Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: bullet mold for 40-60 WCF

Boolit Master

bullet mold for 40-60 WCF

Hello ya'll. As ya'll perhaps read in my first thread I've got the 1876 Winchester in 40-60 caliber and slowly getting parts for it. Just to "dream about" while I'm acquiring parts I've got Jamison brass and RCBS 3 die set coming from Graf 'n Sons. Looking for a bullet mold. I've read the original was a 210 grain bullet? Does the Lee TL410-210-SWC bullet mold work for this caliber/rifle?

Thanks for any info
    Ken H>

Boolit Master
    I think Lyman molds 403168 and 403169 were used for the caliber commonly?
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I know very little about those old moulds - the ebay linked mould doesn't really look complete. I don't mind the rough outside as long as it would actually cast suitable bullets. I sent a question to the vendor asking if the mold is complete and able to cast bullets.

The BuffaloArms mold is out of stock, and at $160 I'll wait until I've actually got the rifle shooting.

Today I slugged the barrel at .406" so need a mold to cast something over that. I don't mind sizing it down a tad, and most Lee molds I've got tend to cast slightly undersize. My luck this one would cast oversize

Thanks for the comments - and "IF" the ebay vendor answers back the mold is complete and will cast I'll be putting a bid in.

73 de Ken H>
    Last edited by KenH; 11-14-2020 at 06:42 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Tom Ellis at Accurate lists this design for the 40-60- Winchester Model 1876. When ordering you can change diameter if needed.

Attachment 271424
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Per msg from vendor: "#5 is an armory tool it does nit have a bullet mold - know what your bidding on - do your homework please"

Looks like that one isn't a bullet mold - I guess that's why it didn't look complete.

Boolit Buddy
    KenH,, E-bay tool is for a 40-60 " MARLIN " not for a 40-60 Winchester , 2 different cals.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Hoot - I missed that. When John Boy posted links I thought he was linking to a 40-60 bullet mold, and I just didn't click as to what it really was. I knew from looking at photos it didn't look like any bullet mold I was familiar with. While it would be neat to have an original mold that came with the rifle, those I saw are REALLY expensive. For the time being I might order one of those cheap Lee molds. I've had fairly decent luck with them in the past for other calibers. I usually have to touch up the cavities to get the same weight from both bullets, but that's not such a big deal.

Thanks again to all for all the help and suggestions I've received.

Ken H>
    Last edited by KenH; 11-15-2020 at 10:20 AM.

Try montana cast bullets, you may be able to mix it up a bit to see what she likes.

Boolit Buddy
    You really need to find out the throat size to determine the proper size of cast bullet . i have reloaded the 40-60 for a Winchester 1876 , using a lyman mold . I don't remember the number but I do remember that the bullets were too small for the rifle that I loaded for . After finding out the throat size , I would order a mold from Tom @ Accurate molds . I do remember that the rifle I reloaded for had a throat size of .407 . Regards , Paul

Boolit Master
    I hadn't thought about throat size for a rifle. I slugged the bore at .406" and sized the bullets from the Lee TL410-210-SWC mold to .4075". The bullets are dropping from mold around .410". With power coat that bumps the diameter to .411" or so. Easy to size.

I think I'm a long way from actually needing loaded rounds for this rifle - still have not found a lever and Uberti are on backorder and not expected for a few months. I'm working on the toggle links now - I do hope to have those made in a week or so.