MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Bullet Lube or Wax: What is this?

Boolit Man

Bullet Lube or Wax: What is this?

I was ordering lube last and searching web sites. Wanted 1"x4" sticks but noticed the 1 pound bulk sizes on some sites.

Light comes in my dim head: Think I have some of that.

I got this stuff several years at a gun show when I bought a box full of bullet molds, the "bricks" were in the box also.

I thought it was bees wax or something. Stuffed it in the back of a cabinet.

Pulled it out today. Hmm. Sure looks like bricks of SPG lube. Same color.

Threw a small chunk on my heated 450 sizer, thermometer at 110 degrees, the chunk started melting and turning clear.

What do you gents think?

Full size bricks are one pound, others have been cut.

Moderator Emeritus

what does it feel like?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Looks a lot like some bees wax that has begun to form "bloom" on the surface. Bloom is not a problem, just melt and blend with the other ingredients. Color difference may be due to where the bees are working. If you look at the other side of the blocks you might notice some shrinkage.

Break one of those in half and see if you smell honey.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    It could be bee’s wax or who knows what someone once mixed up. Pure bee’s wax is harder than most boolit lube mixes. I’m not sure melting temperature is a good indicator of what it is.

Boolit Man
    It is hard, shatters when I cut it with a knife. I am thinking this is from someone's blending supplies for bullet lube. From the quantity of molds in the box I bought the previous owner was a serious caster. A Star lubricator sizer was also in the box, along with a C-H heater. Bought it maybe 20 or so years ago. Probably from an estate clean out.

So as my luck runs so-so this is likely beeswax.

I will give the bricks a sniff test.

Moderator Emeritus

I bought some vintage (was told like 1960s) beeswax that was stored in a unheated shed from a member here. Big chunks, the outer layer, like 1/4" layer was very light colored, while the inside was yellow and still smelled like honey. I wasn't able to cut it, I dropped chunks on a concrete floor and it busted.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Man
    I compared it with some beeswax in my archery kit, looks the same and about the same hardness.

Hmm. Guess I will have to find a lube recipe that uses beeswax.

My stash of Lyman Ideal is a lot softer.

Thanks guys!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If it shatters when cut, there’s a good chance it’s bee’s wax. If you’re lucky because today that’s the most expensive part of boolit lube. There’re plenty of recipes for boolit lube if you search the forum.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Stockcarver View Post
    I compared it with some beeswax in my archery kit, looks the same and about the same hardness.

Thanks guys!
    some good Beeswax based lubes are:

Randyrat's TAC
    (I'm not sure if he is still giving out his recipes, there is a couple versions, but there are surely mentions of them in CB posts that are easily searched)

Junior's 411 lube (4 parts beeswax, 1 part Dexron ATF and 1 part Lithium auto grease)

666+1 Lube (AKA:Satan's Lube) 6oz vaseline, 6oz paraffin wax, 6oz beeswax, 1 oz Ivory soap (shaved from Bar).

Pro-Tip: When cooking/blending the last two recipes, always add Beeswax last, preferably after everything has already cooked/blended together ...I would break beeswax into small pieces, shut off heat source, then add the beeswax to melt/blend into mix. Because Beeswax scotches easily.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 11-13-2020 at 10:50 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    When cut..does it smell like honey? Pure beeswax should. At work, we get blocks of so-called beeswax that look just like yours..used for lubricating bandsaw blades..these are not pure beeswax, I think for economic reasons they are mixed with paraffin. Never tried to use for lube..but they make excellent casting flux!

Boolit Master
    Are you sure its not Paraffin, it shatters like that.
    There was a popular lube for a while with 50% Paraffin and 50% Vaseline then some one improved it with 50% Beeswax and 50% Vaseline. Could be one of those?
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stockcarver View Post

Thanks guys!
    Recipe from former commercial lube maker Garth Choate :
    3 parts beeswax
    1 part Lithium Grease
    " When we made it we used 24 pounds of Beeswax and 8 pounds of Lithium Grease (automotive) . Melt the wax first and then add the grease and heat very slowly or the wax will start burning and it is hard to put out " ... Garth Choate

Garth told me this lube was better than the 50/50 alox - beeswax lube he also sold . The new alox formulation wasn't as good as the original and the Lithi-Bee in his opinion was better.

It's a good simple lube , in handguns and up to 2000 fps in rifles , I have never experienced any leading with it !
    ... I have tried many but keep coming back to good old Lithi-Bee .
    Since you have beeswax ... a tube of Lithium Grease is all you need .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Recipe from former commercial lube maker Garth Choate :
    3 parts beeswax
    1 part Lithium Grease
    " When we made it we used 24 pounds of Beeswax and 8 pounds of Lithium Grease (automotive) . Melt the wax first and then add the grease and heat very slowly or the wax will start burning and it is hard to put out " ... Garth Choate

Garth told me this lube was better than the 50/50 alox - beeswax lube he also sold . The new alox formulation wasn't as good as the original and the Lithi-Bee in his opinion was better.

It's a good simple lube , in handguns and up to 2000 fps in rifles , I have never experienced any leading with it !
    ... I have tried many but keep coming back to good old Lithi-Bee .
    Since you have beeswax ... a tube of Lithium Grease is all you need .

Gary
    Wow! 24 pounds.

I will give it a try. But not with the fire! Double boiler for me.

Thanks everyone. Meanwhile back at the farm I ordered two bricks of SPG to try in my 45-110 with the Postells.

Boolit Master
    Looks like there are different versions of Lithi-Bee. Choate might be a little stiff for winter use.
    This is from the sticky of bullet lube recipes. Did you determine if you have bees wax or not?

Adrian's Goo ( AKA lithi-Bee)
    1 part Beeswax
    1 part Lithium auto lube cartridge
    mix with heat do not exceed flashpoint labeled on cartridge (225degrees iirc) does not
    require heat to lube bullets

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Looks like there are different versions of Lithi-Bee. Choate might be a little stiff for winter use.
    This is from the sticky of bullet lube recipes. Did you determine if you have bees wax or not?

Adrian's Goo ( AKA lithi-Bee)
    1 part Beeswax
    1 part Lithium auto lube cartridge
    mix with heat do not exceed flashpoint labeled on cartridge (225degrees iirc) does not
    require heat to lube bullets
    I've made a batch of 50-50 Lithi-Bee.
    when shooting it, it smelled like a grease fire, I hated it...but that was the only problem.
    I wonder if the Choate version (25-75) is less smelly ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    I would think it might be less aromatic but also wonder about the grease you used in the application. I use either the brown grease (EP high temperature grease) or the red grease. Both from Wal-Mart. There are many other brands used in other lube recipes.

50-50 is a bit soft and sticky, but applies easily year round. Maybe something with a harder blend would do as well. It is nice to not have to warm up the lube sizer during the cooler time of the year.

Boolit Grand Master

The 3 parts beeswax and 1 part Lithium is soft and flows without heat .
    It can be stiffened with the addition of a little Parrafin Wax .
    The Lube from Garth Choate was red in color ... I used Lucas Red-N-Tacky Lithium to make a batch and it works fine .
    I don't notice any grease fire smell in the 3/1 blend ... but I don't smell so good... so my wife tells me .
    A 1/1 (50/50) mix will be very soft and tacky ... I have seen that ratio given before but the stuff purchased from Choate didn't appear to be that soft ... so I wrote him and he gave me his recipe ...which I prefer .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Dusty, I don't recall what grease I used, it was whatever cheap automotive lithium grease I had in the greasegun 9 years ago, when I cooked it up. I imagine I made some notes, maybe even posted them on CB? But I ain't interested enough to search 'em out. Also, I do recall the smell during cooking was also awful.

=======================
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The 3 parts beeswax and 1 part Lithium is soft and flows without heat .
    It can be stiffened with the addition of a little Parrafin Wax .
    The Lube from Garth Choate was red in color ... I used Lucas Red-N-Tacky Lithium to make a batch and it works fine .
    I don't notice any grease fire smell in the 3/1 blend ... but I don't smell so good... so my wife tells me .
    A 1/1 (50/50) mix will be very soft and tacky ... I have seen that ratio given before but the stuff purchased from Choate didn't appear to be that soft ... so I wrote him and he gave me his recipe ...which I prefer .
    Gary
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    As to smell. I can smell Alox when I am shooting boolits with 45-45-10, and I don't mind it. I know a couple other cast boolit shooters that HATE the smell of Alox, and will not use it. SO I guess it's all subjective. I'll probably never mix up another batch of Lithi-Bee, but at least I have more info, if I have a friend that is thinking about it. ...AND yes, the 50-50 Lithi-Bee was quite soft and messy to deal with while lubing boolits and loading ammo. I bet the 25-75 would act much like The NRA 50-50 (Alox-Beeswax), which I have also used, and while it's somewhat soft, it isn't messy to deal with.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Grand Master

JonB ,
    You are exactly right about the consistency of 1/3 lithium - beeswax . It is a dead ringer for NRA 50/50 Alox - beeswax consistency .
    I have always preferred soft lubes and living in Louisiana we don't have long hard frozen winters so the consistency of 1 / 3 and 50 / 50 lubes flow well even in cool weather .
    I did use a hair dryer one winter day when I needed a few more lubed boolits, it was a chilly 41 degrees, to warm up the Lyman 450 ... but that was the only time heat was required .
    My reloading building isn't heated and I tend to stay in the house on cold days ...getting old .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"