MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Powder Coating help

Boolit Bub

Powder Coating help

Hi everybody. I've been reading a lot about PC and it sounds interesting enough that I would like to give it a try. Does anybody here knows where can I find a sample of good transparent coating?

I've heard of Harbor Freight but only the black and red powders are recommended.

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Look up Smoke4320 in VS section he sells all kind of powders.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Only use HF black if you are using an ESPC spray gun! HF black will not tumble coat worth a darned. HF red works OK, but Smoke's powders are far far better.

I also heard that HF black contains an abrasive. I don’t know if it is true, but it is enough of a reason not to use it.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Only use HF black if you are using an ESPC spray gun! HF black will not tumble coat worth a darned. HF red works OK, but Smoke's powders are far far better.
    If he can still find red, it will be a miracle. They haven't stocked it, nor even listed it no their website, for several years.

Go with Smoke4320

Boolit Bub
    Thank you everybody for your advice, I guess Smoke4320 is the way to go?

Boolit Master

Yup. Contact smokes and order clear. (But he has many, many great colors)

Many good threads on here to help ya along the way. Utube has many videos. Seatch fortunecookie45 and Elvis ammo.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I also heard that HF black contains an abrasive. I don’t know if it is true, but it is enough of a reason not to use it.
    That is an old wive's tale started by PC deniers on here and other places. All powders are somewhat abrasive, but not enough to do any damage to your barrel. FMJ's do a lot more damage!!!!! I have shot thousands of rounds of HF matte black thu 3 different 38 and 45 cal guns with absolutely ZERO wear. And the barrels are spotless! Most PC's tends to clean your barrel.

Boolit Master
    I have been working my way down the main PC thread and I'm up to page 52. After reading how great HF red is, the fact is that the yellow and red are both discontinued. Of course I found that out after buying both HF white and black. The wet and WD40 and the vibratumbling methods are all appealing - various people seem to have had good results with those. Also thinking about mixing the HF black and white for "trunk paint" speckled.
    Ed <><

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School Big Bore View Post
    I have been working my way down the main PC thread and I'm up to page 52. After reading how great HF red is, the fact is that the yellow and red are both discontinued. Of course I found that out after buying both HF white and black. The wet and WD40 and the vibratumbling methods are all appealing - various people seem to have had good results with those. Also thinking about mixing the HF black and white for "trunk paint" speckled.
    Ed <><
    If you are using the shake-n-bake method, matte black (any brand) will kill the teeny bit of static in your tub. Just buy Smoke's normal powders. The matting agent kills the static, just like graphite and molly do.

Been there........................done that.

Period.

Boolit Buddy
    Be brave, go with one of Smokes colors. I use his wine red I think it's called and the Deere green. Cutest little things and easy to find when you unload and make clear. Always gets some comments.

Quote Originally Posted by rhemcla View Post
    Does anybody here knows where can I find a sample of good transparent coating?
    Stick with Red Powder Coat for your 1st try, as it covers better. Harbor freight no longer sells red, and their black, white and yellow do not tumble well.

I've been buying reclaimed PC from eBay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=352647601373

$15 for 2 pounds, and I've had VERY good luck with this exact powder.

I use the Shake and Bake method. Find a small (I use one that's about a cup) Tupperware container, with a "5" marked on the bottom. Fill it up 3/4 full with boolits. Sprinkle lightly with PC, more is not better. Shake it vigorously for 30 seconds, inverting it to spread around the powder. Open it, and you should find them completely covered. If not shake some more, or perhaps add a little more powder.

I pull mine out with a tweezers individually, and give the really fuzzy ones a tap on the side of the container to knock off the excess powder. Use Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick Aluminum Foil to keep your pan clean. I do not pre-heat, but bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0994b.jpg  

Banned
    The best results are with polyester powders (most are TGIC) that have a higher gloss.

Light colors don't cover as well as darker colors and often require 2 coats. ASBBDT

Clear coats and covers nicely BUT it's hard to tell if the boolit is coated after it's baked LOL

OP, why transparent? I tried a few transparent colors and visually I couldn't tell for sure if I got decent coverage. With colored types I know I have 100% coverage, or not
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Man
    I second or third smoke4320. I absolutely love his clear powdercoat and have had zero issues with it unlike HF powders and one I got from powderbuythepound(works but is finicky). Also, I have pushed hard cast bullets clear PC clear to 2500fps with zero leading. it is hard to tell if it coated 100% though.

I have used Smoke's clear. It shakes on white and turns cleat as you bake it. I had good luck with it. I have used a few different colors from Smoke all with good results. For what it is worth, order the black BBs from him also. When I first tried I got them from our local Duhnman Sports and they where a green mixture and they did not coat well. I now get the black from Walmart and so far so good. maybe something about the black BBs.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
    OP, why transparent? I tried a few transparent colors and visually I couldn't tell for sure if I got decent coverage. With colored types I know I have 100% coverage, or not
    Gnappi, I guess I dislike the bright colors. Somebody here recommended mixing black and white to get gray so I'm not doing transparent anymore and going for gray instead. Rat-gray sounds like a decent color for bullets!!

Banned
    gnappi, there's a difference between transparent and translucent powder coating,

Translucent (which I think your talking about) is generally supposed to go over another base color ie silver, white, ----

rhemcla, you mix white and black, you may not get gray you may get a speckled black or speckled white or?

mixing PC is not like mixing regular paint