RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle accuracy problem

Boolit Mold

Rifle accuracy problem

Hi guys,

I have a Howa 308 and I have been having problems with it from day one.

Problems found an fixed
    1) loose action screws
    2) barrel was touching stock (used a dremmel to make the channel larger)
    3) bedded the action and put epoxy in forearm to stiffen
    4) lined up the scope rings

Now it started grouping better, but if I shoot a 3 shot group, leave it for a few minutes and shoot again the POI would shift a bit.

In the picture the different colours represent the four three shot “strings” I shot.

I was testing loads and shot one shot of each load in each string. I just used my computer to put the three groups together to show how the strings moved.

Any idea of what can cause this?

Howa 308 heavy 20” barrel
    Standard Hogue stock bedded and forearm strengthened
    Silencer
    150gr hornady interbond bullets
    S&B brass
    CCI 200 primers
    Sonchem (local SA powder) 42.8gr, 43gr and 43.2 gr
    70.25 OAL
    Hawke Endurance 6-24x50

Illustration of strings

String 1 Blue
    String 2 green
    String 3 yellow
    String 4 red

Shot with a dirty barrel after 8 rounds to sight rifle
    3-5 min between strings, 1 min between shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try shooting five shot groups. The American Rifleman procedure is a good one; five five-shot groups. Consider the average of the five groups to be the accuracy of the rifle/ammo combination.

Assuming your target was at 100 yards, and those are one-inch squares, I would say you have a solid two-inch rifle (maybe better). That is a good hunting rifle, and should reliably make 300 yard shots.

Maybe not the case here, but a known accuracy issue with glass-bedded actions like the Howa is derived from not laying down a layer of masking tape as a spacer prior to bedding the rifle. (after taping, I apply wax as a release agent, just like the rest of the bedded metal)

The front, bottom & both sides of the recoil lug gets taped, which gives clearance after the bedding is cured and the tape removed.

( the rear surface of the rear tang likewise needs some clearance.)

Last edited by pietro; 11-10-2020 at 07:54 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I do like pietro said, works well

Banned

Your parallax is not adjusted right on your scope.

Boolit Master
    The fact that you had to fill the stock with epoxy to stiffen it, is a big red flag. Above all, with plastic stocks, place forearm on the rest at the same place each and every time, and use consistent pressure. You may find if you use your off hand between the forearm and rest, that will give you most consistency.
    I wouldn't be messing with the scope during load development, it's close enough where it's at for load development. The point you're at now, I'd shoot a 5 shot group of each blue and yellow dots and then a 10 shot group ( or two 5 shot) of the best of those 2. There are a lot of other variables to play with also if you're so inclined. Once you find your load, fine tune the scope for where you want poa/poi. Once you have your load and poi where you want it, then determine if you really have a roaming poi.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Maybe not the case here, but a known accuracy issue with glass-bedded Mauser 98 based actions like the Howa is derived from not laying down a layer of masking tape as a spacer prior to bedding the rifle. (after taping, I apply wax as a release agent, just like the rest of the bedded metal)

The front, bottom & both sides of the recoil lug gets taped, which gives clearance after the bedding is cured and the tape removed.

( the rear surface of the rear tang likewise needs some clearance.)

Hi Pietro,

I did it like that

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Your parallax is not adjusted right on your scope.
    Hi Tommy Boy,

I set the parallax by first adjusting the rear adjustment by looking through the scope into the blue skye and adjusted it until the crosshair was at it brightest. I marked it and did not adjust it again. Then at the range I adjusted the parallax knob until the target was bright.

Is this the right way?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 375RUGER View Post
    The fact that you had to fill the stock with epoxy to stiffen it, is a big red flag. Above all, with plastic stocks, place forearm on the rest at the same place each and every time, and use consistent pressure. You may find if you use your off hand between the forearm and rest, that will give you most consistency.
    I wouldn't be messing with the scope during load development, it's close enough where it's at for load development. The point you're at now, I'd shoot a 5 shot group of each blue and yellow dots and then a 10 shot group ( or two 5 shot) of the best of those 2. There are a lot of other variables to play with also if you're so inclined. Once you find your load, fine tune the scope for where you want poa/poi. Once you have your load and poi where you want it, then determine if you really have a roaming poi.
    Hi 375,

The hogue stocks have a lot of flex, hence the stiffening of the stock. I shot of a steel rest. Might be that it moved a little between strings. Would a bipod and rear bag give more consistent results?

The rifle was quite far out after the bedding job and straightening the rings. So I got it to where it is now and I did not adjust again when I started shooting the loads.

I will shoot a five shot group and check if it roams again.

Boolit Mold

Here is the actual target I shot. From left to right it’s 42.8, 43 and 43.2. 43 is my calibrated load according to quick load. I shot alternating shots on each target to make sure the barrel temperature is the same for each shot of each load. So 42.8 was the first shot of every string, 43 the second shot and 43.2 the last.

I just placed the together of the previous image to see how the strings grouped and to see if it really drifted.

If I discount the last shot on 43 as a flyer it is probably not the worst group I ever shot.

Should perhaps load 5 of the 43 and shoot them in one string and see what happens.

The lowest ES on the loads was 42.8 at 32fps and 43 gave an ES of 42fps

Boolit Master
    I have an older Savage 110FP heavy barrel in 308.And the stock is \was rynite aka plastic stock. That rifle drove me nuts. Stock flexed so much that the front action screw would loosen up. Tightening it up would last maybe one range session. Plus the plastic under the screw head got all chewed up from constant tightening. The stock under the front receiver ring was divided up into 4 boxes as part of the molding process. I literally packed those boxes with acra glass gel. Waited a week then did the finish work. Area under the front screw ended up getting a pillar bedded and that stopped all the movement. Kinda did the last part backwards, but it worked. Had some special ball Military LR with the 175 Sierra match King. Ten rounds 3/4" group. Going to see what a good wood Boyds stock will set me back. Have about 1100 rounds down the tube. You mentioned about tightening the rings. Whose are they and what exactly did you do?. I've never got the accuracy out of a 308/7.62 nato I felt I should get. I've 3 308's.
    Rem 700 Sendero
    Savage 110FP
    Rem 40x 7.62 Nato as that is what's stamped on the barrel. Frank

Boolit Mold
    Hi Samari,

I have Thor dovetail rings and bases. The more I think about it the more I realize I might have over tightened the rings. Don’t have a torque wrench as they are crazy expensive in SA. Could over tightening or miss aligned rings torque the scope to the extent that it drifts?

Planning on properly aligning and lapping the rings. Wil try to borrow a torque wrench for the job.

The other thing that bothers me is the rings aren’t vertically aligned (assume it’s the holes in the action that don’t line up) when I put a spirit level on the rear ring’s bottom half and level the gun the front ring is not level. I assume this could put strain on the scope. I hope that lapping will limit this strain.

The quickest way to get better accuracy is change bullets. Sometimes.

The powder weight should have a larger spread, like 1/2 gr. Balance beam scales are only accurate to +/- 1/10 grain.

Changing col may make a bigger difference then 2/10 of powder.

Boolit Bub
    2 thoughts:
    #1 I built stocks (Fiberglass Composite) for 30 years and always had people coming to me with problems w/ Hogue stocks, injection molded stocks in general, as they all flex way to much to find consistent accuracy. Hunting accuracy ok, target never, after all what do you expect from a stock that costs $12 to make and was/is way over hyped by writers.
    #2 did you check the twist of the barrel and match a bullet to the twist? and, how far are you seating the bullet off lands?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt44-40 View Post

The other thing that bothers me is the rings aren’t vertically aligned (assume it’s the holes in the action that don’t line up) when I put a spirit level on the rear ring’s bottom half and level the gun the front ring is not level.

I assume this could put strain on the scope.

I hope that lapping will limit this strain.

Lapping will not help a gross mis-alignment.

Diagnosis involves considering many possible issues.

1) Check the bases with the scope/rings removed from the gun via placing a straightedge first atop, and then along the sides, of the mount bases - That should tell the a part of the alignment tale.

2) Some scope rings sets are sold with different thickness' of the bottom of the rings, to achieve the various different heights desired.

If the rings on your rifle don't have equal thickness', your ring set might have mixed height rings.

3) Borrowing/switching to a known reliable scope may show a deficiency in your scope.

4) When targeting the rifle, the rifle will move during firing if any portion of the rifle's metal or stock touches the benchtop, or a hard front rest.

5) Remove the silencer to determine if it's effecting accuracy or not.

6) Sometimes, though, a rifle's barrel just isn't accurate, no matter what's done with it.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by RC46 View Post
    2 thoughts:
    #1 I built stocks (Fiberglass Composite) for 30 years and always had people coming to me with problems w/ Hogue stocks, injection molded stocks in general, as they all flex way to much to find consistent accuracy. Hunting accuracy ok, target never, after all what do you expect from a stock that costs $12 to make and was/is way over hyped by writers.
    #2 did you check the twist of the barrel and match a bullet to the twist? and, how far are you seating the bullet off lands?
    Hi RC 46,

I am contemplating buying a different stock, but finances is a bit tight at the moment.

I have a 1 in 10 twist, which should work better with heavier bullets. When I got the rifle I tested 180gr soft points, 150gr monos and 150gr soft points and the 150gr soft points gave the best results. But that’s before I did all the work. Can the wrong bullet weight cause the drifting between groups? I originally discarded that possibility because the groups on their own were good and just drifting.

I am very far from the lands. If I load close to the lands I do not have enough seating depth on the bullet.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    The quickest way to get better accuracy is change bullets. Sometimes.

The powder weight should have a larger spread, like 1/2 gr. Balance beam scales are only accurate to +/- 1/10 grain.

Changing col may make a bigger difference then 2/10 of powder.
    Hi 243,

I used small increments to calibrate the node according to quickload. COL adjustment would have been the next step of I did not run into the drifting problem.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Lapping will not help a gross mis-alignment.

Diagnosis involves considering many possible issues.

1) Check the bases with the scope/rings removed from the gun via placing a straightedge first atop, and then along the sides, of the mount bases - That should tell the a part of the alignment tale.

2) Some scope rings sets are sold with different thickness' of the bottom of the rings, to achieve the various different heights desired.

If the rings on your rifle don't have equal thickness', your ring set might have mixed height rings.

3) Borrowing/switching to a known reliable scope may show a deficiency in your scope.

4) When targeting the rifle, the rifle will move during firing if any portion of the rifle's metal or stock touches the benchtop, or a hard front rest.

5) Remove the silencer to determine if it's effecting accuracy or not.

6) Sometimes, though, a rifle's barrel just isn't accurate, no matter what's done with it.

Thanks Pietro,

Will check the alignment. I got some alignment bars as well that you get in the lapping kit to check it with as well.

The shooting rest has some soft tape on the rifle rests. Will a bipod with a rear bag perhaps give better results?

Will try without the silencer and see if it makes a difference

Boolit Master
    Your drifting seems to be mostly horizontal. Do you shoot over wind flags? The gun might be fine you are just not correcting for wind drift.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Your drifting seems to be mostly horizontal. Do you shoot over wind flags? The gun might be fine you are just not correcting for wind drift.

Tim
    Did not check the flags. Wind was pretty calm. But your right it might have been a factor. Would mild to moderate wind make a 2 inch difference at 100m?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast