Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 98 SR Rifle Stock Project

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    That looks great! You're very talented.
    My wife calls it being Bull Headed.

Very nice, congrats. Good wife advice, keep her.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Yes, she is a keeper.

Boolit Master
    Nice thanks for sharing pics of your talent.

Boolit Buddy
    I like! What wood is the forend tip made of?

Boolit Grand Master

post #7 he says "Checkering is 20 to an inch and the grip cap and forearm piece are Black Palm"
    Charter Member #148

Should make up one beautiful stock

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Should make up one beautiful stock
    I sure hope so. My wife says I have the same traits as you!
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    My wife says I like trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear. She says she knows I can see the finished product in my mind even when she can not. I think it came from working on antique furniture for over 40 years. I used to have a little one man furniture repair and refurnishing shop. People would show up with things that they though were beyond repair and leave it with me. I would tell them this may take time as I need to think on it, then I would lie awake at night trying to think of a repair.
    I am now working on taking a one piece rifle stock from some unknow rifle and turning it into a stock for a Lee British Enfield! Yes I have been lying awake at nights!! LOL

Wow...that sounds like a project. Is your intention to have the Lee Enfield in a one piece stock, or to turn the one piece stock into a two piece stock like the originals? I have seen two or three Lee Enfields in one piece stocks, but it involved removing most of the collar into which the original butt stock bolts. If I remember correctly, all were made from blanks.

Another thing to consider, a Mauser (for example) has two anchoring bolts for the receiver, one each at the front and rear of the trigger guard/magazine box. A Lee Enfield only has the one in front of the magazine well, and the stock bolt acts as the second, so you'd need to either retain the hole through the butt and a bolt to anchor the stock down, or weld/drill/tap an action bolt receptacle to the bottom of the collar.

Pre-existing stocks as from a Mauser will require a lot of inletting and maybe a lot of bedding compound to fill places that won't match up with the shape of the Enfield.

Anything can be done, but you're biting off more than I would. What's wrong with a nice, 2-piece Lee Enfield stock? They are what they are, and if you are truly a Lee Enfield fan the 2-piece stock just seems "right". Here's my latest, and probably my last.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006626.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	275669

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Wow...that sounds like a project. Is your intention to have the Lee Enfield in a one piece stock, or to turn the one piece stock into a two piece stock like the originals? I have seen two or three Lee Enfields in one piece stocks, but it involved removing most of the collar into which the original butt stock bolts. If I remember correctly, all were made from blanks.

Another thing to consider, a Mauser (for example) has two anchoring bolts for the receiver, one each at the front and rear of the trigger guard/magazine box. A Lee Enfield only has the one in front of the magazine well, and the stock bolt acts as the second, so you'd need to either retain the hole through the butt and a bolt to anchor the stock down, or weld/drill/tap an action bolt receptacle to the bottom of the collar.

Pre-existing stocks as from a Mauser will require a lot of inletting and maybe a lot of bedding compound to fill places that won't match up with the shape of the Enfield.

Anything can be done, but you're biting off more than I would. What's wrong with a nice, 2-piece Lee Enfield stock? They are what they are, and if you are truly a Lee Enfield fan the 2-piece stock just seems "right". Here's my latest, and probably my last.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006626.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	275669

DG
    It has been a fun project so far. Making the stock into a 2 piece stock. Started with a stripped Enfield MK 1 #3 action. Took awhile but did finally get all the parts together. Got one of those Rhineland 45acp conversion to use on the action. Picked up the stock for cheap because the person had no idea what it fit. Like you said took lots of filling where the action did not match the Enfield receiver.
    Been working on how to fit the buttstock and have a idea. Once I get it all finished I will post some pictures
    Hey! That is a really nice looking rifle. Great job!!!!!

How is your stock going?
    Last edited by brstevns; 03-02-2021 at 06:53 PM.

Very slowly, not doing much work on it, but I did start.

The ebony was doweled and dry fit, then glued with acraglas gel, same with grip cap but no dowel just glued. Lots of scaping and shaping left, the sugar maple is hard but butter compared to the ebony. I will update if I ever get anymoe done.
    That is looking really nice

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the kind words Bill.
    Charter Member #148

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12