Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Looking for 9mm revolver powder puff loads

Boolit Master

Looking for 9mm revolver powder puff loads

I'm look for some advice on loading some 9mm very light loads. Pistol is S&W 929. Bullet is 115gr powder coated . Powder selection is BE, UNIQUE, 231, tightgroup, red blue green dots, autocomp and CFE pistol. Was leaning towards the BE tightgroup 231 as I think they would be fast enough. The goal is to load a very wimpy load used for indoor cardboard shoot comp. I was looking at 38sw data as case capacity is close but figured I would ask if anyone has any experience with mouse fart loads

Boolit Master
    I've used red-dot in 9mm under light bullets using .38 S&W data with good results.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

I have a 929 and have done what you are trying to do. The 38S&W loads you are looking at work fine.

Boolit Master
    My problem is finding 115gr data for the 38sw. Most Are for much heavier boolets

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    My problem is finding 115gr data for the 38sw. Most Are for much heavier boolets
    Any 38S&W data you find for heavier boolits will be quite safe with the 115 gr in your 929.
    I have been doing something similar with my 38 special loads. I have been using 38 long colt data with a 125 grain boolit. Very light and useful for practice. It even shoots to the same point of aim as my full power 158 grain loads due to the extra time in the barrel.

If you want an even lighter load, get hold of a Lee 95 RF mold.
    Last edited by tazman; 11-14-2020 at 10:48 PM.

The one that fills the case the most is the one I would use. It is easier for a progressive loader to stay consistent with larger volume powder drops. Red Dot, or Trail Boss would be my preferred powders. A squib/light load going half way down a barrel in the revolver could allow you to fill the barrel with lead before you can stop your trigger finger from shooting.

Boolit Master
    Well going to try 2.4 231 as that's as low as the dump on my dillon will go.

That should give you about 650fps. A very soft shooting load and lots of fun. It may shoot a bit low for you but probably not a lot.
    In my 929, the light loads were just as accurate as the hot loads.
    Please let us know how it works for you.

Boolit Master
    Well shot em last night. Was just enough to drop most of the steel tippers . Definitely a very light load. Definitely don't want to go any lower as I don't think I could tell the difference between a squib or not fast enough. Might bump it up to a even 2.5gr of 231. Definitely can shoot faster with almost zero recoil. It's like a air gun lol

That was my experience as well. I am using 3.1 of Bullseye with a Lee 125 grain RNFP and love it.
    I use the same load in my 38 special for practice rounds and teaching new people to shoot.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    That was my experience as well. I am using 3.1 of Bullseye with a Lee 125 grain RNFP and love it.
    I use the same load in my 38 special for practice rounds and teaching new people to shoot.
    My first thought was my 38 special target load charge ... 2.7 grains Bullseye .
    A 9mm boolit of 115 , 120 or 124 grains would be a nice light target load.
    3.1 grains Bullseye also sounds about right , try both and check accuracy .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    This thread was right on target for me. I bought a Smith 986 a year or so back since I grew up on revolvers, and to companion my Shield 9's. I thought that it would allow my now growing arthritic ands and wrists some relief from the recoil of the light autos due to its stainless weight. Well I was mistaken. I couldn't believe how much more recoil was being felt in the 986 ( in spite of replacing the wooden grips with rubber). This was using my 9mm lightened up reloads from my practice auto rounds. So the revolver use has been basically stopped and it sit in my safe.

So this thread has provided the push get off my butt, quit that and load separate lighter rounds for the 986 than those needed to make my autos function.

Thank you, Funny Jim
    LouB

That is one of the fun parts about loading for a revolver. You can load light and the gun will still function.
    Light boolits and light powder charge makes for a fun time and good practice that isn't as tiring as full power loads, especially for those of us who have arthritic hands and wrists.
    Not to mention the economy factors of less lead and powder use.

Yep, either upping the powder or going to a 124/125 grain bullet with the same powder charge would probably give close to 100% target flipping reliability. I am loading 38 S&W for solid frame colts and have fun with both light and stout loads.

Talking about light loads, when I loaded a Lee cast 125 grain 9mm sized to .356 bullet in 38 special with 2.8 grains bullseye, some made a bit of a weak sound. When they were sized to .358 and loaded a bit deeper in the case, they made a consistent bang. I now use Lee’s 125 RF sized to .358 or not even sized with 2.8 grains bullseye for cowboy action and light training duty. Works great.
    Last edited by smkummer; 11-21-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    Thats the problem with the 38spl...the case volume can create erratic velocity when loaded too light. With the9mm i dont seem to be having any issues with power position like I did in my 38. Bumper up the load to 2.5 of 231. We see how they do tomorrow I also forgot to mention I sized em fat at 358 . I was getting some leading with my other loads at 356 so I figured to give it a go at 358