Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30 cal Gas checks sold out too!

Boolit Master
    I make my own dies for making checks and I have found rolls of aluminum in a couple of different thickness. I like to be as independent as possible as I have seen way to many shortages over the years. I still have several thousand copper gas checks but when I run out of a size I make another check maker.

Boolit Master

I know from working aircraft sheet metal that aluminum come in various compositions with 2024, 6061 and 7075 being the most used for various applications. It all comes in various tempers with the most commonly used being T-0 (no temper), T-3 and T-6. Comes in all kinds of thicknesses from .006" on up (from my experience).
    Now if a feller bought a 5' X 12' sheet of 2024 T0 of the appropriate thickness and had access to a plasma cutter, he'd really be in business in about 20 minutes. Easy to program with the right diameter disks and then the computer maximizes use of material and eliminates wasted material. Program and haul off the disks after the run in a bucket./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Sages had some 30 cal yesterday, I bought some gator copper checks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    I know from working aircraft sheet metal that aluminum come in various compositions with 2024, 6061 and 7075 being the most used for various applications. It all comes in various tempers with the most commonly used being T-0 (no temper), T-3 and T-6. Comes in all kinds of thicknesses from .006" on up (from my experience).
    Now if a feller bought a 5' X 12' sheet of 2024 T0 of the appropriate thickness and had access to a plasma cutter, he'd really be in business in about 20 minutes. Easy to program with the right diameter disks and then the computer maximizes use of material and eliminates wasted material. Program and haul off the disks after the run in a bucket./beagle
    All you have to do is score the aluminum with a utility knife. Then you can just tear it off of the sheet. That is how you would waste the least amount of material.

I got a couple thousand .35's from Amazon.

Boolit Mold

Annealing gas check material

To anneal aluminum use an acetylene torch with the oxygen off to apply soot to the metal. Set the heating tip of the torch normally (add oxygen) and burn the soot off. About 700 F I think.

Copper work hardens, to anneal it heat and quench. Exactly the opposite of steel.

First post in 7 years on the forum! You guys explain stuff too well.

ges
    Last edited by 86Merk; 11-29-2020 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Add a comment

Boolit Master

It's an added step, but a drop of super glue in the gas check and no more problems!
    Just another 'tool' in the tool box.
    YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
    About the only bullet I have problem with gas checks not staying on is will the Lee 158gr swc using .011 alum. I have had this alum from ,oh-oh I just brain locked I forgot his forum name. It's the fellow from England. Oh yeah coilandfoil. I tried annealing some alum in a toaster over for an hour at over 400*. Didnt help.
    I throw mine in my casting pot. If it gets propperly hot, the lead won't stick to the checks

Boolit Buddy
    Do any of you know of a supplier that has .30 cal copper Gas Checks in stock NOE and Sage are out.

Boolit Master
    Reloaders are as pathetic as those people who bought all the toilet paper until there was none on the shelves. Sad, Sad, Sad.

TEK
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Reloaders are as pathetic as those people who bought all the toilet paper until there was none on the shelves. Sad, Sad, Sad.

TEK
    Coming from a guy who probably has enough of a stash to hold him over for years!! That is a pretty rash statement to make to those of us that just got back into reloading not long before all this crap hit the fan and did not have time or money to build up our stocks. So do tell, DT, How is it that you are not one of us pathetic people?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post

TEK
    Ok, boomer...

Seriously, though, GTFO with that ****. The best time to stock up was yesterday, but the next best time is now. And if you think supplies are going to be available regularly anytime in the near future, you're kidding yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Do any of you know of a supplier that has .30 cal copper Gas Checks in stock NOE and Sage are out.
    Sage gets stuff in pretty regularly. I've been able to score .30cals from them a couple times over the last bit by just checking often.

In fact, as of right this minute, they have some 0.015" thick 30 cals in stock in both AL and CU. They'll prob be gone by end of day, though.

Check often and buy them when you see them in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I was thinking they are Gator Checks that NOE sells. I got my self a load of checks some years ago from the one who makes them in LA he is a doctor and retired now and last I know of he still make the checks. If you bought a large amount he give you a discount. That is what I done and I should be set for some years now .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Coming from a guy who probably has enough of a stash to hold him over for years!! That is a pretty rash statement to make to those of us that just got back into reloading not long before all this crap hit the fan and did not have time or money to build up our stocks. So do tell, DT, How is it that you are not one of us pathetic people?
    How is it that I am not one of you pathetic people? I am not buying anything that hit the the shelf and stalking the internet looking for when stuff come available. I have bought 10 rounds of ammo and one bullet mold since the pandemic hit. 10 rounds of Incendiary 50 BMG. I have ammo and components for everything I shoot but not a life time supply. I would like to think my stock of 50 BMG, 5.56, 12 gauge and 9mm will last my lifetime as they are for just in case they will be needed. They are factory ammo that I bought before the pandemic. I only have a few hundred pounds of lead but I don't worry about getting lead. I have had to switch powders for some of my shooting as I used up some of my favorites but I am not going to go stalk the internet trying to replace them. I would not pay a premium for gas checks. I would shoot plain base bullets instead. Primers, would be nice to have more but I will make do with what I have and make my own if I run out before they become more available. .22LR, last shortage I bought too much. I now have a bunch of .22LR that I think is substandard. I went 15 years hardly firing a shot back in the 90's and 00's. I did not even set up a reloading bench in the house I lived in then. This is a fake crisis. Ammo and guns are hard to get, so what. This is a hobby not life or death.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Ok, boomer...

Seriously, though, GTFO with that ****. The best time to stock up was yesterday, but the next best time is now. And if you think supplies are going to be available regularly anytime in the near future, you're kidding yourself.
    I will make what I have last until supplies become available or I have passed. I would stop shooting long before I fired my last round unless it is life or death. As long as someone keeps buying everything that is put on the shelf we will have a shortage. As long as I have lead or even zinc I can shoot. I have PCP and muzzle loaders and can make bullets, primers and powder. Right now it is better to do without than stock up. Those stocking up are the ones creating the problem.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Ok, Honest answer, fair enough. What I see here is that you do not go out shooting on any regular basis so therefore you do not use any of what you have. That is basically where I am at now but it is NOT where I want to be! I want to be able to go to the range and shoot my guns. That is why I have them. If I am not able to shoot them I might as well get rid of everything but the defensive weapons needed for protection. If I cleaned out all of my guns and reloading stuff, especially right now, I would be a rich man! Just selling the ammo and reloading stuff would make me a LOT of money. But that is not what I want. I am disabled and I can no longer do the hobbies I loved, which was racing and working on cars and boats. So I went back to shooting after many years away. This is something I can do on good days when I am able to walk the range or when I have someone with me that can. It certainly beats sitting home yakking on this damn computer!!! I am not hoarding, nor am I buying stuff at exorbitant prices. But I am watching the net all the time for the things I need. I did just buy some gas checks from Sages yesterday when I saw someone mention they had them. I bought 1,000 since that was the only option and that will last as long as I am alive. Check that one off. I will keep looking just like that for primers and powder, it will come back I hope. I am not going to pay Cheaper than Dirt or Gunbroker prices. I hope that when things come back to normal people really remember those places!!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Sage gets stuff in pretty regularly. I've been able to score .30cals from them a couple times over the last bit by just checking often.

In fact, as of right this minute, they have some 0.015" thick 30 cals in stock in both AL and CU. They'll prob be gone by end of day, though.

Check often and buy them when you see them in stock.
    Sages makes GCs, as well as orders them in from another source, so that is why they do regularly have them in stock. Not too long ago, I ordered 1k of 41 cal GCs when they appeared on the website as "in stock".

To anyone reading this, if you are in need, just keep checking their page.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Ok, Honest answer, fair enough. What I see here is that you do not go out shooting on any regular basis so therefore you do not use any of what you have. That is basically where I am at now but it is NOT where I want to be! I want to be able to go to the range and shoot my guns. That is why I have them. If I am not able to shoot them I might as well get rid of everything but the defensive weapons needed for protection. If I cleaned out all of my guns and reloading stuff, especially right now, I would be a rich man! Just selling the ammo and reloading stuff would make me a LOT of money. But that is not what I want. I am disabled and I can no longer do the hobbies I loved, which was racing and working on cars and boats. So I went back to shooting after many years away. This is something I can do on good days when I am able to walk the range or when I have someone with me that can. It certainly beats sitting home yakking on this damn computer!!! I am not hoarding, nor am I buying stuff at exorbitant prices. But I am watching the net all the time for the things I need. I did just buy some gas checks from Sages yesterday when I saw someone mention they had them. I bought 1,000 since that was the only option and that will last as long as I am alive. Check that one off. I will keep looking just like that for primers and powder, it will come back I hope. I am not going to pay Cheaper than Dirt or Gunbroker prices. I hope that when things come back to normal people really remember those places!!
    From your description I don't see you as one of the pathetic reloaders, they are the ones that a clearing the shelves or just leaving scraps for others.

I go shooting every month and sometimes many times a month. I shoot maybe 50 to 100 rounds each time I go shooting. My regular range trips are for benchrest load development and practice. I shoot 5 or 6 five shot groups along with sighters and fowlers. I usually bring a second gun to shoot during breaks that I take from benchrest shooting. Last trip I brought my 50-70 rolling block. I think I shot is 15 rounds. The time before I brought my Ruger Single Six, I shot like 60 rounds of .22 Mag, .22 LR and some .22 Mag. Handloads, I have multiple threads here for my range sessions, often with data on velocities, groups sizes, pictures of groups and ammo. I shoot my Barrett M-82 and my AR-15 a couple times a year. Not much point in shooting more than a mag. of ammo out of each of those unless they don't run right which is not very likely. I don't reload for them so no range time is needed for load development. I did for a time run through a bit more ammo when I was practicing rapid fire on the plate rack with my EAA Witness 9mm race gun. I also used to burn thru a bunch of ammo with my Ruger 10/22 but for years now I have been much more focused on precision vs. speed. I shoot single shot rifles and revolvers mostly these days. Most of the shooting I see other people doing at the range, I sort of think of as a waste of ammo. I know they enjoy it so it is not a total waste but they are mostly reinforcing bad habits and their skills and abilities are low.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Ok, we are definitely two of a kind. I have posted several times about people commenting on my slow shooting style with my AR and AK. A few shots and check the scope, few shots, check the scope. I am a distance shooter and always have been. My dad always taught me to make each shot count, he never used the term "one shot, one kill" but he implied that. I used that throughout my entire life and even in the military. IN Vietnam I watched guy spray and pray constantly and then beg anybody around for more ammo. I hated full auto and only used it when needed to cover someone. I was accepted into sniper school based on my schooling at a young age. And my scores. You don't get those scores just blazing away. I haven't been to the range since June last year when they opened back up but I plan to try to go next week weather permitting. I am only doing some load development on my AR and 03A3. Might take the 22 to plink with while letting barrels cool, which generally doesn't take long in January in NJ!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast