Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, my first attempt at dtpc was an epic failure

Boolit Buddy
    The first time I tried to preheat I ended up with a lead sculpture. I never tried that again.

Looks like this is a very common beginner mistake !

Quote Originally Posted by Rightbrained View Post
    Looks like this is a very common beginner mistake !
    Nope! My first ones were perfect. As were my first and every bullet I've cast with every mold I've used.

I smell BS ! Haha

Boolit Master

Thanks for reporting your experience. Based on that I am going to check the yard sale toaster oven that I bought for $1 before I bake my first batch. Probably use a cheap oven thermometer from the $1 store. Thinking while I write, I can include a batch of uncoated boolets to make it more realistic without risking anything.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Thanks for reporting your experience. Based on that I am going to check the yard sale toaster oven that I bought for $1 before I bake my first batch. Probably use a cheap oven thermometer from the $1 store. Thinking while I write, I can include a batch of uncoated boolets to make it more realistic without risking anything.
    That’s a good idea. I certainly won’t be trying anymore until I have a thermometer to check my Chinese toaster oven out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightbrained View Post
    That’s a good idea. I certainly won’t be trying anymore until I have a thermometer to check my Chinese toaster oven out.
    You must go with an oven therm. My conv pizza oven has to be set at 450 on the dial to hit 400.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned
    I lined the bottom of my small convection oven (Amazon $ $50 in 2016 and still going strong with a PID) with ceramic BBQ briquettes to help the oven recover faster after the door was opened. (fire bricks/ lava rock work also)
    ** top PID controls the oven, bottom PID controls the casting pot. the hood vent wasn't quite wide enough for both my casting pot and oven so I rigged a cardboard hood vent extender **
    the screens on top of the oven are to set pans of boolits on to pre-warm for casting on cold/damp days

before PID

I bought 2 large convection ovens from thrift stores for under $20 each

ue to warm boolits or bake 2 trays at a time

works great but haven't PC'd in it yet

testing thermostat setting for the oven -w- 2 thermometers on bake shelf

Last edited by Conditor22; 11-11-2020 at 05:47 PM. Reason: clean up

Conditor22,
    That’s a nice setup you have running.
    I’m still trying to figure out these PID’s and what all is needed to get one set up.

Banned
    Rightbrained This didn't happen overnight, I've been at this a little while.

I understand that for sure and I don’t expect to be considered even a novice for quite some time.
    One thing is for certain , I’m a hard headed cuss and won’t give up.

Boolit Master
    Another choice for you, digital thermometer with a thermocouple. Drill a hole in a coated bullet,insert thermocouple, smash the bullet onto the thermocouple. Put it in with your bullets. When your powder hits the target temp start a timer. Example, 400F for 10 minutes. This way you are measuring the temp of the bullets and not the air temp of the oven. You will work out which way works the best for you.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I lined the bottom of my small convection oven (Amazon $ $50 in 1916 and still going strong with a PID) with ceramic BBQ briquettes to help the oven recover faster after the door was opened. (fire bricks/ lava rock work also)

A hundred and four years old!! WOW,, It doesn't look a day over seventy years old,,,

LOL, I could not resist,,,

I just built my first PID, for the lead pot, I had not thought about one for the oven,,

I wonder if some 1/2 inch thick copper buss bar, or something else that holds heat would help in the bottom of the oven??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetMk View Post
    A hundred and four years old!! WOW,, It doesn't look a day over seventy years old,,,

LOL, I could not resist,,,

I just built my first PID, for the lead pot, I had not thought about one for the oven,,

I wonder if some 1/2 inch thick copper bus bar or something else that holds heat would help in the bottom of the oven??
    Try them and let us know

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12