Load DataInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ponsness Warren Shotshell reloaders

Boolit Bub

Ponsness Warren Shotshell reloaders

Im thinking of getting a Shotshell reloader and would like to know opinions about the Ponsenss Warren Reloaders.
    Are they any good?
    Are they easy to learn to use?
    Can parts be got is something breaks?

Just some info like the about for a beginner in shotgun reloading.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    They are good loaders, I had a few old ones that I was having a hard time finding parts for. New one should be good to go, don't dismiss the MEC loaders I've loaded thousands of shells on my grabbers. MEC is half the price of a PW progressive, and you couldn't tell the difference in the loaded shell.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had an older 800 and now have an 800+ with the AutoDrive. Love it. I had a Spolar and preferred the 800+.

The dies cannot be removed on the older units, and that makes clearing a boo boo more of a PITA. Get one of the newer units and you will be happier.

The MEC is not even close to a PW. I have had three MEC’s...all gone.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Had them growing up in the 1960's, My Dad loved them.
    They are head & shoulders above the Mec or Hornady.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I started loading with a pair of PW 800B’s in 12 and 28 . Soon I added PW 800C’s in 20 and 410 . After two years I sold the pair of 800B’s and replaced them with 800C’s . At the time I also had a PW 375 with two heads for 16 and 10 3 1/2” . I later sold them all when I got out of the competitive shotgun games , thinking I’d never need to load in quantity for shotguns any longer. And of course that changed and I started picking up used MEC 9000’s and 600JR’s . Now I’ve got 9000’s for the 12-16-20-28 and 410 with 600JR’s or Sizemaster for 8-10-12-16 and 20 . The single stage for 8 and 10 load everything for them but the single stage for the others are for buck slugs and bismuth . Now back to your initial question , if price were no object I’d have PW progressives for the 10-12-16-20-28 and 410 I feel they make the best shotgun press money can buy . Oh yeah my main rifle press that I’ve been using almost forty years is a PW Metallic II !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy

I don't have a progressive shot shell loader but I do have a couple 375's and a couple MEC 600 Jr.'s.

I have called Posness Warren up a few times, they are quick to answer the phone and have good customer service. I have never called them about a issue that I couldn't figure out on my own.

They always know what parts I need and ship them quickly. One note; if its not on there web site, call and ask; its probably available as a part. Also, do diligence on part research, the receptionist on the other line is selling you parts, if you buy certain update kits there is a lot of duplication in parts like pre-crimpers.

On MEC's, I have ordered parts from there web site for the older (pre-85') and was able to get it (I ordered a pre-85 sizer assembly for a 16 gauge). I find them a little more finicky and recommend a adjustable bar system instead of bushings.
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

I personally don't like the way they operate. I don't like Spolars either as they are nothing more than nicely made PW's. I have had all of the above.

I have a Pacific DL366 which makes really nice shells if I need a volume of them.(400+ per hour is plenty fast unless you are loading for a club) Mostly load on a Pacific DL266 single stage which I consider the best single stage ever made. I have 12 ga and .410 DL266's. I load all my slugs on that machine.

So far the best Progressive Shot Shell Loader I've had was a Dillon SL900 and I even sold that as I didn't need to produce that many shells. But it was faster and easier to use than anything I've ever had. I got offered 3X what I paid for it so I decided it needed to go.

Hot tip to make the Hornady DL366 run faster is to size and deprime off the machine first. That eliminates alot of fumbling around moving the hulls form the sizing station to the priming station by hand. If you start with deprimed hulls you go directly to the priming station and you can move much faster. I use a Lachmiller Sizer Deprimer for this and they are the best tool of their type ever made.

My .02

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    Thank for the responses. A lot to think about. I'm gonna see what I can find On the used market first.

Goto www.trapshooters.com and you'll find a variety of machines from a single stage MEC to Hydraulic Driven Spolars and everything in between.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Moderator Emeritus

I started out in the early '60s, loading 12 and 20 gauge with a Pacific DL-100, then moved up to a MEC 600 in the 70's. In the late 70's or early 80's I met a man that quickly became my best hunting and shooting buddy, to this day.

He had a P-W 375, after comparing the quality of his reloads with mine, I bought a P-W 375 and later another 375, both in 12 gauge. During the years, I have added conversion kits for 3" 12 gauge, 16 gauge, and 10 gauge. You will be totally satisfied with the 375 unless you are a serious competitor, then you will need a progressive press.

Hope this helps you, Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Grand Master
    In my original post, I assumed you wanted a progressive machine. If not, I have two PW 375’s and they are excellent if quantity is not a important consideration.

Mr Buchanan and I disagree but that is not uncommon when it comes to questions like this. If you want a progressive shotshell reloader the PW 800+ is the best I have ever used. Having to size off the press with the Hornady is a real negative....much like those who need to prime off the press to make some brands of metallic progressive reloaders work....

BTW, I also had a Dillon 900....the worst machine Dillon has ever brought to market. I shot competitive trap for over a decade, and never met a good shooter who had one. I sold mine after two months of frustration.

The only other name brand is the RCBS Grand. The only top competitor I knew who used one was Leo Harrison. Leo may have been the best trap shooter ever. He was sponsored by Federal and was given the machine as part of his package. He was a true gentleman and never said anything negative about the press...but never recommended it either...enough said.

If money is tight, the MEC 9000 is a good option. I could never get mine to work as well as the PW, but that may my lack of ability. A lot of competitive shooters use them.
    Don Verna

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I have three Mec 600's a Pacific DL-155 and a PW 375C. I load 10,12,16,20 and soon 410. I started out in 1980 on the Mec's and have no issue on the quality of shotshell they produce as long as you use good quality components. Hulls that are in bad shape can't be made good by a higher price loader. The Pacific is about the same as the MEC except there's really no one to call for parts per say like MEC or PW. IMHO the best shells are produced by the PW. Like the 800 if you really need high numbers of production and your a circuit shooter or the 375 for non-club, average hunter/ occasional trap or skeet shooter. The 375 also lends itself to buckshot or slug loading too. I've never seen a better crimp on shotshells on a consistent basis, and a perfect crimp is the first factor that a reloader should do..

Last edited by MOA; 11-15-2020 at 05:52 PM.

I'm a big fan of the Ponsness-Warren 375's They are a great company to deal with and are located right here in Idaho. Fast and friendly service when you have a question or need parts. Gp

Boolit Master

I have Mec 600 jrs. in all gauges that I reload. I use them for less loaded recipes. But when I want high volume for skeet, I go to the PW. Production rate is 10 times as high and the quality is there. The one caution I'll give on PWs is that you better get in the habit of watching your powder and shot reservoirs. They empty really fast! It is a real PITA when you suddenly realize that the last X number of shells may or may not have powder in them! My PW is one of the best investments I ever made in reloading. It rates right up there with my Dillon 550Bs.

By sizing and depriming first you can wash your hulls in a Washing Machine and get them clean and not end up with water in the hulls.

The Pacific DL366's sizing station is separate and requires you to move the hull manually to the priming station. This slows things down. By sizing as a separate operation you introduce the sized and deprimed hull directly into the carousel and get true progressive action. IE: Insert Hull /Insert Wad, and pull the handle.

The Pacific DL366 now Hornady used to be the most popular Progressive Shotshell Loader out there.

With my Lachmiller Sizer I can do 20 hulls per minute easy. So doing this is not a problem.

Incidentally,,, Don Verna found me over at Trapshooters.com and told me about this place in 2008!

Best tip about the internet I have ever gotten from anyone. I do tend to spend alot of time here. Thanks Don!

Randy

Boolit Master
    A big selling point to many folks with the later PW progressive’s was the ability to change gauges . If I’m not mistaken you could do that with the 800C’s I used to have and of course you can with the present 800 Plus . And while it’s a heck of a lot more practical I like having a different machine for each gauge . If a person loads only one gauge of course that’s a moot point . I’d still like to have a progressive 10 gauge 2 7/8” loader and PW’s the only game in town , I can order an LS-1000 then ask them to make it for 2 7/8” for an extra $40 .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    By sizing and depriming first you can wash your hulls in a Washing Machine and get them clean and not end up with water in the hulls.
    I certainly realize different folks have different idiosyncrasies but WASHING shotgun hulls is a new one . And lord knows I’ve loaded as many shotgun hulls as many and more than most . I’ve seen guys trash dive for paper Federals and dry them in the cooking stove but never heard of washing . Quite frankly if I’m that worried about how pretty they look I’ll just use once fired AA’s or STS’s .

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Over the years I've occasionally gotten boxes of club shot AA hulls that we're just filthy. I decided the best way to deal with it was to punch out the primer toss about 100 hulls at a time in a nylon mesh bag an into a frontloader washing machine. Little bit of soap (liquid) an they all came out nice and clean.

Boolit Grand Master

I've have a MEC 600JR, a MEC Sizemaster, and a PW 375 at the moment. I love the Ponsness Warren 375, it is the best of the best of the single stage presses.

Are they any good? Yes

Are they easy to learn to use? They are the easiest shotgun reloading press to learn.

Can parts be got if something breaks? Yes, although I will admit PW parts are a little more expensive than MEC.

I would highly recommend a Ponsness Warren for a beginning reloader. You will not regret it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

The Pacific DL366's sizing station is separate and requires you to move the hull manually to the priming station. This slows things down. By sizing as a separate operation you introduce the sized and deprimed hull directly into the carousel and get true progressive action. IE: Insert Hull /Insert Wad, and pull the handle.

The Pacific DL366 now Hornady used to be the most popular Progressive Shotshell Loader out there.

With my Lachmiller Sizer I can do 20 hulls per minute easy. So doing this is not a problem.

Incidentally,,, Don Verna found me over at Trapshooters.com and told me about this place in 2008!

Best tip about the internet I have ever gotten from anyone. I do tend to spend alot of time here. Thanks Don!

Randy
    Thanks Randy. I have not spent much time on TS since dropping out of competitive Trap shooting. I need to sell one of the K-80’s so need to get back there. Heck might sell them both! Seems silly to have a $10k+ gun to bust clays at the local club.

This is an excellent forum and I am glad you have enjoyed it.

BTW, it is OK to differ on the merits of shotshell Reloaders....

Hope you and your family are doing well
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast