Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Differences In Reloading Lubed Vs PC Bullets

Boolit Buddy

Differences In Reloading Lubed Vs PC Bullets

If this is not the correct category, please move it.

Been reloading for MANY years....rifle, pistol and shotgun. Just casting in the last few years, so I still have a lot to learn. In the past few years I've always lubed my cast bullets and have never had any issues in reloading them (pistol & rifle). Recently, I tried powder coating, and that went well. So I sized them and proceeded to reload them....they wouldn't chamber. They were too large in diameter. The exact same bullet, sized in the exact same sizer(sized after PC), but lubed instead PC'd, loads beautifully.

What's causing this? I may just have to stay lubing these bullets instead of PC for this round. If it makes any difference, the bullet was a COWW in a Lee TL356-95-RF loaded for use in 380ACP. They wouldn't chamber as in "pass the plunk" test.

With the RF design, probably the nose contacting rifling. Try seating 0.010" deeper. I have the same issue with the 45-228R in some pistols.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Did you size them after applying the PC?
    The PC process adds a couple of thousandths to the diameter.

Boolit Buddy
    To answer both questions/suggestions. I seated the PC bullets slightly deeper, but that did not allow them to pass the "plunk" test. The same cast RF bullet, but sized and lubed, would pass the "plunk" test.

The PC bullets were sized AFTER applying the PC. Both bullets were sized in a Lee push thru sizer. The non-PC were also lubed with the liquid Alox.

Just to confuse matters more...I also sized both bullets on a RCBS LAM2 as a trial. Same results, the PC would not chamber, but the non-PC would. As mentioned before, all sizing was done after powder coating.

Boolit Master
    When you PC the bullet, you are increasing the dimensions in ALL directions on all surfaces. The bullet is longer, the nose diameter is larger, the driving bands are larger. When you size the bullet you only reduce the diameter of the driving bands and the nose diameter still remains larger due to the PC on the nose of the bullet. For this reason the bullet needs to be seated deeper in the case because the increased nose diameter is contacting the lands sooner.

When you size a cast bullet, you only change/reduce the diameter of the driving bands. The other dimensions of the casting are unchanged.

This^^^^^^
    I believe Dusty has hit on the answer. I had a similar issue with the Lee 356-125-RN when I powder coated it.
    The nose section got enough larger that I needed to seat much deeper to get it to chamber. I went back to lube because I didn't want to seat the boolit that deep.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe Dusty and Taz have nailed it. I could get the PC bullet to chamber, but it was WAY too deep for my liking. I had a feeling it was "something like that", but wanted a more experienced answer. I'll probably just tumble lube the rest. Good thing I didn't PC my whole casting session of those bullets. Any suggestions what to do with the ones that are already PC?

Banned
    NOE sells boolit nose sizing dies to compensate for this and to help seat cast boolit tighter into the lands.

Boolit Master

I have the same problem.... don't use the same COAL. Find the new COAL. Your nose got fatter. Makes a huge difference on my 6.5mm calibers.

I treat a PC and lubed bullet as different bullets. I find each ones COAL and the do a load tune. Some guns are the same and some are different.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

The NOE dies will not help in this case. Seating deeper is the only way other than not coating them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crandall crank View Post
    I believe Dusty and Taz have nailed it. I could get the PC bullet to chamber, but it was WAY too deep for my liking. I had a feeling it was "something like that", but wanted a more experienced answer. I'll probably just tumble lube the rest. Good thing I didn't PC my whole casting session of those bullets. Any suggestions what to do with the ones that are already PC?
    If they are not sized yet, got a friend with a 38 spec revolver.

Boolit Master
    Like Dusty said do you have a 38 to load them in or know somebody with a 38? You could always load them deeper to chamber but lower your charge to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by crandall crank View Post
    Melt them down and recast them. The PC will smoke but does a wonderful job of fluxing the lead.
    Watch out for the vapors. They can be a bit toxic. Best if they are melted outside.

Boolit Buddy
    I think I'll try to seat them slightly deeper. Powder load is near minimum currently. Next option would be light 38 loads. If those don't work, I guess it will be to melt them down. Thanks for the reminder about the fumes, I ALWAYS melt and flux outside. I only cast in the barn with all of the doors open, so there is always a breeze on my back.

Boolit Master
    Be VERY careful when seating deeper. It doesn't take much of a change to severely increase pressures in those little cases.

Cut your load way back and work it up again.

If it were me I'd just melt the whole lot and lube them.

And, yes, this is a common problem when powder coating bullets that are sized to be lubed only. One of the benefits of ordering a mold from Accurate is you can specify that it be made a bit smaller in dia, which is what I did for my .308 rifle.