.
    Bolt face should function with little, if any, modification.
    The savage 340 is supposedly one of the easier guns to rebarrel.
    I had entertained thoughts of stubbing a handi barrel, then came across this angle.
    RESALE value had no place in this equation.
    I have never bought a gun for it's resale value, and certainly wasn't worried about my first project gun having resale value.
    I would have no intention of selling it to begin with.
    I simply wanted a bolt action gun, barreled in 327 federal. Something different and fun to shoot. This was to be my first customized rifle.
    But as this seemed to be viewed as just an exercise in folly by some, I didn't follow through and purchase that 340 deluxe with the sweet stock I was looking at.
    But someone else did. Good looking gun at a fair price.
    I did however purchase a Liberty 64T gun safe.
    Which means it will be some time before I have any extra cash to pursue a project gun of any bent.
    Thanks for all the input.
    John

Boolit Master

Maybe research using a 77/357 for your project if you have to have a repeater. If not, MGM makes real nice barrels for Contenders. Just a thought.......
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Nice safe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast