Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grip -n-Pull Bullet Puller

Boolit Master

I've had an RCBS collect bullet puller for 40+yrs. Have 6 or 7 collets.
    Great for Rifle bullets that show bearing surface above the crimp.
    WILL NOT work on most Jacketed pistol bullets. Worthless on cast.

The impact hammers are great. Just like an eraser on a pencil. It's great for a few mistakes.
    Try doing 150 .44Mags with one. The harder the surface you smack them on, the better they work.
    The tighter the bullet pull & crimp ? The more "smacks" you'll need.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Wire stripper or side cutters. If a short case, just use a short section of PVC pipe. Case in press, slip PVC over it, extend ram, grip with stripper and lower ram. The hornady collet works on jacketed but seat deeper to break the 'bond' so bullet is not damaged.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

An aside; An old feller told me many years ago. "There is only one way to eat an elephant, that's one bite at a time". So, when I wanted to pull 100 HXP rounds, I whacked as many as I felt OK doing at one time (surplus military ammo and some took many whacks). One time I did 40, and the rest of the sessions were from, 5 or 6 to 12-15. Before I knew it, I was done...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

I found this one at a gun show several years ago, $3.00. Pulled a lot of 8mm surplus ammo bullets. Even did some 7.62X39
    steel case bullets. It worked okay till arthritis started to make it too hard to grip. Now I use an RCBS collet puller. It's slower but, at my age it does the job, no problem.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1112201032a_HDR-1_resized.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	271483
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by james23 View Post
    I have been looking at these for a while and ended up buying one on a online estate type sale for $27.50. Works good for me. Its a lot quicker than other methods, but may have problems if bullets are crimped in really strong. I have some old military rounds of different types that don't want to come out with the collet style and have to use the hammer type. For cast it would be a snap but would probably damage the bullet, which isnt a deal for me
    If you put a wad of sponge in the bottom of the inertia puller the bullet will not get damaged.
    Regards,

Gary

IDK for sure because you mentioned a specific product. In general I've used both collet pullers and impact pullers depending on the task at hand and frankly they are all a pain. If we could just avoid mistakes and what we think are other people's mistakes which give us an opportunity for reclaiming bullets we would be better off with more time for loading. Alas we are all human and you should expect very mixed results.
    regards,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
    If you put a wad of sponge in the bottom of the inertia puller the bullet will not get damaged.
    I have used a foam ear plug for this for the past 30 os so years. Just the right size and lasts a very long time.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    RCBS I bought has the foam/rubber installed. More than 5yrs ago.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used pliers and side cutters. I've used inertia pullers. Both methods have draw backs. I was thinking about buying the RCBS collet system. But now I think that I'm going to make one of these sprung pullers out of some 3/8" x 1 1/4" steel flat bar that I have in my shop.

This Grip-n-pull-bullet-puller reminds me of a blacksmithing tool called a sprung rivet header. It is just a steel bar with a series of holes, and a saw cut down the middle, that gets held in a post-vise. I'm actually having a hard time believing that they issued this guy a patent on such an old, and simple preexisting clamping system.

JM

Boolit Master
    I been using those big fence pliers you see in the rural farm stores.
    They have a big hook on one side and a hammer head on the other for pounding staples. In the middle there is a curved round jaw on one side and meets up with another round jaw on the other for gripping big wire and staples an big nails Looks about .30 caliber.
    But they also got serrated jaws also that sill grip almost anything.Anyway
    I just put the shell In the shell holder and run it up in the press where it sticks out the hole. I lay a big flat washer over the threaded area around the bullet to protect the threads. Then just get a good grip on the bullet with the pliers using the curves or any part of the plier jaws that grips the size bullet best and haul down on the press handle.
    If one part of the jaws slips of just get another bite with another part.
    These old fence pliers have never failed me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12