Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primers

Boolit Mold

Primers

Does anyone have a clue when we might see primers for sale again?

Boolit Master

Jan 2025
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    here's info from people who know something about it

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/why-...pply-shortage/

Moderator Emeritus

I just bought some.
    if there is none on the shelves near you, they'll likely show up soon.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I just need a brick or two more of each size to be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Banned
    Collecting primers is a hobby unto itself, best completed when supply is high & prices are low. Thats how I attempt to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ban View Post
    Collecting primers is a hobby unto itself, best completed when supply is high & prices are low. Thats how I attempt to do it.
    Same.

I've bought the vast majority of my primers in 2 large purchases. One in 2008 and the other in 2012. Should have enough to last me forever, unless I live forever. Except Large Pistol Mag. I never needed them until I bought my first 44 Mag.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Same.

I've bought the vast majority of my primers in 2 large purchases. One in 2008 and the other in 2012. Should have enough to last me forever, unless I live forever. Except Large Pistol Mag. I never needed them until I bought my first 44 Mag.
    That's funny- thanks for that

Good info. Thanks.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

I am horrified. Went out to the Reloading shed today looking for Small Pistol Primers to reload some .38's. NONE. Seems that over the last 4 years I have been buying LR and SR incrementally a 1000 at a time; so I am in great shape for Rifle - but no Small Pistol in the reloading shed. Guess I'll have to go to the Shipping container and get out a 1000 tomorrow from the stash I bought back under the Clintonista Regime. Lesson Learned; I'll work on inventory control better next cycle and ensure I am more balanced in my acquisitions.

I have yet to see a MANUFACTURER forecast increased availability in XX weeks or xx months.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Mold

Thank you for posting that article.

Boolit Buddy
    Good read ... thanks for posting. I’m quite lucky as I’ve been stocking up on primers for the last few years ... 2 or 3 boxes every gun show trip.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for posting, interesting we just have 4 manufacturers and I remember when Obama took the Russian primers out of the equation

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ban View Post
    LOVE IT!!!!

I have an extensive "collection". Sounds much better than "hoarding". I have not bought primers for about 3-4 years so I am not contributing to the current shortage.

As to the OP's question, no one really knows when supply and/or prices will get reasonable again. I expect that with Biden "winning", it will make the situation worse. If I were in your shoes, I would plan for two years of shortages and high prices.

There are reports of guys on this site getting primers at reasonable prices in limited quantities. Seems to be significant regional variations. Hope your area is not as badly affected.
    Don Verna

GENTEX primers are being shipped as we speak my friend got a shipment the other day ..no not for sale !! they come from BOSNIA
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Master
    There are no primers available in my area. I just saw 9000 lg rifle primers sell at a local auction for $1136. I assume they will be on sale on one of the national auction places soon.
    I got caught in a primer shortage in the 1970s. I started my collection then and haven't been short since. And, since primers aren't much good without other components, I have been collecting other components as well and don't think I will be out of anything gun related for the rest of my shooting days.
    I'm sure there are many reasons there is a shortage now and I don't see it clearing up for some time.

Boolit Master

This morning on Fox Business they had a short segment on Ammunition Sales Status. They indicated Ammunition Manufacturers currently have $1Billion backorder. They say they have at least a One Year backlog of orders. Extrapolating; if the situation continues as it currently is - we will not see any significant availability of Primers until 2022.

Note: as of 1055 Eastern time this morning Fox Business *Stuart Varney) "Modified" the above report. Instead of all Ammo Manufacturers having a $1B backlog, they are now reporting that VISTA alone has a $1B backlog of ammo orders. So the availability of Primers may or may not be affected even more. Obviously; the CHALLENGE in the ammo Market is worse than the reporters indicated earlier this morning.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 11-12-2020 at 11:58 AM.
    Mustang

Boolit Master
    Interesting and ( thanks for posting ) I had noticed all the imported primers were missing also .

Boolit Master
    I just had a disturbing thought , what if the next administration gets us in another little war to get our mind off current issues, it might turn into a very long wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast