Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Six cavity .40 cal molds

Six cavity .40 cal molds

Forty / 10mm is the only caliber I have shot for a long time but had not cast for over the years.

Not long ago I bought the two styles (2 SWC and 1 TC) of the Lee .40 cal 6 cavity molds. After extensive load testing, functionally in all of my .40 handguns from Beretta, S&W, 1911 and Tanfoglio they perform (no chronographing yet) identically. I've powder coated and loaded very close (depending on which published data I read) to the Accurate #5 max loads for FMJ and have not had a single feed, eject/extract, accuracy or pressure issue in four, five, or six inch barrel lengths. Add to that in terms of sheer production they beat the tar out of my many four cavity molds from Lyman, so I'm a very happy camper. So I wish they made the 401-145 in a 6 cavity version to try, I will not go back to a 2 or 4 cavity style.

Does anyone know of another maker who offers a custom or OTC 130-145 grain SWC or TC mold in 5, 6 (or more) cavity?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lee_40cal_bullet_styles.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	271399
    Regards,

Gary

Moderator Emeritus

I had Arsenal Molds make a custom 5 cavity mold, nearly a clone of the Lee 41 cal 195gr SWC (which is only available in 2 cav from Lee), but I specified a couple modifications to Lee's design, I had the Crimp groove moved for optimal COAL for my Henry 41M BB and the front edge of the driving band radiused.

Accurate molds also make Customs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Thanks, I just wrote Arsenal, I had no idea they might do special request builds.

I've been told by "those in the know" that the .40 is a "dead" caliber but given that I've seen molds disappear by the hundreds on Amazon and Ebay I think I'm in good company.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Buddy
    I have had the same question for a while. The Lee 145 shoots great in all my 40's. Has anyone asked Lee if they could make a run of 6 cavity molds?

Boolit Buddy
    NOE has 5 cavities for some of their 40 cal molds.

The 145gr profile made me question whatever it would feed reliably, it looks like revolver bullet profile. I wish they had something like 165gr as an option. Also I don't understand why one of the 175gr is much taller than the other? I would think that with the big lube groove taking away some weight that bullet should be taller to make up the weight, not other way around. The taper looks the same. I have one coming my way from Midway tomorrow as well as new NOE 5 cav I picked up for sale in the commercial section. You're right about not ever wanting to go back to less cavities, just wait till you get MP 8 cav mold without lube grooves, it just rains bullets and they fall out as you open the mold.

So Accurate #5 your favorite .40 goto powder?
    Last edited by dimaprok; 11-15-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Yep, I saw off these, was just looking at myself couple days ago. I wanted the 8 cavity no lube groove, not HP. Like this but in 8 cav and no HP. https://www.mp-molds.com/product/402...o-lube-groove/

After getting 8 cav in 9mm, I can't say enough how awesome it is for mass production.

Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    Yep, I saw off these, was just looking at myself couple days ago. I wanted the 8 cavity no lube groove, not HP. Like this but in 8 cav and no HP. https://www.mp-molds.com/product/402...o-lube-groove/

After getting 8 cav in 9mm, I can't say enough how awesome it is for mass production.
    I think Miha’s limit for 8cav is .360”, anything larger is made in 6cav. I heard he was thinking of making 7cav .40 cal solid moulds but it would be to much of logistical nightmare, he already has many sprue plate sizes to deal with.....I think you are stuck with 6cav max?

Boolit Master
    I've used the Lee 175 TL in my Winchester 1892 38-40 for some time, very accurate. It doesn't work at all in the 1873 or Colt Lighting though. Crimp in the first TL groove.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    >>SNIP<<So Accurate #5 your favorite .40 goto powder?
    No Actually I have lots of varied powders on hand and #5 is just one I want to use up!
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
    Thanks, I just wrote Arsenal, I had no idea they might do special request builds.

I've been told by "those in the know" that the .40 is a "dead" caliber but given that I've seen molds disappear by the hundreds on Amazon and Ebay I think I'm in good company.
    Yes Arsenal does some custom work, but it often isn't super fast. For custom work, either Mountain molds or Accurate molds are the best. Accurate has the following, as well as a number of variants in the catalog. He can do a 5 cavity. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=40-140Y-D.png

As for those who say 40 caliber is dead, it is not true at all. 40 S&W is as popular as it has been, and 10mm auto has seen a gain recently.

Boolit Grand Master

When I was looking for additional designs for the 41 Magnum (Lyman discontinued all 41 cal moulds and Lee makes a grand total of only 2 designs ... (one being a tumble lube) I don't like TL .
    I found many different designs and weights at NOE moulds ... I have all I want / need now .
    Check out their web site www.noebulletmolds.com
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I had Bullseye flycut the bevel base off the LEE TL 175 gr. SWC.
    Drops at 156-159 gr. depending on the alloy in the pot. Very pleased with the accuracy.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Well, I've had enough time with both .40 molds (401-175 SWC and TC) and I find the feed in all of my handguns, and are equally accurate though I haven't shot them at distances beyond 75'. If others who have both molds experiences with the two I'd appreciate hearing.

I'm all done PC and sizing the SWC's and am in the middle of sizing the TC's but I found the TC's are a bit harder to size. IIRC the SWC's are .001" as cast smaller and luckily with the PC on they size. So... I have on order a second 6 cavity TC mold and I'll be up to speed shortly depleting my lead supply
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    We used to have Lee do custom group buy molds, but quality and shipping times were absolutely terrible.

Of course that was probably 10 years ago now, so maybe they've improved in those areas.

Arg. This was intended to be a reply to user ".455 Webley" but the stupid forum software won't let me delete and recreate my post to properly quote his. My mistake of course, replying without quoting.
    Last edited by AlaskaMike; 12-06-2020 at 01:13 AM.