RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: let one walk

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
    Wasn't that the 6.5x55 would not work, while it was a nice deer it wasn't a monster buck and early in the season, but if i had an open sighted cast bullet stoked lever gun in my hands I would of shot without question. Hard to explain i guess, sometimes the gun and load used is as important to me as the size of the animal. That said I have to opportunity to hunt a lot and and able to fill the freezer with unlimited does during our expanded archery season that runs 3 months so that takes some pressure off.
    Thanks for the explanation! Good luck!

If the animal is more important than the hunt, use a modern scoped rifle
    If the hunt is more important than the animal use a lever gun and cast bullets. Way more satisfying no matter how big the antlers.

Boolit Master
    I let a lot of deer walk most years. With the kids gone I only need a couple deer a year. Yet I love to hunt and want to hunt the entire season. When I see a deer coming I get ready and excited. The moment I can close the deal for sure I just quietly say bang but don’t pull the trigger. Ive now had all the fun of the hunt but don’t have to clean another deer that I don’t need.

This year I killed two antelope in Wyoming. Hence I don’t need anymore meat. Ive been in deer camp since Oct 15 hunting with my homemade longbow. Wow! That has a learning curve. Saw lots of deer but beyond my limit of 15 yds, had a very pretty 12 yd shot at a very small button buck but passed it up. He an I had built a relationship over the last month. I hope he survives.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

Have not shot a buck in over 10 yrs. but I sure do like to see them. Have passed them up for the son-in-law to get. When it comes time for meat I try to pick an old doe. Have got lots of horns on the wall, don't need any more. Let them big ones do some breeding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12