MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Load Data

Thread: .22 Pistol Value?

.22 Pistol Value?

My boss offered me two pistols:

1) Iver Johnson Trailsman (copy of the Colt Woodsman). It’s in decent shape and does not name every time you shoot it.

2) H&R model 929. 9 shot revolver. Also decent shape.

Any idea of the price I should offer him?
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

I wouldn’t want either one to keep but $300-$400 for both. That’s in nice shape, I don’t know what decent means.

IME, in excellent condition, they usually change hands for about $300 (+/-).

If not in excellent condition (aka: pristine), the value goes down drastically.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Unless for some reason you really like these guns I'd steer clear of both of them. Buy a nice Ruger Mk IV or Single Six.

Thanks guys. To be clear, I have no interest, but wanted to help the boss move them.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

Iver Johnson Trailsman (copy of the Colt Woodsman). It’s in decent shape and does not name every time you shoot it

What does that mean?

To me a former dealer $150 each today is fair but at 200 each a no go.

When anyone asks me what I will give them for something, providing I want it, I always say a dollar.

There is exactly one for sale on gunbroker, Iver Johnson Trailsman Model 66 - Demonstration Model
    Starting bid was 250$, 300 people have looked, none have bid. That tells me it is priced at least 50$ more than it is worth, possibly 100$.

The H&R there are 2 for sale, one at 110$ with a single bid. The other at 227$ with 5 bids.

I would say average price should be roughly halfway between those two or 150$.

I'd probably throw a 300$ lowball bid at him, if he takes it accept the deal for what it is and be happy.
    If he does not or wants to haggle walk.

I learned a long time ago to buy guns that have interest for me, that for one reason or another tickle my fancy.
    I prefer not to spend money on guns that are offered unless it was already on my "I want one of these" list.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Like cars, jewelry, and other things, if you're not in the gun selling business-
    its almost impossible to get anything even close to a retail price for what ya got.

Those aren't exactly high end collector's items either, that makes getting a decent price even worse.
    I'd offer a couple hundred.
    If he doesn't take it, refer him to Gun Broker, and to recommend he make his best deal with a local FFL holder.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    If a friend needs money and offers to sell me a gun I will give them top dollar. If someone offers to sell me a gun I really want I will give them top dollar. I someone just wants to dump a gun on me they get low ball offer. If I really wanted a gun I already bought it unless it is just rare.

Does this guy think he is doing you a favor or is he asking your for a favor?

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I wheel and deal all the time. I will take guns that I have no interest in if the price is right. You must also consider the market for the gun. If you can’t sell or trade it at a profit you have lost money. Gun books are nice, they don’t mean squat to me. I pay my price or walk. Condition is main point. Good shape for age, decent are meaningless descriptions.

Boolit Grand Master

A girlfriend of mine had the Iver Johnson and I thought it worked ok. I wouldn't give more than $150 for one, though.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    There is exactly one for sale on gunbroker, Iver Johnson Trailsman Model 66 - Demonstration Model
    Starting bid was 250$, 300 people have looked, none have bid. That tells me it is priced at least 50$ more than it is worth, possibly 100$.

The H&R there are 2 for sale, one at 110$ with a single bid. The other at 227$ with 5 bids.

I would say average price should be roughly halfway between those two or 150$.

I'd probably throw a 300$ lowball bid at him, if he takes it accept the deal for what it is and be happy.
    If he does not or wants to haggle walk.

I learned a long time ago to buy guns that have interest for me, that for one reason or another tickle my fancy.
    I prefer not to spend money on guns that are offered unless it was already on my "I want one of these" list.
    The Iver Johnson Trailsman on gunbroker is not a gun, it is a gun-shaped-object. It's a demonstrator model, no firing pin, no real barrel. Personally, I like Iver Johnson break-top revolvers. I don't have any interest in GSO's. From the look of that listing, neither does anyone else.

Boolit Master

My LGS sells the H&R for 125-175 OTD depending on condition. The Iver Johnsons he don't have them very often.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master
    In my neck of the woods, the H&R would run for 175-275 bucks, with the Iver Johnson running 150 to 200 in very good condition. The IJ Colt Copies were reported to have problems with soft steel being battered by recoil, but the only one I ever examined seemed all right after moderate use.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.