Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dumb Primer Question

Boolit Buddy

I had a 30 3o at one time but sold to a young guy who was just starting out and now I am sorry to say I am limited to nothing more than a 243 because of a titanium shoulder, if i screw it up one more time i dont have the use of it. I have cheated a bit with the 6.5 grendel but it has a compensator on it to tame it down a bit.
    We were brothers then, we are brothers now, we are brothers forever. Currahee

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Having a bunch of primed 30-30 brass sounds like a good excuse to buy a 30-30 lever gun...
    I was thinking it!! Glad you said it!

Boolit Master

Back to the thread. Yes, I've done thousands of recycled primers with no primer popping. In fact, I was in high school when the M60 MG came along. I'd get loads of blanks and it was fairly easy to nip the long blank nose off and decap the case as the originals had unstaked primers. These were reinstalled in .30/06 cases and kept my M1903 fed for a couple of years using a Lyman Ammunition Loader kit and a can of Unique. /beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Who loses a thousand rounds of ammo? Unless they were high end Hornady or S&B, they were almost surely Berdan primed.
    Our gun club used to be pretty laid back. Members would open the gate and the last person leaving would lock it back up. If it wasn't a busy day anyone could drive in and shoot without being questioned. It's not run that way anymore. Anyway, I was using the pistol range while a guy and his 2 younger sons (10-ish) were at the rifle range with multiple rifles. The gate had been opened by early skeet shooters. The guy eventually left the rifle range and a while later I went over to shoot. There was a full mil surplus ammo can sitting under the bench. I assume the distraction of his sons and them helping him pack up was why the can got left behind. I put the ammo in my truck, shot for a while, then went up to the clubhouse, put a note on the bulletin board, locked the gate and went home. For a year I made sure the note was there but never got a call or email. I also contacted the secretary of the club a couple times and had an email go out with my contact info. I assume the guy who lost the ammo was not a member of the club so he didn't have access to the clubhouse and wasn't on the email list. And it would be more than a little bold to come around saying he wasn't a member but left his ammo can when he was trespassing.

Definitely not top shelf ammo so Berdan probably. Now I wonder why I didn't keep the ammo can.

Boolit Master
    At the going rate on Gunbroker of 15¢ or more per cap (plus shipping) I don't blame the OP for asking.

I've done it too, loading them only into plinking rounds, and being gentle on punching them out. This was mainly on damaged cases or on brands of brass I find problematic. So far no mishaps and no failures to fire.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    This is is ideal. However, I recommend removing the de-cap assembly and then resizing the case, then proceding with the subsequent reloading steps. The process of expanding, seating, crimping and pulling bullets will leave a neck with less neck tension. That should be reset back to square one.
    Exactly what I do. If planning to reuse case why remove and reinstall primer.
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12