Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: 1960 Colt Police Positive

Boolit Grand Master

1960 Colt Police Positive

There is a thread on the 3 inch S&W Model 60 and that called this gun to mind. I bought this recently and have to say I am delighted with it. It apparently hit the pavement at some time in its career, and although it is a little scuffed up on the trigger guard and on the barrel, it locks up tight and is properly timed. IMHO, it has not been shot much, but that can be corrected.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3828.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	271158.

For those of us "of a certain age," it brings to mind the gangster and film noir movies of the 30's and 40's, but it was a very popular Police service weapon, especially in those departments that required officers to be armed 24-7. Cops didn't make very much in those days, and one gun that fulfilled two functions was a blessing. At 23 ounces it was half a pound lighter than the S&W M&P, while the Colt Official Police weighed nearly 3/4's of pound more. My Uncle Don carried one as a Reserve Officer in Redford Township, though his was blue. It is like a 4 inch Detective Special. A fellow could do a lot worse than to choose one of these for a personal defense weapon. Now I just need to make a holster.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Mighty nice!

I have a couple PPSs also, and I really like them, and have CCW'd them.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    They did make them with 3-inch barrels also. Here are a couple:

Attachment 271160Attachment 271161
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

those are so nice.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

I've got a 4" blued, Police Positive in 38 S&W. It's in nice shape other than some holster wear. It is fairly accurate but the timing is off. It works fine in single action but the cylinder doesn't line up in double action, resulting in shaving lead. Mine is stamped NBPD (New Brighton Police Department) on the bottom of the grip. I've been searching for a Colt in 32 S&W long, but unfortunately they all seem to have been made of gold, or so their prices would indicate.

Boolit Master
    Nice old Colt!
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Here’s my 4 inch .38 S&W PP, I only bought it because it’s sporting a factory lanyard ring. They are cute little Colts. Mine is older, from 1941 and has the half moon front sight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 786810FB-CD45-4E30-832A-5265CA1EA4E6.jpg   3FA95797-13F7-48D8-9D53-BFA728C7BD76.jpg  

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    It was also common back in the day pre-WW2 to have gunsmiths "bob" off the barrel to make a hide-out gun, here are a couple of those:

Attachment 271187Attachment 271188Attachment 271189Attachment 271190
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    The D-frame Colts were lightweight for their size and that certainly made them popular with people that carried them a lot.
    The market share tug-O-war between Colt and S&W went on for a long time. S&W got the upper hand in that sales competition only to see Ruger join the DA revolver fight in the 1970's!

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a Colt Police Positive 4" and a Detective Special 2" at a gun show NIB a few years ago. These were the last models ('80s) produced and both are great guns. Lighter than the K frame Smiths and very smooth actions. They actually shoot better for me than my large frame Colts. I love the sights on the them. I always like adjustable sights but these are just perfect and better than any I've tried. These are my "nightstand guns."

Boolit Master
    I've been a fan of Colt PP's and PPS's as well as S&W 1903 Hand Ejectors and later J-frames- all in .32. If push came to shove and I were allowed but one of the bunch it would be my 1958-vintage Colt .32 Police Positive Special 4". To me it just "feels" perfect. Could be the round butt- as sexy as a super model's butt!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Here's the gun from the first post with an old/new set of Mustang grips and a Galco Horizontal Shoulder Holster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3829 Police Positive.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	272693
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

The police positive special kept the square butt frame into the mid 50’s. From then on, it got the rounded butt frame same as the DS. 1966 or later, it was offer with either square butt ( diamondback service stocks) or round butt stocks ( either stocks could fit on the 1966 or later short grip frame). For myself with small hands, square butt stocks with a pachmayr grip adapter is a perfect fit. Better even over diamondback target stocks, but that is for myself.
    Anyway, for those who wonder how someone could shoot a somewhat small gun with maybe bigger hands, try if you can, square butt stocks.