PBcastcoLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Can you top this? NOPE.

OH MY! You have my undying respect!

Boolit Mold
    That is one of the funniest reloading/gun stories I have ever read! :rofl: I can't top that, but I do have a few good ones to tell on myself.

Thanks for sharing it!!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohillbilly View Post
    You have heard the "becarefull, you'll shoot your eye out with that" Well, at the great age of 7 I got a Red Rider and was given the above advise. I was shoot'n in grannys backyard, at a coffe can and it kept falling over. I got an idea and filled the can with rocks. Next thing I knew, I saw the BB hit that can, and bounce back...... Hit me on the front tooth, before I could duck OOOOOOOh boy that brought tyears to my eyes....... I did'nt tell, because I remembered what happened after I shot my mom's backside with my double barrel cork gun the year before............

MY wife gave me an air pistol for Christmas a few years back. On Christmas morning I took it out in the backyard to fire it. I couldn't find a can or any other expedient target and it was cold outside and I was a bit rushed to get back in the house. I was standing about twenty feet from my shed when I spied a nail head that had sloughed its white paint and I decided that one or two shots at that nail head would satisfy me. Well, that little air pistol was accurate, all right. The first shot hit the nail head dead center and the BB was propelled back at me with sufficient force that when it struck me, my thin fabric pants did little to reduce the energy I perceived being imparted right on the very tip of my manhood. A second shot was not required.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

After looking this over a story came to mind. A freind of mine got his two boys some paintball guns when they were new to the masses. So Christmas morning came and he had them stashed in the back of his jeep he slipped outside and loaded them up to surprise the boys when they came out. No he has never lean to the side of better judgement. One boy came out on the back porch and he took aim and fire a very cold hard paintball right in the middle of his back the boy screamed and fell off the porch very much in pain. After running to see how bad his son was hurt and taking the wrath of his wife he told the boys those dam things were two dangerous to play with and returned them to the store. Told me he thought since people shot each other with them they had to be ok not thinking they wore padding. BTW if anyone here dont know a paintball cold is very dangerous even one in the summer fired under 25 feet will put a hole in a teeshirt and draw blood.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

I had a buddy once who decided to try using a straight through Thrush Muffler as a silencer. He was putting a new dual exhaust on his 72 Ford Galaxy when this flash of brilliance hit him, literally. He sat down at his parents picnic table (farm country) and set the Thrush muffler on top of the boxes for the pair. He stuck his 30-30 lever gun about half way through the muffler. The old Galaxy had pretty good sized pipes on her to allow this. He carefully lined the sights up on the permanent targets they routinely shot from the picnic table. Then he squeezed one off. Though he thought he had covered all the bases he overlooked the amount of gas a 30-30 generates on firing. The blast hit him square in the face and literally tipped him off the table bench backward. He was blind for about 15 minutes and his eyes were red for days. His whole face was red as if someone had slapped him. His brothers and I watched the whole affair and once we confirmed that he was OK we laughed until our sides hurt. Dumb ass kids. We were about 18 at the time. It's a wonder we didn't kill ourselves with some of the stunts we pulled. Today's kids don't know what they are missing. Wonder if there's a Wii application to replicate this trick. Rockydog
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Master

In my younger days, I once tried to adapt one of the Olin 12-gauge flare guns to shoot regular full length 12-gauge shells. Nothing quite like the feeling of having the gun basically disintegrate in your hand since most of the pellets end up coming out the side of the barrel instead of the front.

Boolit Master
    In my younger days, I once tried to adapt one of the Olin 12-gauge flare guns to shoot regular full length 12-gauge shells. Nothing quite like the feeling of having the gun basically disintegrate in your hand since most of the pellets end up coming out the side of the barrel instead of the front.
    You know, I always wondered if anyone had ever tried that.....
    Paul

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmeisel View Post
    You know, I always wondered if anyone had ever tried that.....
    All it took was a bit of sanding / scraping on the inside of the barrel to allow it to chamber the full length shells and then the stupidity to actually put a round in it and pull the trigger...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockydog View Post
    I had a buddy once who decided to try using a straight through Thrush Muffler as a silencer. He was putting a new dual exhaust on his 72 Ford Galaxy when this flash of brilliance hit him, literally. He sat down at his parents picnic table (farm country) and set the Thrush muffler on top of the boxes for the pair. He stuck his 30-30 lever gun about half way through the muffler. The old Galaxy had pretty good sized pipes on her to allow this. He carefully lined the sights up on the permanent targets they routinely shot from the picnic table. Then he squeezed one off. Though he thought he had covered all the bases he overlooked the amount of gas a 30-30 generates on firing. The blast hit him square in the face and literally tipped him off the table bench backward. He was blind for about 15 minutes and his eyes were red for days. His whole face was red as if someone had slapped him. His brothers and I watched the whole affair and once we confirmed that he was OK we laughed until our sides hurt. Dumb ass kids. We were about 18 at the time. It's a wonder we didn't kill ourselves with some of the stunts we pulled. Today's kids don't know what they are missing. Wonder if there's a Wii application to replicate this trick. Rockydog
    Now that would've been good on youtube, I know what you mean, when I think back when I was 18, I had a life expectancy of a year or so.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy lead View Post
    Now that would've been good on youtube, I know what you mean, when I think back when I was 18, I had a life expectancy of a year or so.
    Yeah, up until 25 or so, us guys do some really stupid things... Our life expectancy is basically ... It's one of the reasons that the human species has evolved to have more males born than females... It's also the reason that insurance companies don't want to insure us guys until we hit 25 or so. After that age, we have either stopped doing the stupid things, gotten better at them, or died from our endeavors... In my own case, I really suspect that Darwin was just sleeping on the job... That's the only way that I can explain why I'm still around... Well, that plus modern medical practices being able to glue body parts back onto the donor body...
    Last edited by grumman581; 07-22-2010 at 02:49 AM.

Boolit Master

Ouch!

It takes a big man to offer up that story of stupidity just to let others laugh and feel superior. As a PITB, did you ever wonder what the unknown holes were for where you were holding the mold?

The sad thing is that all the stories of finding a "free" stock of solder or linotype or even just wheelweights are quickly becoming reminiscences of the past.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by SCIBUL View Post
    I didn't know that captain hoock learned you to cast boolits
    Very impressing
    This is BARE BONES CASTING ! Talk about Minimum Investment Casting ! This is the feller I want in a tank turret beside me !
    On our M60A1 (ol" portable sewer) we had a pair of asbestos HIGH temp gloves the loader was suppossed to use to flip the hot casings out his hatch... Never used them because they would get dirty and the Bn Co wanted WHITE loader gloves in the rack ??? But I wonder how those would fare ?? Real Hazmat contaminated boolits !!!

Quote Originally Posted by lencoo12 View Post
    This is BARE BONES CASTING ! Talk about Minimum Investment Casting ! This is the feller I want in a tank turret beside me !
    On our M60A1 (ol" portable sewer) we had a pair of asbestos HIGH temp gloves the loader was suppossed to use to flip the hot casings out his hatch... Never used them because they would get dirty and the Bn Co wanted WHITE loader gloves in the rack ??? But I wonder how those would fare ?? Real Hazmat contaminated boolits !!!
    I have a pair and they work really well. Surprisingly, the non-asbestos replacement gloves work even better. Amaze your friends and pick up a 40lb pot of molten metal by the sides and set it off to cool.

Boolit Master
    This is possibly the most difficult hobby to get any information on. One day you think you uncovered some great revelation only to discover later that someone else has been doing that since the dark ages.

Boolit Master

My dad had introduced to me to handloading around age 10 and I was familiar with loading commercial cast bullets - but we'd never cast our own.

A neighbor moved out when I was around 13 or so, and one of the neighborhood kids came over to let me know that they'd been prowling through his garage and had found a revolver cylinder amongst the junk he'd left behind - so I scooted over to see what treasures I could find and finally came up with... a real live bullet mold! Wow!

Now, obviously we weren't dumb in the slightest - we knew that lead is used to make boolits but we couldn't quite figure out how long to hold a Bic lighter under the mold blocks to melt the lead scraps we'd stuffed down the holes...

Giving that up as a bad job after 10 or so impatient minutes ("You're doing it wrong, dummy! Let me try!") we finally got a few teaspoonfuls of lead melted in an old army aluminum canteen cup on the stove and carefully used mom's ugly old Royal Coronation commemorative teaspoon to scoop and pour - resulting in some pretty wrinkled and fractured boolits which broke in pieces almost as soon as the blocks were opened, but we were pretty proud of our efforts.

Never did quite learn how they get the bases nice and flat before opening the blocks, though - cleaning a file with a wire brush of all the lead shavings to get a nice flat base is a long, tedious and repetitive process, and we admired how the skilled commercial guys obviously don't leave filing-scars in the tops of the mod-blocks. It was a few years later before dad got into casting - where I discovered that they musta suddenly invented the sprue-cutter

And 33 years later, Mom's still not forgotten that I ruined her prized teaspoon
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

AndyC You got me topped we only had zippos when I was of that age but with either big or old fuel fuel lighter I have found if they are lit long enough they will turn into a raging fireball.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    For a couple years I always wondered where the handy primer flipper tray that was suppose to "come with" the lee auto prime was.

I might could come close. When I first got married, I lived in Havre Montana. I had reloaded for a long time so I had lots of different components on hand. My wife didn't know much about reloading, but she loved helping.
    A friend bought a Savage 222 and wanted me to losd some shells to try it out. I had the stuff so, I started out loading a couple boxes using 4198. I was running along pretty true when the radar site called and had an alert. So, I took off, fought air battles all night and got home in the morning. Went to finish up the loading, but the shells were gone. I asked wifie where they were. "Oh, I finished them up, and Jim just came by a bit ago to go to the range." I went to clean things up and noticed a can of Bullseye on the desk. Why was it there? "Oh, the one can got empty so I finished up with the other one." So, imagining my friends face with no ears and one eye, I shot to the range and got there just before he was going to fire the first round. Took them home and pulled all the bullets finding three of them full to the gills of Bullseye.

Cool

And my wife got upset when I told her emphaticly...

"Please Don't Help". Lord save me from a "Compulsive Arranger".

When Bullseye is on the bench, it is strictly "Fill, Seat, Fill, Seat".
    One at a time. A whole bunch of bullseye will fit in a .38Spl. case
    and my max load is only 3.5grs.

Jack...

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for sharing some darned funny stories, guys. Some of them made me feel better about some of my own oopsies and all had me laughing.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast