Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: best type of 9mm bullet (bullseye shooting)

Boolit Mold

best type of 9mm bullet (bullseye shooting)

I have been thinking of expanding into swage bullets (been reloading since 1990). I contacted David Corbin about a setup and he said they can do any setup I would like. Here is what he commented.

"The set can make open tip or small lead tip (soft point), and with the additional of a PUNCH-S PF EXT 355 FMJ base rolling punch, it can also make the military open base full jacket FMJ style. Open tip is better, though, all around. In a 3/4-E ogive or TC ogive it feeds well and offers a chance of expansion on impact"

So this brings me to a question as to which type of bullet is best for 9mm bullseye style shooting. I shoot with a HP browning made in 1980. I understand it's really not a bullseye pistol but it's what I have and California has limited my choices. Anyways, I have always reloaded with a FMJ open base round nose. Have had good results 4" circle at 10 yards most of the time. I have recently been using the Hornady 115 gr. Was using Nevada Bullets (now extreme) 115 gr. but it had a concave bottom instead of flat like it does now or like that on the Hornady.

Hornady on left old style Nevada on right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0839_0840.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	271403

If I am going for defensive shooting it would be a hollow point. So what style bullet is best for bullseye shooting. Or maybe it really doesn't matter?

By the way first post, so if I did something wrong . . . just let me know for the future.

Welcome to the forum!

Prior to investing in swaging dies, you might want to slug the barrel on that High Power, as I've slugged some that measured .358" in diameter, and shot .38 Special bullets better than 9x19 bullets.

Just a thought.

Hope this helps

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dbern View Post
    So what style bullet is best for bullseye shooting. Or maybe it really doesn't matter?
    Can't say. It isn't that it doesn't matter, it's just not predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Prior to investing in swaging dies, you might want to slug the barrel on that High Power, as I've slugged some that measured .358" in diameter, and shot .38 Special bullets better than 9x19 bullets.

Just a thought.

Hope this helps

Fred
    I second that... My old Highpower had a barrel that measured 0.3563 And that was a 6 inch Target model..

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Fred, M.A.D I never thought to slugged the barrel. I will do that prior to making any decisions, I appreciate the help

Boolit Master

Another caution: my father had a 9mm HiPower racegun built about 1970. It really is accurate, but the groove diameter is about .3575". If I assemble a cartridge with a .358" bullet, it will not fit in the chamber.

Boolit Buddy
    One of the nice things with swaging is with the correct jackets you can make almost any weight. As to what bullet type is best that depends on alot of various things like as has been stated what your barrel slugs at, the twist rate of the barrel as well as the chamber in the barrel. I would suggest looking at a design that feeds well then you can test different weights to see what your barrel likes. I prefer a 3/4E bullet shape if it will feed and if I planned to make HP bullets as well. Also what is your accuracy standard going to be? If it is say 4" @ 10 yards that should be easy to do, if it is 1/2" at 10 yards that will take more effort to achieve.
    Also if you powder coat/ Hi-tec coat you can do lead only bullets as well.

Boolit Master
    Our Bullseye experience has shown conicals t work best wether it the Zero 115 jhp or predecessor from Hornady HAPs. In lead the Lee 120 conical was good with either 3.0 bullseye or 3.5-231.

We have capabilities to shoot 2" groups, at 50 yards.

Boolit Master
    I agree with 475AR, slugging your barrel is the first place to start. I slug all my barrels using a water trap to capture very low velocity bullets, as I don't like the thought of hammering a steel rod down the barrel to push a slug through.

I don't shoot Bullseye, but I do Ransom Rest test my loads & bullets at 25 yards. I have no desire to walk 50 yards back & forth to hand test targets, so all my data is at a shorter range, but 25 yards is a more reasonable accuracy expectation for the vast majority of handgun users.

I powder coat my bullets and have several bullet designs that will easily group 1-1/2" or less at 25 yards. However, finding an accurate load for a firearm entails more than just the bullet.

If you are shooting 9mm for Bullseye, at some point you will likely shoot service pistol matches, be it Distinguished medal "Leg" matches or CMP Service pistol.
    There are restrictions on ammo used. Basically being, you have to replicate a service load to one degree or another.
    You would do well to ask at the Bullseye L Forum or Targettalk forum.
    Best handloads with do 1" at 50 yds in a match grade gun out of a Ransom Rest.

No sense trying to reinvent the wheel.