WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many have you eaten?

How many have you eaten?

I came late to deer hunting. I was 26 the first time I went deer hunting and 28 when I got my first deer. I started dating Mrs.Thumbcocker when we were 29. Illinois has small metal pins with a deer head and the year on it that you get when you check in a deer or ask for one at a license vendor.

After this years deer kills I counted my pins and added in a deer we were gifted plus a few road kills we scarfed during lean years. Including 2 that ran into our vehicles over the years. The upshot is that in 30 years we have eaten 50 white tail deer. Suprised us.

So how many have y'all eaten over the years?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Never have kept track, game animals just sort of come and go. Don't think it's anywhere near 50 though.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Master
    Louisiana season limits are rather generous. There was a time when it was one legal deer per day during a 3 month long season. The current season limit here is six. I've been hunting every year since about 1974. I'll just say there have been quite a few more than 50. I do try to bless people in need with venison every year, often much more than I keep for myself.

We consume 2 or 3 per year on average. Started out mostly jerky or ground meat, but the last 3 or 4 years we have gone to using all the different cuts. Funny thing is, thats about the time we started doing all the processing ourselves and the meat seems to have a better taste.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    No way to count them. Archery, Muzzle loader, Firearms. Started young & like leadeye it's just been a way of life. When I was young & worked I spent many hours hog hunting, frog gigging, gigging fish & fishing at night. Daytime was wrapped up with anything that was in season at the time when I wasn't working. I'm retired now & hunt quite a bit still & took up trapping coyotes 2-years ago & wound up with many Bobcats, Coons, Skunks, & opossums. Never thought to keep track of any of it. But I have been blessed with abundance, and therefore I am thankful on bended knee.

Banned
    We had an overpopulated decade & shot to many to count for a number of years. Must be upwards of 150 in 25 years. We relied on it for 6+yrs.

Boolit Master
    We process 1-2 deer per year. Sometimes 3 but that’s rare, mostly hot pan sausage or smoked. Been doing that since I was 15, I’m now almost 71. That’s a lot of deer,La hunters kill about 125K per year that are counted. Seems like about that many end upon the road also. If I find one not swelled, I’ll stop and investigate.

Boolit Grand Master

200 plus
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I hunted about every year during the 80's until '06 and we sold the 'low fence' place in the Texas Hill Country.
    Having venison was sort of a novelty for a city kid.

I did my own processing, liked having it in the freezer,
    but never really tried to make hunting a substitute for going to the meat counter at the grocery store.

All in all, I figure I got 40-something.
    My last 5 were with cast. Three RN 170s in a .30-06, and two were 405s in a .45-70.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

5 to 8 a year until I got in this wheelchair two in the last 11years, but I'm back in the woods now with a track drive chair it's a different way of hunting but it will do. I started 50 + years ago we ate a lot of deer
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

I'm a young 52 years old , family has always been hunters so been eating deer even before I killed my first when I was 12 along with a healthy amount of squirrel and other small game . As a youngster it was rare to have beef or pork at our table .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would estimate 150 deer, a dozen or so elk, a bear, a couple buffalo, caribou, a few bighorn sheep, a mountain goat, some moose, dozens of antelope, a few mt. lions, and lots of small game and fish.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Well for the past 34 years or so, the wife and I have filled at least 2 tags each, the last 20 years we fill between 5-8 deer, which is our limit. We bow, rifle and ML hunt, and eat them all. We usually gift a deer, half each to 2 families down the road I will be conservative, and say 200, we leave nothing but a skeleton and hide, trimming off every inch of scrap as it can be ground up. We also share a cooler full when we go see my daughter in Ohio. We have come to depend on it, and got to where we prefer it over beef, and I raise a few cows. The wife and I work to live a self sustaining lifestyle, and grow a spring, summer and fall/winter garden, with a huge garden coming in the next month or so.

Moderator Emeritus

If you are counting eating the whole deer, not just a mealor two......Between age 2 and 32 about one a year. Between ages 33 and 66 at least 2 a year and some years 4. Antelope probably no more than 20, 12 Elk and 1 moose.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    im 51 and as a family we have ate venison all my life.the wife and i kill 5 or 6 a year now to make it through.so id hate to say atleast 150 thru the years

Banned

I was late to the game too, killed my first one at 30, I think. Have averaged about two a year since, 24 years now.Have also done a few someone hit that I called to have an LEO put down. I guess it's pretty close to 50 here as well.

I'm embarrassed to post my numbers after seeing the above, good for y'all.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Banned

probably have averaged 50 a year over the last 10 years and probably one a year average for the previous 30. Cant say i eat all of the 50 a year but a good 30 of them anyway after deer we donate to the church and food banks. Ill say that i havent bought more then 50 lbs of beef hamburger in the last 10 years and probably not even that much beef steak and roasts. Big advantage i have is we do crop damage shooting (not hunting) on a local farm from the second week of july to the first of oct most years we can shoot as many as we want. Only one year (last year) were we shut down before the first of oct.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    None. Zero. Nada. I just kill paper targets and water bottles. Have not killed a single living thing with a weapon in my entire life. I get all my protein from the local butcher shops.

Banned

every time you ate meat from the store you were just as responsible for killing an animal as i would be shooting a deer. Your protein comes from living animals not the meat fairy at the store. The history of man would have ended before the Neanderthal if we all relied on someone else to kill the animals to feed us. We sure wouldnt be speaking english today if our fore fathers and the people serving today werent willing to kill. Killing to survive is part of human nature. Has been since the first man and will be till the last one dies. Guns are made to kill things. Why else would you own one? Its like buying a harley and putting it in your basement. Kind of reminds me of my wife. When we first dated my buddy brought over some fresh eggs from his chickens. She said she sure as heck wouldnt eat brown eggs that came out of the but of a chicken. her eggs are white and come from the store She also had never ate venision at that time. As you can probably figure she has a different attitude today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast