Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: .25-20 Squirrel

Banned

.25-20 Squirrel

I think I'd rather squirrel hunt with a small centerfire and cast bullets than just about any other kind of hunting. I've been casually messing with this Savage 23 in .25-20, the rifle is accurate with this ancient scope set up it came with, but it is far from ideal for woods hunting of fleeting targets. Load was an 85 grain plain based commercial cast bullet and 3.4 grains of 700X.
    Attachment 271250

Boolit Master
    Very nice! I like the old scope too.

I recall a fellow on one of these forums working on some sort of .25 ACP revolver in place of rimfires since he could reload them and not be caught in another panic buy issue. Makes sense, not to mention being able to tailor your load.

Boolit Master

Barking tree chicken.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Attachment 271252

Know exactly what you mean. Not cast this time, but still better than sitting in the house.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

My Grandpa taught me to walk into the squirrel woods, find a likely looking spot. Settle in and take a 10 to 15 minute nap.

When you wake up don't move, first locate all the squirrels in the area by sound. Then open your eyes and without moving try to spot the ones you've heard. Then and only then slowly move your head checking left and right.

Prioritize your shots, easiest, closest, most likely to be sitting still first, and work out.
    When you have it figured, move like a snake, slow and steady.
    Of course like all such things it is an art, and takes practice to do it well.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    I too have Savage in 25/20.

Mine is marked “Savage Sporter” and has no model number but it does have the obligatory “ancient “ weaver 2.5X scope (and suppressor) and it’s quite the small game rifle.

My pet load is around 2 grains of trail boss and a plain based 55 grain cast hollow point for around 1050 FPS.

It is quite deadly.

If a shooter has one and isn’t using it for small Game they are missing out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    My Grandpa taught me to walk into the squirrel woods, find a likely looking spot. Settle in and take a 10 to 15 minute nap.

When you wake up don't move, first locate all the squirrels in the area by sound. Then open your eyes and without moving try to spot the ones you've heard. Then and only then slowly move your head checking left and right.

Prioritize your shots, easiest, closest, most likely to be sitting still first, and work out.
    When you have it figured, move like a snake, slow and steady.
    Of course like all such things it is an art, and takes practice to do it well.
    That is, by far, the most effective way to get squirrels, and what I've been doing the past few years. The place we live on was a rock quarry that closed 60 years ago, so much more rolling and wooded than most places around here. I usually sit in a spot on one of the ridges where I'm almost on a level with teh tree limbs they hang out in.

Unfortunately, now that I'm old enough to have the patience to sit, this degenerating disc in my back and subsequent nerve pinching in my left leg make sitting for long difficult. As long as I am up and moving, it doesn't bother me much, so lately, I've been walking and stalking. Better suited to shotgun use, and sometimes I do, but I like to use a Hornet or other downloaded centerfire much better.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Attachment 271252

Know exactly what you mean. Not cast this time, but still better than sitting in the house.
    Is that a Winchester 69A?

Boolit Master
    I agree entirely, but center fire is not legal her in Tennessee. So my squirrel chasing is with a rimfire of some sort, but it is my favorite hunt without doubt. Just finished a plate of braised squirrel while reading this. Going to take the Remington 24 short out in the morning, will be napping under a favorite tree about a half mile from my house.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    My ol 25-20 has taken a few tree rats, but it's a 94 Marlin with a Williams 5-d receiver sight. Years ago I used a Lyman 257420gc bullet over 13 gr 4198 for better than 2000 fps. Head shots only, that load would cut one in two. These days I've changed to a NOE 260283 plain base bullet over 9.2 gr 4198 for 1290 fps. Much easier on the squirrel and the 115 year old rifle.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I think I'd rather squirrel hunt with a small centerfire and cast bullets than just about any other kind of hunting. I've been casually messing with this Savage 23 in .25-20, the rifle is accurate with this ancient scope set up it came with, but it is far from ideal for woods hunting of fleeting targets. Load was an 85 grain plain based commercial cast bullet and 3.4 grains of 700X.
    Attachment 271250
    I like your rifle and scope! Nice.

All my 25-20 experience to this point is with a Winchester 1892 and peep sights.
    I want to barrel a Low wall and make it up as a scoped 25-20. I almost have everything I need. Even the fox squirrels. This winter it goes together.

If I found a good bolt rifle it would be hard to pass on. Your set-up looks fun.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I wrote an article for “The Fouling Shot” about fifteen years ago specifically about cast bullet centerfire tree rat guns . It started with a Marlin 1892 in 32 Long Colt and included the 218 Bee , 25-20 , 32-20 and 38 Special . The 32 Long Colt was loaded full tilt because it only does 900 FPS to begin with but the others I throttled back enough to be flirting with sub sonic . All guns used were Marlin lever actions and all had scopes except the 32 Long Colt . But they all served the purpose and I killed a squirrel or two with each gun . Don’t think I shot any over 35ish yards .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

Now I want a 25-20

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I wrote an article for “The Fouling Shot” about fifteen years ago specifically about cast bullet centerfire tree rat guns . It started with a Marlin 1892 in 32 Long Colt and included the 218 Bee , 25-20 , 32-20 and 38 Special . The 32 Long Colt was loaded full tilt because it only does 900 FPS to begin with but the others I throttled back enough to be flirting with sub sonic . All guns used were Marlin lever actions and all had scopes except the 32 Long Colt . But they all served the purpose and I killed a squirrel or two with each gun . Don’t think I shot any over 35ish yards .
    Do you have the ability to post that article? I'd like to read it, been doing this with .22 Hornet for several years now, and a .218 Bee is on the list of things to try.

Boolit Master

Winchester 69A. Found it at a garage sale. It had been dipped in silver roof paint by the seller to "dress it up". Now I know why I only have to paint my barn roof every ten years. It was it's first trip out on Monday, took it with me when I went out to set up some trail cameras.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    My boys cut their teeth on squirrel hunting, as did I. Such good memories of totting the 32 caliber T/C Cherokee to the beech trees to head shoot the little targets. Magical mornings as the sun rose and the woods came alive. Thank you for sharing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Winchester 69A. Found it at a garage sale. It had been dipped in silver roof paint by the seller to "dress it up". Now I know why I only have to paint my barn roof every ten years. It was it's first trip out on Monday, took it with me when I went out to set up some trail cameras.
    I have always liked the 69A and wanted one forever but was picky and wanted a very nice one taht was late enough made to be grooved for scope mounts. The opportunity and money never seemed to come together at the same time, but I got a decent 72A about eight years ago as a pawn shop rescue (same rifle with a tube magazine) and I like it a lot and have hunted with it quite a bit. Then last year, a good 69A like I had wanted presented itself for apretty reasonable price so I have one now. Gotta get a scope figured out for it, but I think it'll be my favorite .22 rifle except maybe for the Marlin 39A.

Picture of the 72A after a good session last Winter. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squirrels 01JAN20 (2).jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	271311

Boolit Master
    Dunno if this is a cat story or airgun story.
    Hanover NH
    Redsquirrels made my roof leak
    tore into the dormer flashing
    so i tarred the damage declared war.
    Sat out on the deck,
    pumped up the Crossman
    .17 wadcutter
    here comes the red army!
    Deck is 12 feet up, under a pin cherry
    little red tree rats swarming
    nailed one and looked down
    Grimmi had it, killed it.
    Pumped up nailed another
    looked down Cassi had it.
    Seems squirrel brains are cat fun.
    Next one, knocked down, ran
    Grimi caught it, looked up. More!
    So afternoons, the cats watched
    waited for me to
    settle in and sat under the deck
    waiting to rain fun.
    They sneered when I missed
    Click whiz and nothing
    Hey! We're waiting!
    Cats knew what I was doing but
    after awhile and this went on all summer
    No more red squirrels, girls!
    You got them all.
    Those two hated redsquirrels because
    they couldn't catch them but
    get on the ground, yer deadmeat.
    Odd, to hunt with cats...
    knock down another one Daddy!
    They had fun.
    And I zeroed the Crossman.

I still want to build a 1885 low wall in 25 Hornet. You're not helping me forget that.

Boolit Buddy
    So I am not the only one at war with the red squirrels I guess. years ago, I used to buy and sell and trade old motorcycle parts, and took in trade an interior for a 60's corvette. all new in package from GM. all the soft parts. put them in the loft of the garage. some time later, was going to sell them and found them chewed to little bits, the work of red squirrels, and have been at war with them since. latest blaster is a 25-20 contender carbine, and sometimes the 1894 Marlin, 257-420 bullets. get everyone I see.
    Barry