Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backstrap reciepe needed

Boolit Master

Backstrap reciepe needed

I've got four venison backstraps that I am going to cook, but would like some different reciepes than what I have.

Banned

i grill them all. take the whole lion and butterfly it put garlic powder and montreal steak seasoning on all sides and fold it back together. Get the grill hot and cook it a few minutes then flip it over and another couple minutes to sear the open it up and put it raw side down on the grill and cook till done. All the time your cooking brush on butter to keep it moist. Cook till its done to your liking but dont go any more then light pink because to much time and its dry and like shoe leather. Just a tinge of pink is perfect for me. Cooked right you can cut it with a fork and its as good as any steak.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 11-10-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    I'm simple, I like mine pan seared medium rare salt & pepper with butter. The Meateater has several recipes you may like.

Rolled and stuffed backstrap https://www.themeateater.com/cook/co...ffed-backstrap

Grilled: https://www.themeateater.com/cook/re...-steaks-recipe

Pan seared: https://www.themeateater.com/cook/co...ackstrap-steak

Grilled whole loin: https://www.themeateater.com/cook/re...le-loin-recipe

Garlic & herb: https://www.themeateater.com/cook/re...arinade-recipe

Italian Salsa Verde: https://www.themeateater.com/cook/re...a-verde-recipe

Grilling Tips: https://www.themeateater.com/cook/co...-grilling-tips

Moderator Emeritus

Girlfriend makes them the same as the tenderloin. Light salt (because of me) pepper, garlic, butter, and Italian seasonings in cast iron frying pan. I love ketchup on steak but don't put anything on these. Hmm getting hungry. Maybe some backstrap for dinner tonight.

Banned

for the most part my pan fried venison are cube steaks chicken fried. Hate to waste back straps in a pan when they can be grilled. Dont much cook any beef steak in a frying pan. They all get grilled too. Steak cuber that goes on my big grinder was one of the better investments. You can take any hind quarter chunk of meat and make it tender

Boolit Grand Master

Take a loin and with a long boning knife make a slot from end to end just wide enough for a link of Cajun Boudin (my personnel favorite) , Andouille sausage or your favorite sausage to be pushed into the center of the loin .
    Wrap heavily with bacon and cook on smoker,
    Boudin or Sausage on inside with bacon on the outside adds flavor and moisture while cooking .
    The smoked pork loin , boudin and bacon make a great flavor combination... sliced thin and piles on a good bread the next day ...makes an awesome sandwich .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

I am definitely getting a nice grill/smoker come the spring. Just to many projects this year and the Kirkland one I moved here with decided it was done.

Moderator Emeritus

Caramelize mushrooms and onions, set aside, dear backstrap cubes in a very hot pan(I use cast iron for this... and exhaust fan on high because if it isn't smokey it isn't hot enough!). Once all of it is seared add the reserved mushrooms and onions and any juices back to the meat and reduce heat to medium. Cook until venison is medium rare. Serve over wild rice... I deglaze the pan with some beer and reduce that and pour it over.

I do mine like nyfirefighter357, in a cast iron skillet.

Boolit Master

All great I have made a number of the recipes above.

My Christmas eve Venison loins are smoked and marinated in simple teriyaki.

Sometimes simple is best. Ya MUST cook no more then medium and med rare or rare is better.

I have never ever seen it last very long. Served with cheese and crackers I usually have 1/2 warm and 1/2 cold.

Good luck you will not choose wrong!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Caramelize mushrooms and onions, set aside, dear backstrap cubes in a very hot pan(I use cast iron for this... and exhaust fan on high because if it isn't smokey it isn't hot enough!). Once all of it is seared add the reserved mushrooms and onions and any juices back to the meat and reduce heat to medium. Cook until venison is medium rare. Serve over wild rice... I deglaze the pan with some beer and reduce that and pour it over.
    I’m seriously going to come hang out at your house at around supper time. I’ll bring a bottle of something good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

I haven't had it any way that I didn't like.
    A hot cast Iron skillet, a bump of salt & pepper, and cooked in real butter was always a favorite.

It might be my imagination, but I think wild game meat gets tougher the longer you cook it where
    domesticated critters get more tender.

So my big concern with game animals was always not to over cook it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorn97062 View Post
    I’m seriously going to come hang out at your house at around supper time. I’ll bring a bottle of something good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nope. She likes onions

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Take a loin and with a long boning knife make a slot from end to end just wide enough for a link of Cajun Boudin (my personnel favorite) , Andouille sausage or your favorite sausage to be pushed into the center of the loin .
    Wrap heavily with bacon and cook on smoker,
    Boudin or Sausage on inside with bacon on the outside adds flavor and moisture while cooking .
    The smoked pork loin , boudin and bacon make a great flavor combination... sliced thin and piles on a good bread the next day ...makes an awesome sandwich .
    Gary
    sounds worth trying!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    buddy of mine owned the local watering hole. Back when i did partake every year id bring some back straps in for a meal for us. He did something very simular but added soy sauce. Im not big on soy sauce but that was real tastey. the dozen or so beers i drank might have added to it though. Kind of deglazed myself.

Slice them into chops, dredge in butter, shake on seasoning, and throw into a REALLY HOT iron skillet. Do this outdoors. Very few kitchens have a range hood that will handle this much smoke. When the flames and smoke subside after about 30-40 seconds, season and turn for another 30. Return to the platter, and continue until you have blackened them all. Pop them into a 180 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Doneness depends on the thickness of the chop. A half-inch chop will be about medium rare. My seasoning is 3 parts paprika, and one part each red pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, cumin, and thyme.

Boolit Master
    Marinated in either teriyaki sauce, Dale seasoning, or Moore’s for a couple hours or overnight. Wrap it in applewood bacon and roast it at 375 till it’s done to your likeness. Almost forgot if you want to Bacon Crispy just before you pull it out of the oven and put it under the broiler for a couple minutes
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

MrWolf, You can`t go wrong with a pellet grill.
    I bought the Pit Boss Classic.
    It`s one of the best investments I`ve made.
    I love playing with it.
    My wife is happy as well, with me doing a lot of the cooking on the pellet grill.

Boolit Bub
    I like em just like any beef tenderloin steak. Salt and pepper, grilled to medium rare, smothered with sour cream and caramelized mushrooms and onions.

just same as chicken fried steak.... don't forget the cream gravy with the drippings. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast