Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Roll crimping skived hulls

Roll crimping skived hulls

Question do any of you roll crimping skived hulls? I know unskived is likely better but to be bluntly honest no one has unskived hulls in stock. BP had them for about 24 hours then sold out again
    I have some loads I need to work up for the season but skived hulls is all I can find. Does anyone have issues roll crimping skived hulls? thanks
    Also hops the reload life of skived hulls?

Boolit Master
    I would suggest trimming the hulls to the length you need for a good role crimp .

I'm going to confess, right up front, that until about 6 years ago I had never reloaded a shotgun hull. My gunsmithing and reloading experience was entirely with rifles and handguns. Then I was gifted two very large boxes of fired 12 Ga. hulls (buckshot) from a police agency after their annual shotgun qualification.

My thrifty nature would not permit me to allow them to go to waste, so I brought my lack of knowledge here to the CB Forum, where a couple of knowledgeable members set me on the right course. I purchased a Lee Loadall II, wads, powder, shot; and upon learning that the hulls had originally been roll crimped, a roll crimping tool that works wonderfully well in my drill press. Most important, I think, was the purchase of the "Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook". An extensive background in reloading metallic cases and a stack of reloading manuals had never given me an inkling that shotshell loading needs to be so precise. A smart shotshell reloader uses only loads that have been pressure tested and published as safe. I've never been a big shotgun shooter, just hunting and a little trap. I eventually got all of the hulls reloaded with various loads, numbers of shot, etc., and turned out some very nice ammo, probably enough to last the rest of my life.

So, bearing all of that in mind, my experience plainly spelled out for you, I think that: (1) You could successfully roll crimp skived hulls, and given a good job of rolling they would prove very durable. But, if they were originally fold crimped and skived I doubt if you could satisfactorily convert them to rolled. (2) Because published shotshell loads are fairly precise in exactly what the load column must consist of, powder, shot cup, wads to achieve a safe load of a precise length that will crimp well, you might run into difficulty in this area if you trim the hulls back to eliminate the skived area. They might prove too short to crimp properly, and it's not a good idea to adjust by replacing components known to be safe with substitutes. So, there's my answer. I feel that there are other members more knowledgeable than I who could have replied, but maybe they all went to lunch!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005101.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	271410 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005104.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	271411

Generally Fold Crimped hulls need to be Fold Crimped and Previously Roll Crimped hulls Roll Crimped.

I have a tub with about 2500 New Win AA's and they will all get Fold Crimped back into service. I have what is left of some early AA's(better ones) which I have reloaded as many as 10 times. These have all been relegated to one way trips and left where they fall.

I am very big on Federal Blue Slug Hulls. I have a simple process using a mandrel and heat gun that I have shown here several times for refurbishing the Rolled portion of the hull back to nearly perfectly cylindrical. These Roll Crimp back closed perfectly numerous times.

I load these hulls with my Standard Trap Load (18 gr GD and Blue Clay Buster wad) and a Lee 1 OZ slug and Roll Crimped Closed.. These are used for shooting steel targets and they work well with decent accuracy from smoothbore barrels. Very light recoil.

On the other hand I also have a stash of O/F Rem STS Green Hulls and those have been relegated to being loaded with Lyman Slugs using the same basic load except for the different slug and then Fold Crimped Closed. These are for shooting in my A5 Rifled barrel an I am hoping for similar results as obtained by Hogtamer and Blood Trail, from that load and gun.

I have seen people trim back the crimped portion of the hulls and obtaining OK results going to Roll Crimp, but my own attempts have always produced mediocre results. IE: they didn't look that good. Sure they will fire and stuff will go out the barrel but you aren't going to get any consistent results.

AT my last Shotgun Class we patterned our guns using several different brands of Buckshot... I did Win and Fed. The Fed OOO was into a 3x3 pattern at 15 yards. Win OO was 5x4. At 5 yards Fed OOO was just over an inch with all the buffer and wad going thru the same hole. The Win OO was about 2x2.

Point being every type of load is going to shoot differently in every gun, and you've got to find out what works,,, and do that !!!

The Purpose of the 5 yard shots was to show what would happen if you use a Shotgun in a Hostage Situation. You kind of need to know exactly what your pattern will look like as generally you are aiming at the Perps outside ear. You need to take off that ear and about half his face with out hitting your wife.

If you don't know how your gun shoots,,, she may end up hating you for eternity?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    I just sent you a pm if you need any