WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Winchester ladder site

Winchester ladder site

I have this type of site on my old 1920's era 94 src . I'm trying to figure outa a way I can lock it into let's say the 300 yd setting mark . The way it is now it just a friction fit on the slide no detent or anything that holds it in place at what I set it at . Can anyone think of a way I can lock it into a setting without altering it from its original form ? If not I guess I'll have to get a lower front blade but there not easy to find either as it has a small bead on the top of it not just a plain blade
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Can you cut and form a thin strip of sheet metal to fit around the ladder to hold the slide at the required height ?

Boolit Man

My thoughts are:
    I would make a piece that goes on the breach side of the site that has two fingers that go over the outboard top of the sight slider with a small screw hole in the center below the slider. On the muzzle side a flat piece that would bridge the site with a corresponding hole for the screw. Use a small screw and nut (or tap the piece) to lock the hole shebang on the sight without any modification to the sight itself. Brass shim stock might be a good material to work with. If it is thin enough the sight will lay flat or almost flat when closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Can you cut and form a thin strip of sheet metal to fit around the ladder to hold the slide at the required height ?
    That's a possibility it would be fairly small as the 300 yd setting isn't that far off the bottom of the staff .

Brass and lead , good idea but the ladder is still solid below the slide at that point .

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've drilled and tapped the slide and used a small thumb screw to lock them n place. On an old Sharps business rifle I had, a friend removed the original slide, and made an aperture that would screw together to grip the ladder. I liked that.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Degrease it well, then put a drop of Loctite under the slider where you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Degrease it well, then put a drop of Loctite under the slider where you want it.
    Slaps forehead with hand ! Thank you . Simple and easy the way I like it . That should work perfectly