Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Ross help?

Ross help?

I’m into a deal containing Canadian military Ross rifle. Very nice shape. Bad news it’s in a “bag” , barreled action and stock separated. Bolt ect apart in bag. No major parts missing. I have 0 experience with Ross. Have no interest at all in it. I just about have to take it on a deal with multiple guns. What can I allow for quick sale, just to break even on it?

Boolit Master
    D, The Ross was a good accurate rifle but what stopped its further production was the bolt could be put together 2 ways and the improper way resulted in a bolt through a soldiers head. If it was a complete assembled rifle in original configuration the last one I saw was around 695.00. But if you have to deal with humpty dumpty you might want to pass unless you really want the rest of the collection.

If it's a 280 Ross you will have trouble finding a way to shoot it, I had one and was extremely hard to locate components for reloading affordably. It's one of a very few projects that I "Uncle'd" on. YMMV
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    OP says its military ,therefore its 303....could be a MkII or a MkIII.....no two rifles ever more different.....Nevertheless ,with good original examples of either selling for up to $2000,well worth putting it back together......Incidentally,the MkII (1905) type cannot be assembled incorrectly,only the MkIII can ...this is multi lug action.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    A basket case like that sold locally here at a yard sale this fall for $120.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    A basket case like that sold locally here at a yard sale this fall for $120.
    My baby brother is obsessed with Ross rifles and keeps trying to talk me into buying one, using the sneaky tactic of telling me a good Ross will almost certainly be more accurate than my Long Branch No. 4 Mk 1 for heritage Service Rifle matches. Probably wants revenge after luring him down the rabbit hole of wanting a No. 4 Mk 1 sniper rifle, complete with box.

My counter argument to following him down the Ross rabbit hole is pointing out the price that a good Ross costs now, versus what you could get them for in the 1980's and 1990's. It is rare to find a Ross these days that hasn't been bubba'd. There's an active restoration movement on old military Ross's out there.

They are a really fun rifle to shoot. The Ross possibly holds the record for the most disinformation and "everybody knows that..." regarding any rifle. Not to mention being a victim of government bureaucracy and in-fighting during a time of war.

And some pretty knowledgeable people, including my baby brother, to help with Ross Rifles, civilian and military pattern both, at the Milsurps forum:

https://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=134

Boolit Grand Master

After obtaining a "sporterized" Ross some years back the only thing I could find was a small pamphlet. PM me your email and I'll send the 3 pages that may help you a bit (PDF files) .

Attachment 271226

I would think some of our Canadian members would have the manual(s) for the Ross?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Don't spend normal price for a basket case gun. It will cost you more in the long run IMHO

In my shop I would pay 25% of lowest book for a basket case as I figured it is parts and parts take time to sell.

Boolit Master
    Numrich /GPC used to have a fair range of parts for both MkII and MkIII,lots of new stuff for MkIII actions......As to instruction books,the Canadian Military manuals for both Marks are online for download.............and again,the MkII (1905) cannot be assembled wrong and have the bolt come out......Only the MkIII........those guns used by the home guard in WW2 ,generally had a brass rivet in the bolt body ,to guard against this.....this mod was invented in 1927,so wasnt used in WW1.

Banned

What else is included in the trade?

Boolit Master
    Did you note a recent sale of Rosses in Canada ,prices up to C$9000 for mint Mk IIIs.,cheapest over C$2000.

I think I’ll allow $50 for it, no more than $100 and just dump it for same. The nice wood ought to bring that. Lot has 5 pre War 22 rifles, nothing great but nice shape, a Hopkins and Allen SxS hammer 12g, steel. Bay State 410, H&R break top 32 and the Ross which I think is a 280. Guy fishing for a grand going to offer $800.

Boolit Master
    I purchased a bag-o-rifle last year in Alberta for $95. It was a milsurp in 280 Ross. Headache to put together (yep, did a string pull for first 10 rounds). It currently resides with a cousin in NWT. He claims it's a great shooter and has been offered several thousand Canadian pesos. I'm assuming that one was a trial rifle after reading the history.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A milsurp appearing Ross in 280 is very likely to be a "Military Target Model",of the type that won big at Bisley pre WW1........Consequently,in light of recent sales,may be worth as much as $10k+.