Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: doesnt anyone shoot 45acps anymore

My RIA 1911 did not like my cast hand loads but shot factory just fine. Sent the barrel off to DougGuy and now there is nothing it won't eat. Now it is my favorite shooter.

Boolit Buddy

I find my 45 acp is less finicky to reload than 9x19. A low end load of 5.5 grains of Unique behind a 230 grain LRN makes one hole groups at 7 yards. It is boring accurate form my Springfield 1911A1.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    45ACP is my most UN-favorite hand gun to shoot! Worst investment I ever made. I have difficulty getting rounds to chamber and eject. Have tried shortening & messing with everything. I was hoping I could find one of those moon clips Rossi made for their long guns that shoot 45LC. W could easily shoot ACP's in those! They discontinued them. I may have to hog one on the mill if I could get some dims.

I can only shot commercial rounds in mine. Fortunate a bought a 1K ammo box of FMJ's a couple years ago at a LGS! Remember those? Used to be lots of fun.

I believe the ACP is falling out of favor. It sure did with me!

banger
    I dont believe its falling out of favor There will always guys that will favor this round

Boolit Master

I shoot one of my eleven 1911s in God's Caliber each week and recover my brass for reloading. I have a 4-gallon bucket filled w/ it, as well as a 50cal ammo can w/ my reloads. Am always in the hunt for more brass. Two of the ranges I goto have brass, but no one to separate it.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    45 acp and 38spl are my two favorite handgun rounds. I have an old Ballister Molina in 45acp that will eat anything including a boolit loaded backwards to make a wad cutter that I load flush with the case mouth. I also have a Springfield xds in 45acp that so far has been 100% reliable with all the cast and factory loads I have tried in it. I haven't looked for 45acp brass as I have more than I will ever use. Same with 38spl brass and with it being shot mostly in a Colt Officers Model 38spl, I never have to search for the brass.

Boolit Master

You mean there are other center fired cartridges!

I hve never left the Range I belong to without coming home with20 or 30 .45acp more than I shot. Sometimes as many as 50 more than I shot. I just don't understand why an avid shooter would not reload for what he shoots. IF I find .45acp Cases NIB at the Gun Shop I will buy as much as I can at that time too.

Boolit Grand Master

Attachment 271394

I hate mine so much I take it with me wherever I go...

I also have 4 different 1911's but HATE picking up brass.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned

When I first started getting serious about handloading maybe 30 years ago, any range you went to you could haul off truck loads of 9mm brass from any range, but .45 shooters kept theirs. I don't shoot on public ranges much anymore, but for the past ten years or so, I could haul off more .45 ACP than 9mm, and ten times that of .40 S&W. Maybe your problem is regional, but from where I stand, the .45 ACP is more popular than ever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    45ACP is my most UN-favorite hand gun to shoot! Worst investment I ever made. I have difficulty getting rounds to chamber and eject. Have tried shortening & messing with everything. I was hoping I could find one of those moon clips Rossi made for their long guns that shoot 45LC. W could easily shoot ACP's in those! They discontinued them. I may have to hog one on the mill if I could get some dims.

I can only shot commercial rounds in mine. Fortunate a bought a 1K ammo box of FMJ's a couple years ago at a LGS! Remember those? Used to be lots of fun.

I believe the ACP is falling out of favor. It sure did with me!

banger
    what kind of 45 do you own. Ive got kimber colt and springfield 1911s a M&P compact and glock 30 and they all run like sewing machines. Ive had a couple bad 1911s in the past (mostly the older springfields) and had on xd and my buddy bought one at the same time when they first made a 45 and they were crap. But even the xds and springfield 1911s made in recent times are great guns. Most of the complaints ive heard of 45acps not being reliable were guys who bought those cheap 4-500 dollar import 1911s. If all you have is 500 dollars buy a M&P or a used glock. theres just something relaxing about going to the range with a GOOD old school 1911 and listening to its dull boom vs the crack of something else and throwing those big chucks of lead down range. Every time i do it i wonder why i dont shoot them more.

In the big picture they even make more sense for concealed carry. Yup my officers kimber only holds 7 rounds. But then raise your hand if you even had to use your concealed carry gun and find me a case where a guy shot 7 times and ran out of ammo that wasnt a soldier or police officer. That little officer 1911 actually prints less them my glock 43 or smith shields to and you can quote me all the fbi studies in the world but if i had to get shot id take getting shot with a 9mm any day over a 45 with a 200 grain hp. Dont get me wrong. I love 9s and even 40s. Probably shoot more 9s then all other calibers combined but thats becasue there cheap to shoot. Couple gains of powder a primer and half the lead of a 45. Want moon clip gun? Get yourself a 4 inch smith 25. Mines a great shooting gun. I guess i dont see much advantage to shooting acps in a 45 colt rifle. Yup brass is a bit cheaper but at 45 acp velocitys 45 colt brass lasts A LONG TIME and with the acp brass your going to get alot of gunk in the chamber of your 45 colt thats going to be a bugger to clean.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Attachment 271394

I hate mine so much I take it with me wherever I go...

I also have 4 different 1911's but HATE picking up brass.
    love that thing!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    When I first started getting serious about handloading maybe 30 years ago, any range you went to you could haul off truck loads of 9mm brass from any range, but .45 shooters kept theirs. I don't shoot on public ranges much anymore, but for the past ten years or so, I could haul off more .45 ACP than 9mm, and ten times that of .40 S&W. Maybe your problem is regional, but from where I stand, the .45 ACP is more popular than ever.
    i dont go to public ranges anymore. At least rarely do. I have my own range. Used to have guys bring me over brass all the time. For a while it was 45acp then came the 40s and about all I got from my cop buddys and prison guard buddys was 40s. Then recently the 9s took over. When you can find 9s there usually half the price of 40s or 45s anymore. Used to be you could hardly give away 40 brass now its almost as rare in the classifieds as 45 is. It may be a regional thing rich but i watch on here and on a couple other forums and i havent saw any 45acp in months and very little 40s either and when there selling the there pretty proud of it. I guess my main reason is that i have so much 9 and 40s loaded that my stash of 45s looks small in comparison and winters just starting and im already about out of reloading projects. The 556 loading will be done today and then i have about a 1000 9s i shot in the last month to load back up and i need a project. that and i might break down and by pc carbine of some sort in 45 and then my use will probably double overnight.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to shoot a lot of .45's and had three Kimbers in that caliber. Had a 1050 set up in .45 and never loaded anything else on it. Wound up selling it as I was not using it. One Kimber I gave to my son, and a buddy is buying the other one. I will be down to one and not sure I will keep it. If I did not have 8k bullets for the .45 I would sell the last .45 for sure. Might sell/trade the LP brass for SP so I do not have to switch our primer systems.

I used to carry the Kimbers, but once I stopped being such a gun snob, went to those evil plastic pistols. Lot's of reasons why I drifted away from the .45's, but the one was the triggers on the Kimbers were too good and I was worried about an AD if I got into a situation were I was crapping my drawers and pumped up on adrenaline.

I like having more than 7 rounds in a carry gun and not needing a spare magazine. Then with the Glocks in .40 I can get a 9mm barrel and mags and have two popular calibers on one frame with a 5 minute change over. The newer bullet technology closed the performance gap the .45's had as well.

I shoot both 9mm and .40's in the semi's and have not fired a .45 in 5 years. 9mm and .40 brass is so cheap, I do not get anal about losing a few. Mostly shoot .38's for fun now as i hate picking up brass.
    Last edited by dverna; 11-14-2020 at 09:19 AM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I don't shoot .45 ACP's any more but then I don't shoot them any less, with 6 of them I shoot some every week.

Boolit Master

Several decades ago (at least 35 years ago) I would occasionally have problems with chambering on a .45acp round. Started using a taper crimp die for .45ACP and have not had a problem since. I also use taper crimp dies for 9mm and 40 S&W; as well as .223, .308, and 30-06 when loading cast bollits.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I put together a 45 from parts I picked up here and there, cheapest stuff I could find. (poor man's 45)
    Built on an Essex frame.
    It will chamber a piece of empty brass from the magazine.
    All just a matter of getting things right.

Boolit Master
    I love my old 1911. It shoots quite well and gobbles up anything I load for it. It's sad that we are so susceptable to fads in both guns and cartridges.

I also love my .357 Black Hawk and S&W .44 mag. Both are highly accurate and, like the .45 ACP, they shoot well above the league of current pop-gun cartridges. In fact, the highly hyped 9mm wonder gun is little more than a .38 +P with light-for-caliber bullets!

I believe a .357 revolver is still the best all-around rig for all shooters and all purposes on the market; it far out performs the 9 and 10 mm.

Reloads that won't easily chamber rises from ONE problem; they're too big in one or more dimension - find that and fix it. Perhaps the most common cause of jamming is reloading oversized cast bullets.
    Last edited by 1hole; 11-14-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Don't really have a problem with .45ACP brass.
    I have lots stashed away.
    Always seems to be some laying around at the two gun clubs where I have memberships.
    Sometimes other shooters will give me their fired brass.

I usually have to sweep the fired 9mm brass off the wooden deck at one of the gun clubs, there is generally so much of it laying around that it isn't safe to walk. I have thousands of that caliber also.

What I never find is big bore revolver brass...probably haven't found more than a dozen or so pieces of any caliber over .38/357 this entire year.
    I did find a few pieces of .45AE brass laying around the rifle range one day about a year ago.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I just loaded 1200 45’s with LBT 452-230-LFN over 7.8gr VV3N37, shoots very good in the SR1911 Dougguy throated for me.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast