Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question: RCBS or Lee

Boolit Master

I would opt for the RCBS Rock Chucker; simply because the one on my reloading bench has worked well for me over many hundreds of thousands of Pistol and Rifle since 1975. (1hole, Sorry about upstaging your 35 years with my 45 year machine - I am sure someone on the site will report an even longer use of a Rock Chucker).

For my 50BMG I use a dedicated Lee Classic Cast 50 BMG Single Stage Press Kit.

For swaging I use a Corbin CSP-1 S press (since 1989 or so). Also use this for reloading pistol and rifle ammo when I have the Rock Chucker set up with BT Snipers Auto Eject apparatus and 5/16 Copper Tubing Jacket maker dies and do not want to take it apart.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Bub
    MEC Marksman Press, Lee Pistol dies can't go wrong with that set up. No buyers remorse.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bpimwheel View Post
    I need to get a manual reloading press, but Im not sure which is the best for the money.
    How do you want to approach it?

Get into reloading as inexpensively as possible to see if you like it? And then if you do, upgrade your press later if it has characteristics/shortcomings that annoy you? Or decide reloading isn't for you, sell your inexpensive equipment even more inexpensively as used equipment, and it didn't cost you much.

Or subscribe to the buy once, cry once philosophy? Where you may never sell it, and you start where you end up being happy with your equipment. Or again, deciding it isn't for you, and get a pretty good return on the sale of your barely used more expensive equipment. You end up having the trial of reloading costing you a bit more money in the end.

But perhaps not having the minor and major aggravations of the less expensive equipment didn't become part of the reason you decided reloading/bullet casting wasn't for you.

No guarantees either way. After Dad told me it was time to buy my own press rather than always borrowing his Black Bair press, I started out with the cheapest Lee press(es) I could find back in the 70's for hunting. On the metallic side, that escalated to a Rockchucker. Which within a very few short months of starting to reload for handguns as well as hunting rifles, became a Bonanza Co-Ax, purchased at the White Elephant in Spokane in 1973 or 1974 (the original dirt cheap source of reloading equipment and components). The co-ax has been in constant use ever since then. Other than mass production of handgun and 5.56 rounds on a Dillon 650, all cast, jacketed, hunting, development reloading goes through the Co-Ax.

On the shot shell side, it shortly became a Ponsness Warren 375.

You probably won't like the price on the Co-Ax press, but the utility of changing calibers/different dies as quickly as you can slide them in and out of the slot in the press is a marvelous thing, particularly while fiddling around doing load development. And if you decide it's not for you... you won't have it for sale very long unless your asking price is nearly that of a new press.

My opinion only of course, but that Co-Ax has saved me many hours in just changing dies and shellholders during the intervening years. If I had to start selling my reloading presses, the Co-Ax would be the last one to go. BTW, after my Dad borrowed my Co-Ax to try it out, he made a trip to the White Elephant and bought his own Co-Ax, relegating the Bair press to something or other. I never asked, it had been moved to the end of his bench and was mostly gathering dust every time I went in the basement, but it was still there.

Whatever you decide to choose, if you buy used you can further minimize your initial cost in comparison to buying new, of course.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/forster...-model-b3.html

If reloading gear wasn't flying off the shelves right now, I would advise a LEE CLASSIC. All too often, people will invest heavily in a fully set up of gear. Press, dies, scale, etc. I have nothing against buying a quality product from the beginning if a person wants to. On the other hand, if a lesser expensive item will get them on the path of what they are wanting to do, I feel they would be better off. One can always upgrade later. I have nothing against LEE products. Without LEE, many would have never gotten into reloading or casting. Many, are still using the same gear they originally purchased long ago and it fits their needs. If a person is mainly looking at 90% of the loading to be handgun ammunition, then I would definitely say start with a LEE press. Keep it well maintained and it should last you many years.

Learning how to reload your own ammunition is never a bad thing. Given the timing, you have picked a rather difficult time to start. I haven't been watching the market in regards to the necessary equipment to get going, but I have the components. Best of luck on your new endeavor.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Great response and wonderful informative information from everyone here.
    Thanks much. Today a friend of mine gave me his rockchuker supreme as he bought a dillon progressive press. I want to start out on a single stage for rifle reloading only.
    Again thank you all for your input.
    Good friend.

Boolit Bub
    Again I thank all of you for your valuable knowledge.

Boolit Master

My first press was a Rockchucker, a great press that spreads spent primers all over the floor. My second press is a Texan c press inherited from my late brother. I have used it for loading pistol ammo with a ram extension that adds about a half inch to the top of the ram. It scatters primers about the same as the Rockchucker. My third press is a RCBS Reloader Special, purchased at a yard sale for $50. It included a Uniflow measure, scale (RCBS 5??)3 sets of RCBS dies, Lee hand primer, and 1 or 2 other items. It was maybe 3-5 years old. It spreads spent primers all over the floor. Hopefully my next press will contain spent primers better than these.
    Last edited by ulav8r; 11-14-2020 at 10:10 PM. Reason: typo
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    It spreads spent primers all over the floor. Hopefully my next press will contain spent primers better than these.
    Nah. But you may have the perfect reason why you NEED, the biggest bad-boy shop vac. they make.

Any project is the perfect excuse to justify buying more power tools. Try not to let this opportunity go by.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    My first press was a Rockchucker, a great press that spreads spent primers all over the floor. My second press is a Texan c press inherited from my late brother. I have used it for loading pistol ammo with a ram extension that adds about a half inch to the top of the ram. It scatters primers about the same as the Rockchucker. My third press is a RCBS Reloader Special, purchased at a yard sale for $50. It included a Uniflow measure, scale (RCBS 5??)3 sets of RCBS dies, Lee hand primer, and 1 or 2 other items. It was maybe 3-5 years old. It spreads spent primers all over the floor. Hopefully my next press will contain spent primers better than these.
    Well, my Lee turret drops spent primers through a tube into a garbage can or a bucket, my old Lee Challenger has a compartment on the side of the press the catches spent primers, my lee app press catches all the spent primers in a container, my lee hand press has a hollow ram that fills up with spend primers as does my inexpensive Lee C press. Soooo I can honestly say I’ve never had a problem cleaning up spent primers off the floor. Unless of course you count the time I knocked the container off the Lee APP press LOL.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

SPENT PRIMERS.

If you've ever used a Rock Chucker or similar style press with the slot for spent primers to drop down into the spent primer tray. Here's a little trick I read about. It's as close as it gets to solving having spent primers everywhere.

Pick up a nice sized plastic straw, any Quick Mart or whatever in your area will have them. The larger diameter the straw, the better. Cut off a piece and slip it into the recess the primers are suppose to drop down into the spent primer tray. Mine sits about a 1/4 inch below the shell holder and stops as close to the bottom of the recess as I can get it. It sure eliminated a whole lot of fuss & muss for me.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

I started out with a Lee Partner Press kit. Came with all the equipment needed (except for the dies. I still use Lee dies for hand gun rounds). When I started reloading Rifle (Bottleneck cases) I bought an RCBS Supreme Master Single stage press. I gave a friend my Lee Press Kit to get him started. I do not Deprime or Prime on th press though. I bought an FA Depriming tool and an RCBS Universal Shell Holder hand Priming tool. I use Hornady Custom Grade Dies for my bottle neck cases.

I recommend a Lee Press for someone buying their first Press for hand gun rounds.. Less start-up cost. Unless you can find a better deal on a better press cheaper Second Hand.

Boolit Grand Master

Are you sure you want to be a serious reloader or load some rounds on occasion? In either case I'd choose the Lee first to save some money and see how you like it. The Lee would still probably work no matter what but if your like most reloaders and decide you like doing it your going to end up with a few presses anyways.

I started with a Lee and have had no reason to change but that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a Lyman, RCBS etc if I saw one on sale just to try it out but truth be told I think you can get just as good loaded ammo if your careful with a Lee single stage as a Dillon. It comes down to the difference between a base Dodge Ram Pick Up and the Laramie. Both will work but one has more bells and whistles. Does that make difference to you? Not to me but everyone is different.
    Last edited by jonp; 11-15-2020 at 07:24 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    The Lee would still probably work no matter what but if your like most reloaders and decide you like doing it your going to end up with a few presses anyways.
    Aint that the truth.... atleast all my presses are Lee. So the Red reloading room color scheme matches. Lol might have to get some RCBS so it feels like Christmas all the time.

Owe and Luber Sizers..... wound up with two of those.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Don’t forget about used reloading equipment. I don’t think presses have a very big wear problem, unless abused or left to rust. You may find more for your money that way.

Boolit Master

I've used the straws for years but still have primers on the floor. When I bought my Rockchucker, Lee did not have any presses. If I was buying a new single stage press it would probably be a Lee Classic Cast but I would prefer to spend my money on a progressive for loading pistol ammo.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
    I have yet to personally know a person who loads buy their first press and stay with that one model or brand.
    Hi, my name is Walter and I'm still using my Dillon SDB which I bought in '83 for the amazing sum of $129.95

I also have two Lee Classic presses for rifle, cartridge tear down and bullet sizing.

you can use Dillons as single stage presses while you learn what each station does.

You did get a great press in start on, no doubt about it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned

When I started reloading I was working at one of the best places in town for a husband and father/grandfather to work, pay, insurance and benefits. I decided to start with Lee because I heard many good reviews on Lee, I liked the price per value and if I decided I didn't like the "hobby" I wouldn't be in too deep finance wise.
    Since then I have purchased all the equipment I need, most is Lee, some is RCBS and some is Lyman. I have NO qualms with any other brand. Now I am on a fixed income and if I need another piece of tooling and Lee makes it, I can afford it.
    You need to read the previous posts well, think about the advice you have already gotten and decide which is most important to you. Then make your decision on which equipment you want. Then get a manual, read the informational section twice. And start having fun. If you have any questions you are coming to the right people.

Thanks much. Today a friend of mine gave me his rockchuker supreme as he bought a dillon progressive press. I want to start out on a single stage for rifle reloading only.
    Again thank you all for your input.
    Tis a great thing to have friends that can help corrupt us and become a partner in crime.

That press will serve well and help build a good fundamental base and instill good repeatable habits. The press is but one of many tools used in this hobby and there are many differing ways to get to the same place. None being right or wrong, just different. Find a system that works for you and is repeatable and instinctive. This way when something doesn't seem right or feel right it usually isn't. Stop and investigate. When reloading as with other work do not force a tool to do something it was never meant to do. Many times people get stuck cases because they didn't follow that advice and figured it's just stiff, a little more force will fix it.

Good luck and enjoy the hobby.

Today a friend of mine gave me his rockchuker supreme as he bought a dillon progressive press. I want to start out on a single stage for rifle reloading only. Again thank you all for your input.
    That’s a great press that can do almost anything, and you will have it around for the rest of your life. Heck, your grandchildren will have it around for the rest of their lives as well.

Almost all the equipment by major manufacturers will work. People tend to like what they started off with, and recommend that to others. Though the Rockchucker is slow, it will not limit the quality of your ammo. However, if you load pistol ammo, you may want to get a turret press later. I ended up with a Lyman T-Mag II turret press to supplement my Rockchucker. They are both good, and the combination fills my reloading needs.

I recommend you deprime off the press. Depriming is dirty and the crud will wear your press faster. I use the Wilson hand punch and case blocks. It’s a very manual system. There are other systems that are faster. But I like this one.

The tension between volume production and just enjoying the reloading process, tools, and ephemera seems to define reloaders. For some, it’s a race to make as much ammo as possible in the shortest amount of time, albeit high-quality ammo. For others, they just enjoy the attention to detail and the process itself. Whichever category you fall into, it will determine your second press. In the meantime, have fun, be careful, and enjoy.
    Last edited by fn1889m; 11-19-2020 at 12:56 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12