MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30 cal Gas checks sold out too!

Boolit Buddy

30 cal Gas checks sold out too!

Hello,

While lub- sizing some 30 cal rifle bullets a few nights ago, I discovered I was low on gas checks.
    I don't keep a lot of them on hand, I just buy 1000 at a time, for the 2 calibers that I shoot the most.. 30 and 8mm. When I get low i order a couple thousand.
    So I thought I had a part box and new bag of 1000, but nope, just a few Hornady checks left in my inventory.

Ok, no problem... I'll order some. Not that easy, as 30 cal gas check are on the endangered list, or possibly extinct right now. I was able to find one box of 1000 checks, at an inflated price, from a vendor that I dont usually buy from, but the normal supply chains were sold out..
    Who would have figured it? Primers, powder, bullets all susceptible to shortages, in the past. So, I have prepared some what, for these days, as much as my budget will allow for... I didn't count on gas checks... Silly me!

Is this new, or has this happened before, and I just did not know about it?
    banging my head....
    LC

Boolit Master

I have Gas Check making dies from a variety of vendors (from .22 all the way up to my 50BMG). When I need more Gas checks; I simply pull out the appropriate caliber die, a 4" wide roll of Ameri-Max Aluminum flashing { https://www.acehardware.com/departme...shings/5171798 }, and the 8" bench top Mini-Shear { https://www.amazon.com/KAKA-Mini-She.../dp/B015R8IUPQ }.

One could also look at making their own Gas Check Die using information found on this site - we even have an entire section on Gas Checks. An example would be: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...gas-checkmaker
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 11-12-2020 at 02:56 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

gas check shortage

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I have Gas Check making dies from a variety of vendors (from .22 all the way up to my 50BMG). When I need more Gas checks; I simply pull out the appropriate caliber die, a 4" wide roll of Ameri-Max Aluminum flashing { https://www.acehardware.com/departme...shings/5171798 }, and the 8" bench top Mini-Shear { https://www.amazon.com/KAKA-Mini-She.../dp/B015R8IUPQ }.

One could also look at making their own Gas Check Die using information found on this site - we even have an entires section of Gas Checks. An example would be: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...gas-checkmaker
    Thanks Mustang:
    I have a turret lathe that will do nicely for this. I'll give it a go.

Boolit Master
    I was in the same spot-- I too buy 1000 at a time and then tried to re-order with no luck-- then I found Gator gas checks. They have not arrived yet but we'll see. Nice low price and available.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kardeon View Post
    Thanks Mustang:
    I have a turret lathe that will do nicely for this. I'll give it a go.
    I'm confident you won't have any issues kardeon but feel free to ask here or shoot me a pm and I will try to help should run into any issues.

Boolit Bub
    I have had good luck with the Gator Gas Checks. Cheaper than Hornady, too.

Boolit Master
    I bought 1000 Hornady 30 cal. gas checks less than one month ago at the normal price. 1000 checks last me a long time.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    My brother pointed out last night, that Hornady has bigger fish to fry, and may put the gas checks on the back burner for a while,, to concentrate on making bullets.

On the other hand, as long as NOE, and Sage Outdoors can get materials, they will probably continue to stamp them out.
    Maybe short handed due to Covid 19? Or just overwhelmed by panic ordering?
    I have used both Gator and NOE checks, and found them to be great. Cant say much for aluminum checks... It seems like for me the softness of the material keeps them from staying on. Sometimes pulling off when I remove the bullet from the sizer. I am going to try push through dies, and see if they work better..

Moderator Emeritus

Cant say much for aluminum checks... It seems like for me the softness of the material keeps them from staying on. Sometimes pulling off when I remove the bullet from the sizer.
    Actually it's the opposite, depending on what processes the aluminum has undergone, it may need to be annealed. Aluminum that has been work hardened has more memory, so when forming/crimping onto the boolit, it can spring back and loose it's grip.
    Also, metal thickness (whatever type of metal used) is another major factor with GC's staying on through the lube-sizer process.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I guess I am fortunate. In 10's of thousands of seatings on Cast Rifle and Pistol Boolits using a Lyman Lubrisizer and Lee Sizing dies for seating Gas Checks I have made from Amerimax Aluminum Flashing I have never had a gas check fail to seat and be tightly adhered to the base. My supposition is that a "Too Small" thickness gas check would be problematic and prone to pull off. I use a 4" wide Amerimax Aluminum Flashing that is 0.014 inches thick for making my checks. There are numerous posts on this site addressing problems with not having the appropriate material thickness (Too small) for the gas check/bullet heel fit.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting point. So you are saying that with aluminum, they should be baked or heated to remove this memory from the metal? I had some of Sage's Aluminum checks, and had quite a bit of trouble with them, so I finally gave them away.. I may have to try the home made gas checks. Flashing is cheap and easy to come by, and I Just bought a lathe, a few weeks ago, but have not got it running yet. Hopefully soon, i will finish working on it, and maybe I will try to make a check cutter for 30's
    Might be a good starter project.
    I guess about any reloading press would work for cutting them?
    So many projects... I really need to retire, so I can play all day.

Moderator Emeritus

There are many references in CB threads, where members had issues with alum GCs, then tried annealing them and then had success in applying them. Now, to be honest, I never tried it. The only times I had issues with Alum GCs is when I was supplied with several samples by Sages...different metal thicknesses and formed with different GC dies...testing each sample, to see what would work for a troublesome mold, where standard GC's would not work, because of Boolit shank size. This was done with two different calibers (41 and fat 6.5mm).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Never annealed a check; but 100% success when using the Amerimax .014 flashing with my FreeChex and Pat Marlin Gas Check Dies.
    Mustang

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=lead collector;5030579]Hello,

While lub- sizing some 30 cal rifle bullets a few nights ago, I discovered I was low on gas checks.

I discovered the same thing so I just made some more.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    The only issues I have had with my 30 cal is when using "undersized" .008 flashing. I only say undersize because the measurement average on my boolits + 2 times the size of the flashing is about .3075 meaning I do not quite get a 50% positive seating. No problem at all as I have .014 on hand which works without issue. I recall reading somewhere where the heal of the boolit is designed for a .010 gas check, but I could be wrong.

Boolit Master
    About the only bullet I have problem with gas checks not staying on is will the Lee 158gr swc using .011 alum. I have had this alum from ,oh-oh I just brain locked I forgot his forum name. It's the fellow from England. Oh yeah coilandfoil. I tried annealing some alum in a toaster over for an hour at over 400*. Didnt help.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master

aluminum is graded by both strength and temper. when you heat aluminum you will lose/change its temper and the material will become softer.

availability of almost all reloading components has become an issue. I have noticed that 30 cal. J's in the most popular sizes are almost extinct or at an inflated price. Even the FMJ are hard to find, also 22 rimfire ammo. I think it is more panic buying.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    My Gator gas checks arrived today and they fit exactly the same as the Hornadys at a much nicer price. Never tried them before but this won't be the last time.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Banned

My gas checks arrived today from Sage's, they don't have any 30 cal checks right now either, but I will be notified when they are available. I did get .22 cal (.225), 6.5 cal (265) and .35 cal (357). The 22 cal's are Gators, they look just like my Hornady's, I'll try some tomorrow, but they look great. When I get notice of 30 cal checks I'll let y'all know.

Banned
    The problem requiring annealing may stem from using the wrong type of aluminum/copper.

I know with copper you need "dead soft"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast