Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: let one walk

Boolit Buddy

let one walk

Has anyone not taken a clear & easy shot because they didn't have the "right" gun with them or taken a shot at an animal they might have let pass with one rifle but not another? Yesterday I let a nice 8 point walk right by that i know darn well if i had a gun stoked with cast boolits i would have taken. Instead I had my new Tikka 6.5x55 and he got a pass for another day. I had been trading off with between marlin 45/70 with a hot loaded Gould boolit, Ruger American .358 winchester with 230gr ranch dogs and the Tikka. In the past i have shot smaller bucks that i might have let walk only because i had an open sighted lever gun with cast boolits and it just seemed "right". First picture attached shows the buck and the others are from my early morning boat ride to get to where i was hunting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1256.jpg   62670804654__460537F0-B93B-4209-AE17-D1A72EC63543.jpg   IMG_1255.jpg   IMG_1252.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1256.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	271206

tried a different version of picture, thumbnails were too grainy

What a beautiful place to hunt. I couldn't see a deer in your pics. Why not shoot with the 6.5 x 55? My grandson has a Tikka 6.5 x 55, it has a very long throat, does yours? But I certainly understand not taking a shot on any certain deer you may see.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Grand Master
    I let one pass decades ago. Was sitting in a fence line with some tumbleweeds around me, and a deer jumps over the fence and lands about 3 ft from me and turns and looks at me. I didn't budge or blink an eye and it finally turned and took a few steps then would look back at me. Take a few steps, turn back and look. I got my pistol up and cocked the pistol (Super Blackhawk stoked with the 429421 boolit) and watched it wander off, over the span of about 10 min. Finally got my rifle up and watched it leave the field.
    It had been in a fight and had a broken horn hanging off the side of its head, with the side of its head bloody. Felt sorry for the thing, so let it go.
    Never saw another buck the rest of the deer season!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I use the KISS system. My hunting rifles are .308's. I do not shoot through brush, as I do not believe in taking a shot that may end up wounding an animal.

I always have the "right" gun, and the right bullet (jacketed game bullets).

If someone has does not have the "right" gun/bullet, they suffer from the 7P's. They need to have the discipline to pass up risky shots.

The only shots I "pass" on are a doe with a fawn, and bucks with less than 8 points, unless they are mature and need to be culled out of the gene pool.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I can't seem to get a picture with enough resolution uploaded to show the deer, blends in too well despite only being about 50yards away. the Tikka does have a long throat, doest seem to hurt accuracy though, tack driver with several different loads so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    What a beautiful place to hunt. I couldn't see a deer in your pics. Why not shoot with the 6.5 x 55? My grandson has a Tikka 6.5 x 55, it has a very long throat, does yours? But I certainly understand not taking a shot on any certain deer you may see.

Boolit Master
    I have killed a ton of deer, literally, with a 6.5 Swede I built in 1985, from 30 to 500yds, no problem. This rifle rides with me ever day since I built it.

I understand what you are talking about. I limit myself to 100 yards with my iron sighted rifles with cast bullets. But I pass up shots almost daily from my porch that I could easily make with my 25-06. I limit my revolver shots to 50 yards or so. If the deer is too far away, oh well. Try again another day.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

We hunt river bottoms and thick stuff with revolvers and recurves. But yet we pass on shots. Some less than 10 yards.
    I have had a nice buck jump over me. I was sitting in my kayak and had just poked him with my paddle while he was sound asleep in the sun on a grassy spot along North Fork River.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned

never passed on one because i had the wrong gun but have passed on a few because i didnt need anymore venison or didnt feel like gutting and cutting up another deer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    never passed on one because i had the wrong gun but have passed on a few because i didnt need anymore venison or didnt feel like gutting and cutting up another deer.
    Same here
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Banned

I've let them walk for various reasons. Can't remember ever doing it for having the wrong rifle.

Lat year I cheated and used jacketed loads in an '06 to get a deer, had my reasons, not good enough ones.. I felt like such a loser taking the easy way. Don't really plan on ever doing it again with anything 7mm or bigger, jacketed out at long range is hardly hunting.

About an hour ago, a friend was over to learn reloading. We stepped out back with his first two rounds(.44 mag 180 gr JHP over 9 grs Unique) and he shot a coffee can that I chunked toward the 40 yard berm. A small doe stood up from behind the berm and stood there looking at us while I shot the can with the second shot. Then she ambled off, not a care in the world. I hope she brings a big relative with her next time!

Boolit Master

few deer get a 'pass' here.

they are always the deer that are in rifle range but i'm out with the bow.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    I don't like to take anything less than a positive shot. I've never lost one or had to trail an animal more than 50 yards. In the woods that means passing on shots because of obstructions.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

I've passed on several this year because I'm waiting to hear a shot from my 15 year old son. But today is last day of season so all bets are off LOL. I think it is a good idea to pass on a deer anytime it doesn't seem or feel right. Too far away or trouble tracking etc. heavy side winds.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Banned

That's some nice scenery up there........when I lived in Pennsylvania I used to go camping on Acadia!

Boolit Master

I have passed plenty of small bucks and does with bow, cast, and jacketed. Depending on my equipment, however, my standards differ. I have more relaxed standards with a bow, a little higher with cast, and highest with jacketed. It was only a few days ago that I killed my first buck with a bow, a nontypical 9 point. I feel blessed to have opportunity to hunt as much as I do and with different equipment. A lot of people only have one gun and a couple days a year to get something down. I don't snub them for their "if it's brown, it's down" philosophy. I have been there, too.

I still don't get why the Tikka 6.5x55 was not the right rifle.

I sure have passed on shots I would not have, if Ohio would let me use my 30-06... or 30-30 for that matter.

Boolit Buddy
    Wasn't that the 6.5x55 would not work, while it was a nice deer it wasn't a monster buck and early in the season, but if i had an open sighted cast bullet stoked lever gun in my hands I would of shot without question. Hard to explain i guess, sometimes the gun and load used is as important to me as the size of the animal. That said I have to opportunity to hunt a lot and and able to fill the freezer with unlimited does during our expanded archery season that runs 3 months so that takes some pressure off.

Quote Originally Posted by Win94ae View Post
    I still don't get why the Tikka 6.5x55 was not the right rifle.

I sure have passed on shots I would not have, if Ohio would let me use my 30-06... or 30-30 for that matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast