WidenersPBcastcoLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Can you top this? NOPE.

Banned

thought you read the book, it has pictures too.
    wow.....

I did that exact same thing except I only had one glove on, and it only took me about 200 boolits before I figured something was amiss.
    "Give to caesar what is caesar's, and give to God what is God's." The Christ

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Crash, that has to be one of the funniest things I have read, so I read it to my missus and she said it sounded like something I would have done, except I would not have had enough sense to by the mould with the handles on.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

About the time you think you have read and heard everything, along comes a post like this!

Doing it for 2 years like that, and you are still doing it....I think you have the fever....and bad
    Shotgun Luckey
    SASS #42629
    I'm not a top Cowboy Action Shooter, so I HAVE to look good doing it.

good story, reminds me of the one about the guy who cut a few cords of wood with his new chainsaw before someone showed him how to start it.

I gotta say it. I'm torn...between admiration and disbelief- how could a guy go 2 years, pour 6k rounds before figuring out there's supposed to be handle involved? If wasn't the new guy here I'd call BS. But I am so I won't.

Boolit Buddy

That is something. Wow.
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..................Gee Crash, casting like that must have been about like driving a truck with a 318 Detroit Diesel. For it to work like it's supposed to you need to drive it completely pissed off. So if you see a truck driver slam his fingers in the cab door, then open it and get in screaming and yelling, you know he has a 318 under the hood

..............Buckshot
    And here all this time I thought a 318 Detroit had 18 horsepower and 300 oil leaks.
    I drove one back in the late 60's. A short nosed Brockway would get 7000 gal. of petroleum over the road quite nicely

Boolit Bub
    You wore gloves? Damn! If I'd known that, my casting woulda gone a lot faster!

...the scars cut down on the pain after a while, though.
    (O)(o)
    ---0000-(. .)-0000---

Boolit Master
    Glad I read this thread, must be what a therapy session is like. Got stories of my own just not enough stones to tell them, thankfully most of the time no one was around.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Bub
    Good story, Crash.

I'm figurin the handles are 'extra.' Can buy some handles, or primers...

Well, haven't heard of them, in a while, Buckshot & PTG!
    318 Detroit Diesel is without doubt the absolute filthiest engine I have ever rebuilt.
    Seems like there is just no end to the carbon buildup and greasy slime one of thos can contain. Great engines, though... Keep 'em wound up and they run real strong.

We had one driver had a 350 stuffed in a widenosed Pete. Over -the-road hauler with a small sleeper and tallest stacks I ever saw. Out on a dirt job he had quite a few other drivers convinced it was an experimental Wisconsin air-cooled diesel engine in the truck.
    Sonny Harp was his name. He could sure lay down the apple butter with a straight face!

Best
    3rptr

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..................Gee Crash, casting like that must have been about like driving a truck with a 318 Detroit Diesel. For it to work like it's supposed to you need to drive it completely pissed off. So if you see a truck driver slam his fingers in the cab door, then open it and get in screaming and yelling, you know he has a 318 under the hood

..............Buckshot
    Unless you see him slam both hands in the door before he gets in because he only has a 238 between the rails

Banned

Ha! just found this thread.

You've heard of the Bruce B method, but Bruce ain't got nothin' on the Crash C method ..

In Remembrance

Repeated water-dropping to increase hardness

The first time I tried casting, it was years and years ago when I was in the service. Me and a buddy had heard about water-dropping making boolits harder, so we figured same thing with ingots.

We wanted some really hard boolits to shoot through our Ruger .44, so we did some smelting.

We water dropped the ingots, dried them off well (we thought), put them back in the smelting pot, learned about the tinsel fairy, smelted some more lead, made ingots, made SURE they were dry, re-smelted, re-water-dropped and repeated this process something like five or six times.

We were certain with all that water-dropping and re-melting that our boolits would be harder than our CO's heart. So we poured some nice Keith type boolits, and naturally water-dropped them too.

I can't remember how hot we loaded them, but we weren't worried about leading--hell, we'd water dropped those ingots and resmelted so many times, we figured the lead would be harder than cast iron. So we went full-bore magnum-plus with the loads.

After just sixty or seventy rounds fired, that poor barrel so was leaded and flying boolits every where, we couldn't have shot our smelting pot at point blank range. We scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed on that gun getting the lead out. Our armoror just laughed and laughed when we explained what we'd done.

I swore off lead bullets for a long time after that. Swore off casting, too. Finally came to my senses a few years ago when I discovered the Shooters board and the changeover to this one. Learned a lot.

But most importantly, learned to only water drop once.

Boolit Bub
    crash

Great story. Maybe I will tell mine one day about going thru 2 or 3 hardhood hammer handles untill I learned bololits are suposed to drop out of the mold and not beaten out.

bingo

wow !

Man, have I learned a lot here today. There are handles for those things ? And you can open 'em up to get the boolit out instead of havin' to beat 'em out ? I gott find me some a them handle things !
    "A society that values equality above liberty will have neither. A society that values liberty above equality will have plenty of both " - Milton Friedman

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    There is more yet to learn.

I could speculate that if someone had asked you about molding bullets before you learned about mold handles, you would have shared your technique. That's great, but you were wrong.

There are glimmers of that here frequently on a wide variety of boolit topics. Fortunately for most, there are more positive enhancements than mis-information given out. One of the toughest things to do is to tell a shooter/ molder they are wrong, because some of them will not admit to error and defend dumb to the death. No offense intended here , I simply want to point to a curious reality in this and many other things. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Buddy
    I shot myself in the head with my 44 remington cap and ball once.

I was shooting into old catalogs, with a board behind.
    The ball passed thru the catalogs, bounced off the pine board, and plop, landed right on the top of my head.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ra_balke View Post
    I shot myself in the head with my 44 remington cap and ball once.

I was shooting into old catalogs, with a board behind.
    The ball passed thru the catalogs, bounced off the pine board, and plop, landed right on the top of my head.
    Ouch!!

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

wow

see if you had started lik I did you would know better.my first was a winchester mold for the 73 win.the handlel were part of the mold and were wood covered.
    I always wondered how the old timers cast as I had rem and colt molds and little iron handles got HOT.the best I have so fare is the Lee 6 bangers.there is a handle that goes on sprue that you can grasp like the Lee.
    there is a lot out there that would make things easyier but you have hard time finding them.
    WILDCATT

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast