RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY RSO killed during USPCA event

Boolit Master

NY RSO killed during USPCA event

Any of you NY guys have details ? Not a good thing !

Boolit Master

No , not in NY but I hadn’t heard this-terrible news for the RSO and his family and assuming this is an accident the guy whom caused it.

That is horrible ! I am surprised our egotistical gun hating Governor hasn’t chimed in yet.

Boolit Grand Master

The comments only hint that the gun was dropped while holstering, and discharged. I have no idea if it is true. It is a very unfortunate incident, police determined it an accidental discharge, not intentional.

Boolit Master
    I'm assuming you meant a USPSA event?

I'm a RSO & run USPSA matches at my range.
    Tragic.
    Awaiting more details.

Boolit Master
    That is the biggest fear for a club that hosts matches. A serious injury or death could easily be the end of the club with lawyers getting involved.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Moderator Emeritus

Was trap shooting at an ATA event in South Jersey when someone - behind the line of shooters - decided to play with his shotgun. Took a nice piece out of the base of a wooden post. That will make your heart skip a beat. He was promptly evicted to never return. You just never know. Be safe folks.

Boolit Master

At a private club a few years ago I actually called the police because of the insanity in witnessed, old guy took his grandkids to the range- cool! Except no hearing protection no eye protection and he started them - I’d guess boys 9-11 or so on full house 44 loads and yelled at them for not hitting the target and then he breakers out his AR and as the first boy was shooting actually putting rounds down range the old idiot steps over the line of fire and try’s to deploy the flip up sights and the kid who didn’t know what to do just dropped the rifle.
    When I told them all to stop and step back and asked the old guy for his range card ID he went into a rage, I took a picture of his license plate called the police and range President and got the hell out of there- no one got hurt just by a miracle and he was booted permanently from the club. Terrifying

Boolit Master

I was shooting a steel challenge match when there was a novice on the line. When he drew he literally dropped his pistol & all of us behind the line went diving to the ground or behind a post (that’s what I did.) It’s something that you never forget as I’m always vigilant now when I’m at a match & the RO says “ shooter is ready, stand by!

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master

My heart goes out to the RO and his family as well as all involved and present.

There were only two of us at the range and we agreed to call it cold. While I was changing targets I heard the unmistakable sound of the other guy's bolt racking. He told me he was just making sure the AR-15 was clear, while I was down range. While I was discussing the meaning of a cold range with him I saw something on his belt. It was his badge. HE WAS A POLICE OFFICER! Then I really chewed on him.

One day I asked some shooting friends at a USPSA match if I was the only one that had concerns about shooting myself while drawing my gun. Every one of them said they shared the same concern.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Devoid of details from the incident, accidental discharge can only happen while shooter is engaged in a USPSA course of fire or unauthorized handling of a loaded firearm outside of it. If its the latter, that may be a negligent discharge with legal repercussions, if the former, fundamental safety protocols must've been breached. In an indoor range, ricochet is a possibility depending on backstop & sidewall compositions.
    My heart goes out to a fellow RSO's family...
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master

Unfortunate and unfortunately there are people out there who are a menace. Safety first and above all at the range.

with all these great examples of poor handling of firearms, do those that have witnessed these dangerous activities believe that these people should still be able to possess , carry and / or visit our ranges. I'm just curious what people have for an opinion.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    with all these great examples of poor handling of firearms, do those that have witnessed these dangerous activities believe that these people should still be able to possess , carry and / or visit our ranges. I'm just curious what people have for an opinion.
    We don't even truly know what happened yet. Accidents in the shooting competitions are so insanely rare it is hardly worth worrying over. They are about the safest sport competitions there are.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    There is no way to guarantee it will not happen anywhere. We can train, teach, inform, and share experiences to further educate. Realize the number of gun owners is increasing and partially due to the Chinese flu, a lot of them were not able to get training. There is a chance for increased incidents but there is also a chance you will get hit by lightning. Depends on how you look at life.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Since it was a competition shoot I seriously doubt anyone involved is a neophyte. That being said, familiarity breeds contempt, and I've seen just as many safety violations from avid shooters as new shooter simply because they're very comfortable with their firearms. I like to call it casual stupidity.

I have no idea whatsoever how a RSO (which I am) found himself a shooting victim nor do I wish to speculate.

There's an ongoing criminal investigation. One of the sales guys in my company shoots there regularly and was likely in the competition. I haven't spoken with him yet. I know we have a couple members that shoot at the Genesee conservation league. Zombie Woof springs to mind. I'm not a member there, it's not a convenient drive for me, but I've shot there any number of times and several friends are members.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    There have been ricochet shots from plates that have caused serious injury. Not to say there aren't careless or arrogant shooters. I worry more about some of the old soaks in our regional league than the juniors.

Saw a riccochet on a trap field even. Kid in a lawn chair on the 27 yd line. Man shoots target, target breaks, split second later kid goes down with a single pellet in his cheek.

I have been a certified RSO for years.

And I have had two AD go off on me.

One while I was in front of the firing line giving a safety briefing.

Black powder shoot guy out of the blue walks up in the middle of the safety verifying to pop a cap. And kaboom.

Yes it was poniten at the ground a foot away from him.

But I was pissed. Not just at the guy but the others around him.

2nd offense

I was chatting with a guy who was showing off his 22 on the firing libe and pulled the trigger it went off even though he swore it was unloaded.

it was pointed down range so no injuries

Rule 1 the gun is always loaded.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast