Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip -n-Pull Bullet Puller

Grip -n-Pull Bullet Puller

Has anyone ever used this product? Did it perform as advertised? Will it pull a crimped, gas checked bullet? Was the gas check removed with the bullet? Thanks for your feedback. I just didn’t want to make the purchase, and end up renaming it a “Gripe” -n- Pull! memtb

Boolit Master

I think that leaving a check in the case neck has nothing to do with type of puller used. I have left checks in cases with collet and impact pullers. As far as how this one will work, idk.

In my opinion, grip or collet pullets don't work for me on cast boolits. Give me an impact puller or a set of side cuttets to use with a reliading press.

ETA: I had a different puller in mind. That one should work along the lines of a pair of side cutters as long as the holes have some "teeth" and are not smooth.

I have no experience with that particular product, but do have inertia and collet pullers. The collet pullers, assuming that the collet is the proper size, will pull cast bullets but will usually mar them with a ring. The inertia pullers work best for me on cast if I desire to reuse the bullet. I've experienced gas checks left in the necks, and it is a pain to deal with. Usually I'll poke something in there like a stiff piece of wire to try and get the check to turn sideways, then grab the edge with some medical forceps and pull it out.

DG

Boolit Master

Ought to work for most jacketed bullets but suspect it might deform properly seated/crimped cast boolits if closed tightly enough to get a sold grip. I say 'most jacketed' because I've occasionally encountered old milsurp that even an RCBS collet puller...dusted inside with rosin...wouldn't break loose.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Don't have one and probably wouldn't pay $40.00 for one. Before you purchase, try a pair of pliers. Cast won't be reusable and j bullets may be damaged with the teeth of the pliers, but the principle/use is the same. With the different caliber holes less damage will be done to the bullets If the tool will give a good tight grip on the bullet, it will work...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Those inertia pullers are very frustrating to say the least. I tried mine a few times, put it back in the original packaging and hung it high on the wall. Been there for several years now. The reloading press and a pair of side cutters gets it done for me. Yes, it does leave a mark on the bullet, but that bullet eventually gets thrown into the melting pot and comes back as a brand new bullet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    Ought to work for most jacketed bullets but suspect it might deform properly seated/crimped cast boolits if closed tightly enough to get a sold grip. I say 'most jacketed' because I've occasionally encountered old milsurp that even an RCBS collet puller...dusted inside with rosin...wouldn't break loose.

Bill

If you seat the bullet a little deaper first it breaks the bond and the bullet will come out easier.
    Larry

Thanks guys for all of the comments. I believe that this may be a “non purchase” item! I’ve used the inertia type “extractor” on a few crimped, 430 grain, 45-70’s. A multitude of hard blows were required to remove a bullet.....perhaps, just shooting them is easier! memtb

Boolit Master

I have an RCBS and Frankford arsenal kinetic puller. The RCBS is the better of the 2. I have a 4x4 block of wood i strike on. It's more of a snap movement. Flick of the wrist. Once i learned that. It made a big difference on the frustration level .
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    One benefit of casting boolits is not having to worry about damaging the boolit, when pulling it by mechanically holding it. Just re cast it. I don’t think the type of puller will make a difference as far as the gas check is concerned.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I bought and tried the Hornaday puller on the press trying to remove a lead 255gr bullet. The collet totally mangled the bullet.
    The Hornaday now peacefully rests somewhere in a closet
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

The Grip-N-Pull is like a pair of pliers ... they do OK on J-Words , might leave a mark depending on how hard you grip it ... crimped military FMJ bullets can be marked .
    Cast Boolits will be mangled , left unusable and need remelting .
    They have no affect on the gas check . Inertia puller is still the best for salvaging boolits and bullets . Grip-N-Pull is fast to use , no collets required but can damage .

When pulling boolits with Inertia Puller ... seat boolit 1/8" deeper to break crimp , then pull .
    Makes a difference ...especially with military ammo .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Long ago I've used similar (if not actually the Forster) pullers that required a collet, and did not like using a separate single stage press for the die or the extra expense of (and storage for) collets.

By necessity and happenstance I acquired FOUR inertia pullers and would rather use one than other methods. I'm tempted to get a Honady LNL puller, maybe if I see one at a gun show I will, not that I have to pull MY bullets you understand!

Years ago after my local playful poltergeist took and hid my first RCBS puller I was given a batch of pristine unfired bullets at a range for free, so I bought a second RCBS puller to do the job.

Years later (a few months ago actually) a friend of a friend gave me some 600 9mm's that were Waayyy over powered with bullseye and needed to be pulled. My poltergeist returned and playfully hid my two RCBS pullers!!!

Given that I had zero 9mm brass, not one 115gr 9mm FMJ bullet, and really could have used the bullseye and primed brass so I bought a Frankford, which I did NOT like and started pulling. Somewhere after 200-300 rounds, I went into a LGS and there was a NIB Lyman bullet puller there for ten buckazoids. Two seconds in my hand with that padded handle was all it took to take it home.

I used it to pull the balance of the 9's and would only use the others if the poltergeist hid the Lyman

So, here they are in ranking:

#1 Lyman - Cast / machined beautifully. The cap spins on and off with ease and that padded handle is perfect to work with. Vibrations to the hand are minimal
    #2 RCBS - Fitment is almost as good as the Lyman, plastic handle transmits shock and vibration to the hand. Nuff said.
    #3 (and a DISTANT third at that) The Frankford has a horrible cap to body fit. It's a pain to tighten and loosen. I'd 86 it, but someday some loader will need one and I'll not part with 1 or 2

Oh, All use a standard inverted shell holder without issues. Some have said a high primer "could" detonate using a standard shell holder, but I think it's poppycock. The short answer (if you believe in urban legends like this) is don't pull high primers.

Caveat... very light bullets, those with a heavy roll crimp as well as full wad cutters are a pain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet_pullers.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	271198
    Regards,

Gary

A big Thank You to all that gave their opinions and preferences.....and why! I have a 40 or so year old Lyman, which I had used to remove the previously mentioned bullets. It worked....though it “worked” me a bit! I may get the new Lyman that gnappi highly recommended. It’s inexpensive, improved over my 40 year old model, and exhibits none to minimal damage to the cast bullets. If it doesn’t work any better than my relic.....I have a minimal investment and a spare puller! memtb
    Last edited by memtb; 11-11-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Thinking on the subject of inertia pullers, I sincerely doubt if there is more than two or three different manufacturers, so comparing the various vendor's product is of no matter. I believe there is an order put in by a vendor (Hornady, FA, MidWay, etc.) for a specific color and the same manufacturer makes the same product and just adds the vendor's name.

I tried a collet pulling die (RCBS?) but it was slower than the impact tool and difficult to grab a 429421 in my 44 Handloads. Worked OK on some surplus 30-06 w/147 j bullets, but slow...

When I use my impact, which I've owned so long I forget who I bought it from, I use a lead anvil. I often just pick up one of my muffin ingots (puck) and whack it. Much, much quieter, and my "Mystery Metal" casting alloy does not deaden the blow enough to make any difference. A foam ear plug dropped in the puller protects bullet noses too. I also use a standard shell holder instead of the aluminum collet, easier and faster. Several years ago I read using a standard shell holder was dangerous as using one would allow (?) rounds to fire. Sounded silly and not heard anything like that in quite a while...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

MDL, I had not considered using a lead ingot as an anvil, I'll try that!
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Buddy
    I have been looking at these for a while and ended up buying one on a online estate type sale for $27.50. Works good for me. Its a lot quicker than other methods, but may have problems if bullets are crimped in really strong. I have some old military rounds of different types that don't want to come out with the collet style and have to use the hammer type. For cast it would be a snap but would probably damage the bullet, which isnt a deal for me

Boolit Master
    As Gary mentioned above, the Grip n Pull will leave marks on jacketed bullets. The harder to remove, the deeper the marks. Cast bullets will have tooth marks in them and probably won't be reusable. I'd say that the chances of the GC staying on the bullet is same regardless of type of puller used. Also, if you use a Co-Ax, I'd make sure I have another press with thread in dies for the Grip n Pull.

I do have and have used a Grip n Pull FWIW. I greatly prefer a impact puller.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've never ponied up the money for an actual Grip-N-Pull tool, but I have pulled several jacketed bullets on a single stage press using a set of end nips (side cutters would work too). All you need is a shell holder. Usually no or very light mark on the jacket.

I wouldn't be worried about using the bullet in another load.

Cast is another story. If I pull a cast boolit, it gets remelted. Normally you have to dig deeper to hold the softer material. I have been lucky enough to not have to pull anything with gas checks, so I don't know how they will react to being pulled.

Robert

Boolit Master

I have the Hornady & the RCBS. NO they WILL NOT PULL MY CAST BULLETS!!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast