Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Tri-Ball Buckshot scores...again!

Boolit Mold

Tri-Ball Buckshot scores...again!

The first time I took a deer with Tri-Ball:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...uckshot-Scores!

The second time happened on 11/08/20. I got into the blind about 0615 CST, the same exact location where I took the first Tri-Ball Deer. I got settled in and sat there enjoying the quiet time in a location where cell phones don't work lol. At 0650 a doe and a button buck entered the clearing I was watching and grazed a little on the green parts. I readied the Benelli Supernova to take the doe that had quartered toward me. I shot, and knew my follow through was good when I saw the cloud of Precision Spherical Buffer in midair. The doe turned and ran to my left, and I could see the .60 caliber exit holes in her left side lung area so I decided not to shoot again. I heard her run about 25 yards and pile up. I waited 30 minutes then went to retrieve her. I shot the doe at a lasered 30 yards and all three .600 round balls impacted the doe with two pellets going straight through both lungs and exiting, and the third pellet entering at the shoulder knuckle, clipping the heart, traversing one lung, the liver, the intestines, and stopping in the deer's driver side rear leg for a total penetration of about 28 inches. Field dressing showed complete devastation.

For the Gearheads:

Shotgun: Bone stock Benelli Supernova 12 Gauge with 28 inch barrel and Carlson's SS Sporting Clays .685 Extra Full Choke.

Ammunition: Handloaded copy of 3 Inch Dixie Slugs Tri-Ball Buckshot using James Gates' data posted on this forum. Three .600 hard cast lead balls cast from a Double Cavity Lee Mold using an alloy of WDWW with 2% Tin added. Balls weigh an average of 318 grains each. The above shotgun/choke gives 2-4 inch patterns at 40 yards, 5-6 inch patterns at 50 yards, 7-8 inch patterns at 60 yards and during testing I fired 5 rounds at 70 yards and 13 of the 15 pellets stayed inside the front half of a life size deer target. Out to 70 yards I can put the front bead on the deer's heart and hit the deer in the vitals with at least 66% of the payload. Do that with 00 or 000.

Since 2017 I have fired over 100 rounds of Tri-Ball Buckshot in testing and in the taking of two whitetail deer. Every round I fire impresses me more.

Just my .02,
    LeonCarr
    Last edited by LeonCarr; 11-12-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Interesting reading, Leon. Both posts are quite informative. Ohio only allows one ball in the barrel, but I've played a little with 2 50 caliber RB in a muzzleloader, just for the fun of it. Basically compares to a conical slug twice the weight of one round ball, velocity wise. Do you know the fps on your 3 ball loading?
    Thanks for postings your success. Pictures of the wound channels would be an added plus.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    Interesting reading, Leon. Both posts are quite informative. Ohio only allows one ball in the barrel, but I've played a little with 2 50 caliber RB in a muzzleloader, just for the fun of it. Basically compares to a conical slug twice the weight of one round ball, velocity wise. Do you know the fps on your 3 ball loading?
    Thanks for postings your success. Pictures of the wound channels would be an added plus.
    Average velocity the last time I chronographed the load was 1081 fps from a 28 inch barreled Remington 870. The factory load was advertised at 1050 fps and I can get another 50-75 fps with the 3.5 Inch Tri-Ball Load. It is a very no nonsense shotgun shell...on both ends lol.

As far as wound channels go, basically it was 3 .60 caliber entrance holes and 2 .60 caliber exit holes. The third pellet was about an inch from leaving the deer's driver side back leg/ham. you could see the pellet "bump" under the hide. The 2 pellets went straight line through the lungs passenger side ribs to driver side ribs, and the third pellet went straight through the animal from passenger side shoulder knuckle to driver side ham. Straight line penetration.

Just my thanksforthegreatcomments .02,
    LeonCarr

It’s just amazing that a deer can go anywhere after being hit with such a load. I have only played with tri ball loads in a 410. I load 3 , .400 or .395 balls over a cutoff wad and 14 grs. of 296 powder in a 2 1/2” AA hull.
    I live in OH also and have used mine to shoot, coons, groundhogs, and cats. Mine pattern about 4” at 30 yards and that’s about perfect for what I use them for. Everything shot with them has been DOA as in immediately.

Jedman