RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: 45 Colt with Lyman Gould HP 457122

Boolit Buddy

45 Colt with Lyman Gould HP 457122

I'm sizing the bullets down to .454" and powdercoating them. My alloy is pure lead with about 3% tin added. Anything above 1200fps results in losing the nose of the bullet and only the base continuing it's path in my wet newspapers media. Tin Star and Trail Boss won't hardly get me over 1000fps from my 20" H&R Handi rifle. IMR 4198 pushes it too fast and so does AA1680. I'm considering A2400 next. Does 14-16gr make sense for 1200fps?

Thanks, Dinny
    Last edited by Dinny; 11-09-2020 at 11:44 PM. Reason: add more info
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    I think you're going to need a harder alloy to obtain success. Granted, it's sometimes a fine line between soft enough and too hard to obtain expansion without blowing the entire nose off of a boolit.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    For a rifle, my experiences are a mim of 5 percent tin (20:1) but 6 percent was better. (16:1). With handguns its a toss up so I stay with 20:1.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’d tell you to try 16:1 pewter and lead mix. I run it at 1600 FPS on my 77/44 with a GC and PC. It shoots sub MOA. I’ve also used the same alloy in my 35 Rem up to 2100 FPS.

Here’s a Lyman devastator recovered from a dirt back stop at 25 yards after hitting some rocks. This was at 1600 FPS out of my 77/44. It stared at 263 grains and ended up at 185 grains give it take. Still weighs more then my favorite J word...a 180 grain 30-06 core loct. Imo I want some good to violent expansion for kinetic energy transfer to put deer down quicker vs a hard boolit that zips right through like an arrow with a field point.

I’m sure it won’t open as violently and expand as much going through a soft deer versus a rocky dirt pile. So I would expect the wet newspaper test will show that this alloy holds together quite nicely at the velocities your pushing them.

I just loaded up some group buy 275 grain HPs made for the 450BM to try at 1100 FPS in my colt 45, Ruger NV along with 13.5 grains of HS-6. If you look at the 20,000 cup post I asked about it has quite a few powders listed for both 14,000 cup loads and 20,000 cup loads. I picked HS-6 because I showed the highest velocity gained at 20,000 cup which was 1100 FPS with a 7.5” barrel. It also shows around 900 FPS at 14000 cup. I’m sure it would be cooking out of your rifle at the same load with similar to a 22WMR recoil. I do have them PC and GC. Casted 50/50 COWW and pure with 2%pewter and sized at .451”. I plan on trying the same alloy and velocity with a lee 255 grain boolit.

It’s a lot harder alloy than you’re pushing but the hollow point is big and wide so I’m sure they will expand and pass through a deer at 1000 ft./s.

Here’s some of the same 260 grain Lyman devastator boolits casted out of 100 % COWW I loaded up with a minimum charge of trail boss shout out of my 2.5” barreled 329NG into 2 wood pallets at 15 yards. I found these laying next to the pallets. I’m guessing my MV was Around 400/425? Pretty wimpy load but still recoiled pretty well in my titanium revolver abs still expanded quite well imo. I would assume it takes a lot faster velocities to get COWW to fragment. You can see the one in the middle puckered up and are sone wood instead of expanding. I also lost all my GC’s from going through the pallets.

Hope some my info might help you out.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-10-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Boolit Master
    We have tried the Gould bullet in the 45. Messy bear has shot deer with them. Don’t know what alloy. We have video of a jackrabbit catching one cast with a pure lead nose��
    Recovered the bullet from snow, nose was in several pieces and separated from the base.
    We are much happier with penta hollow points

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on my load?

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
    Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on my load?

Thanks, Dinny
    Looking through my load data notes, I achieved 1230/1250/1265 FPS with 16.0/16.5/17.0 gr 2400 and that bullet in a Win94 Trapper (16" barrel). SD/ES decreased as the charge increased.

sized .455, un-coated, 8 BHN, CCI 300.

-ktw

Boolit Buddy
    ktw,
    Thank you. I don't expect to get identical results as our rifles are much different, but this does give me faith that I'm in the ballpark.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Vendor Sponsor

I am surprised you haven't yet tried 50/50+2% as it seems to be the universal alloy in 45 Colt.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded some these for Marlin cowboy 45 colt, had best luck with RL7 as i recall, will go through the notes and see what i can find. Pretty sure i had some chronograph data as well. Pretty sure alloy was 50%wheel weight and 50% pure lead water dropped.

Boolit Master
    19grains 4227 with 255gr bullet got me good accuracy at 1200fps in Rossi 92, decided to make anything more powerful in a 44 magnum
    straight clip on wheel weights with a bit of tin added is pretty much all I ever use

I use same boolit in Colt NS 455 Eley. Mold is modified to 272gr by removing some base and increasing the HP, dia & depth. Pouring 20:1 , sized .457”. I’m only shooting 4.5gr Unique at approx 600fps. Very good shooting load. Arrived at 4.5gr to print sights. I was going to run some of these boolits through 454” and load up for try in 25-5 S&W at about 8.5gr Unique.