RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Hopkins and Allen 822 Souvenir

Boolit Mold

Hopkins and Allen 822 Souvenir

Howdy y'all, I'm new here and trying to get some information about an old rifle I ran across at a local shop. It's a Hopkins and Allen 822 Souvenir in 22. I'll try to post a pic soon . A local sporting goods shop must've bought somebodys 22 collection because they had over two dozen old 22's for sale last time I stopped by including the 822, a larger Savage with a similar action and a few other prewar rifles. The 822 is a jem with a couple of honest use dings in the rear stock but still in remarkable shape. It was just so light and handy and a perfect example of the craftsmanship of the day that I couldn't resist. I'd never seen anything else like it. I was wondering if I'm crazy to try shooting modern ammo in it. Also the trigger is remarkably stiff say at least ten pounds. Is that normal?
    Thanks

Dad always said gun control means using both hands when necessary.

Boolit Master
    I see a fair number of H&A 922-932s and the occasional 722, but the 822-832 is very uncommon. It is an underlever rolling block like a Stevens Favorite, except that there is no link; the underlever and breechblock are a single piece. Also, the hammer, when down, jams the breechblock shut against the thrust of firing, (like a real rolling block) while the Favorite holds together mainly by cramp in the linkage and a nodding acquaintance of the rear of the breechblock with the frame.

Nonetheless, if I were you, I would stick to standard velocity .22s with your rifle; a lot of the “kid’s rifles” of the Good Old Days were more testimonials to what you could get away with using black powder ammunition than sound examples of modern gun design.

I would check the trigger and sear notches if your trigger pull is that hard. Something may need to be recut down there. The fact that your specimen is in such good condition means it hasn’t been shot much; its proud young owner might have busted something on it early, cleaned it, put it away and went on to some other youthful distraction.

Does it actually say “Souvenir” on the barrel or action? Hardware stores or big outlets often bought large lots of rifles and rebranded them with their own designations, but that’s a new one on me.

The internal mechanics and some history of all the H&As are covered in deHaas’ Single Shot Rifles and Actions. And congrats on your rare find.