Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: We will remember them.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

We will remember them.

Final Mission of SP4 Robert B. Curran

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

http://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/11549/ROBERT-B-CURRAN

SP4 Robert B. Curran, SP4 Marshal E. Naffziger, and SSGT James C. Reamer were armor crewmen, and SP4 Robert D. “Sam” Severson and SP4 Rodrick Troup infantrymen, all serving with B Troop, 1st Squadron, 1st Cavalry, 196th Infantry Brigade, Americal Division. On August 5, 1971, their unit was on its seventh day of a 30-day armored combat patrol consisting of nine M113 armored personnel carriers (APC’s) and three M551 Sheridan tanks. The lead APC was being operated by SP4 Severson with the other four soldiers traveling on top of the vehicle. While crossing a rice paddy, a command-detonated mine was exploded, flipping Severson’s APC on its top. He and the four men riding above were killed instantly. At that same moment, Viet Cong hidden in the creek bed and tree lines surrounding the paddy opened fire. In the ensuing firefight, another B Trooper from one of the Sheridan crews, SSGT Johnny E. Jones, was fatally injured by small arms fire. Two others were wounded. Fifteen minutes later, the enemy broke contact and disappeared into the jungle. Dismounted patrols searched the area and found no trace of them or any evidence of enemy casualties. A medivac was requested, and the six casualties and two wounded were “dusted off” to the 75th Evacuation Hospital in Da Nang. After examining the wrecked APC, it was surmised that the blast was caused by 150 pounds of nitrostarch, undoubtedly constructed from dud Allied rounds. All personal items were removed from the damaged vehicle, and the track was stripped of its weapons and radios. Using cables, two other tracks then righted the APC, and it was lifted from the paddy by a CH-47 Chinook cargo helicopter to a waiting M88 Recovery Vehicle which carried it back to base. B Troop then resumed its patrol.

LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Moderator Emeritus

R.I.P. SP4 Curan, you earned it sir. Thanks for posting that. I was 11 years old back then.

I remember them, my uncles who went off to WWII and came back scarred, wounded, missing pieces. My father in law who was running a Cat in support of a rock crusher which was making crushed rock for an airfield, which happened to be up by Chosen in the Korean conflict.

I remember the school mates and neighbors who went off to nam, and who either did not come back, or came back broken in body or mind.

I remember. And I Salute you.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

L/Cprl Michael C. Farrell Khe Sanh 1968 Rocket attack. Thank you for helping me along.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm very grateful to be serving amongst our nation's finest - past, present, and future.

Thanks, Dinny
    US Army 1994-2021 (retirement approved!)
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Banned

Boolit Master
    Pvt Thomas KIA Afghanistan 2011.

Boolit Master

My grandfather, Dennis R. Weaver, served as a tank crewman during WWII on the front lines in Italy. His unit saw 315 days of continuous combat. A record for the US Army. His experience served as inspiration for the movie, "Fury".

Ironically, after my four years active duty in the Navy fixing airplanes, I signed up for the US Army National Guard as a 12B. Combat Engineer. I drove an M60 chassis tracked vehicle fitted with a folding bridge. We called it an AVLB (Armored Vehicle, Launch Bridge). While piloting my ancient 1972 tank, built by the Chrysler corporation, I couldn't help but think of my grandfather. I lovingly referred to my vehicle as "The New Yorker" since my parents owned a 1972 Chrysler New Yorker when I was a kid.

Here are some photos of my grandfather, along with several he took while serving on the front lines in Italy. I can only hope to be 1/10th the man that he was...

Attachment 271261

Attachment 271262

Attachment 271263

Attachment 271264

Attachment 271265
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

I SHALL NEVER FORGET my best friend's father, CDR Charles L. Putnam, United States Navy Pilot, lost 3-9-67 over Vietnam or his family. A "casualty of war" that forever changed the fate of a pair of inseparable, "forever Summer", and like-minded, 13-y.o. Southern boys. It tore us from our innocence, brought untold weight down on us hard (particularly Charlie, named for his father), blew up our world, and literally destroyed my one true friend as unknowingly he would soon be an orphan. His remaining family, Mom, brother and twin sisters going to Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's that year, were killed in a head on collision outside of New Orleans, LA. Turn the page...but never forget.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus

Worked with a guy at a nut and bolt warehouse while in college for a few months. Really quiet type. We were out drinking after work and he had a few more than he intended. Stuff I heard from him about Nam and what he experienced. I will never forget. That guy was barely holding on in retrospect and was handling it the best he could.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

The Brits had a excellent saying about combat,” to see the Elephant”. RVN 1972, things seen, never to be forgotten, burned in memory.....
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers