Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44-40 heavy bullet question

All of this is really great information. It's nice to know that those 240 grainers will stabilize well out to 100 yards, even with a 1:36 twist.

Also great to know that bullets like the Accurate 43-230G work well even if they are a tiny bit longer than SAAMI spec. That widens my choices of molds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    100 Yards
    Marlin 1894CB 1:36" twist
    240gr Acme Hi-Tek
    24.2gr Reloder 7
    20 shots

4" Circle

Attachment 271529
    mine was ok at 100 yards but they fell over sideways somewhere between there and the 200mark - about covered the target paper (2Foot square) . Wano power was part of it those loads only doing about 1050fps --- when you on the edge just a few more rpm's can make the difference - a compressed 40 grain charge might have been enough. Brass gun - I dont hunt with it - usually shoot it closer - 200grain boolits are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    mine was ok at 100 yards but they fell over sideways somewhere between there and the 200mark - about covered the target paper (2Foot square) . Wano power was part of it those loads only doing about 1050fps --- when you on the edge just a few more rpm's can make the difference - a compressed 40 grain charge might have been enough. Brass gun - I dont hunt with it - usually shoot it closer - 200grain boolits are fine.
    Yeah, that's about all I can get with the 1:36'

Try a round nose and just load one at a time. Still really need 1:20 twist though.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Cowboy View Post
    All of this is really great information. It's nice to know that those 240 grainers will stabilize well out to 100 yards, even with a 1:36 twist.

Also great to know that bullets like the Accurate 43-230G work well even if they are a tiny bit longer than SAAMI spec. That widens my choices of molds.
    Be advised that I am using the Accurate 43-206H, 43-229H and 43-230G in the Gen1 Colt SA and New Service, but in Starline brass which is 1.285" long. Older Western, WRA and Rem-UMC cases may be as long as 1.305" and must be trimmed first or you may have issues.

Attachment 271844Attachment 271843Attachment 271845
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-21-2020 at 01:27 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I have new Starline and Winchester that is 1.300". I have some old Winchester cartridges I dissected that are almost 1.309. I am amazed at the different case length I have run across.

Boolit Buddy
    Good shoot'n Outpost !!

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Desperado Cowboy Bullets
    240 gr .430 , 20-alloy, 23.5gr Reloader 7 and CCI#350 primers. I shoot this in my 1873 Uberti/Winchester. It feeds flawlessly, is accurate and hits hard.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDMAGNUM View Post
    Desperado Cowboy Bullets
    240 gr .430 , 20-alloy, 23.5gr Reloader 7 and CCI#350 primers. I shoot this in my 1873 Uberti/Winchester. It feeds flawlessly, is accurate and hits hard.
    If I recall correctly, the "Desperado" bullets are cast from Magma molds. https://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/BBOct132008b.pdf

25gr of RL-7 with a Hornady SWC HP makes one heck of a load. It is very powerful. BUT I used a Marlin, may be too much for the 73'. I never actually tested this bullet for pressures.

25gr I think it was.....At 65 yards, I hit a deer in his shoulder broadside. It turned 90 degrees and traveled the full length of the spinal cord and lodges in the hind quarter. I did not dress the guy so I have no idea exactly what it hit to turn rather than pernitrate all the way through broadside. Either way, the deer never took one step and was a bit overkill at 65 yards!!!

However, I did use the Marlin 1894CB. Later tests yielded 1,400fps if I recall correct.

Attachment 271889

Attachment 271890

Attachment 271891

I trim both .44 Magnum and .44-40 brass to 1.285" using the Lee Quik-Trim and use the same bullets and loads in both.

Keeps life simple and the deer cannot tell the difference.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I trim both .44 Magnum and .44-40 brass to 1.285" using the Lee Quik-Trim and use the same bullets and loads in both.

Keeps life simple and the deer cannot tell the difference.
    How do you get a roll crimp that short? Or is it in the 1.270's were they are too short?

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    How do you get a roll crimp that short? Or is it in the 1.270's were they are too short?
    Redding Profile Crimp does the 1.285 cases fine, but not 1.270
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Redding Profile Crimp does the 1.285 cases fine, but not 1.270
    Ah yes, the Redding is awesome! I went and checked and I trashed almost 50 cases cause I trimmed them too short a while back. I think they were 1.278.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12