Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: doesnt anyone shoot 45acps anymore

Banned

doesnt anyone shoot 45acps anymore

use to be there was always lost of once fired brass for sale on the net. Now i rarely see it.

Boolit Buddy
    Seems like the last year bulk brass sales have been slim, at least at good prices.
    The local indoor range around me sells brass to capitol cartridges.
    Remanufactures are gobbling it up right now most likely.

Boolit Buddy
    Funny this was brought up. A friend was just at a LGS/range and said all their handgun ammo was sold out except 45acp. Said those shelves were full. Makes me wish I had a 1911...

In todays setting, I tend not to shoot much to conserve as much as possible. Losing a small percentage to grass/gravel adds up after awhile. With the uncertainty of the future, shortages and such, I'm just playing squirrel with my acorns. Might be a long winter...

Super Moderator

Please don't make offers to sell brass on this thread! Use the PM function, or list it in S&S.

Moderator Emeritus

My local police dept sure shoots a lot of 45 acp. I try to go to our Club's range that day after the local police have their Qual shoots. I usually get a grocery bag of 45acp, and another grocery bag of 223/556. It happens twice a year, but they like to do this in the wintertime, when snow covers our range...so then I have to wait for Spring, and try to be the first one there when it melts.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    45ACP is my most UN-favorite hand gun to shoot! Worst investment I ever made. I have difficulty getting rounds to chamber and eject. Have tried shortening & messing with everything. I was hoping I could find one of those moon clips Rossi made for their long guns that shoot 45LC. W could easily shoot ACP's in those! They discontinued them. I may have to hog one on the mill if I could get some dims.

I can only shot commercial rounds in mine. Fortunate a bought a 1K ammo box of FMJ's a couple years ago at a LGS! Remember those? Used to be lots of fun.

I believe the ACP is falling out of favor. It sure did with me!

banger

Super Moderator

45 ACP happens to be one of my all time favorites, to each his own I guess. I have zero problems getting rounds to chamber and eject. I shoot a ton of them, both in autos and revolvers. It's one of the most forgiving rounds to load for.

Boolit Master
    I own a combat commander, a 1911, a Tommy gun and a G21 1st gen.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    45ACP is my most UN-favorite hand gun to shoot! Worst investment I ever made. I have difficulty getting rounds to chamber and eject. Have tried shortening & messing with everything. I was hoping I could find one of those moon clips Rossi made for their long guns that shoot 45LC. W could easily shoot ACP's in those! They discontinued them. I may have to hog one on the mill if I could get some dims.

I can only shot commercial rounds in mine. Fortunate a bought a 1K ammo box of FMJ's a couple years ago at a LGS! Remember those? Used to be lots of fun.

I believe the ACP is falling out of favor. It sure did with me!

banger
    I'm totally with ShooterAZ on this, Jim. I'm thinking that something is wrong with your dies or loading technique. The .45 ACP is quite easy to load. You've got me a little confused though when you mention half moon clips. Most of us are shooting the semi-auto 1911 pistol, and the half moon clips only have application to a revolver. Is your Rossi a revolver that uses half moon clips? It's not always necessary to use them if your cylinder's chambers have a shoulder in them for the cartridge case's mouth to rest against and to prevent it from sinking deeper into the cylinder where the firing pin can't reach, but the clips do work for easy loading and fast ejecting. No clips? You can always punch them out with a pencil. I've never heard of a moon clip associated with a long gun, but I learn new stuff everyday. The .45 L.C. wouldn't need a moon clip because it has a rim which accomplishes the same thing as the clip, and if your revolver is chambered for .45 ACP you can always use .45 Auto Rim cases. If your reloaded rounds won't chamber, I'd try a different set of dies and a Lee Factory Crimp Die. As for the .45 ACP falling out of favor, maybe a bit since the popularity of the 9mm Luger round which has less recoil and is less expensive, but there are still lots of us old diehards out here using the 1911 and 1917 revolvers. Good luck with getting your ACP problems straightened out.

Boolit Buddy
    A LOT depends on the gun,,
    the neighbor across the street could only shoot store bought ball ammo,,

This was back in the late 1980's,,

The gun was some Brazil made 1911 look alike, to my eyes, the loading ramp looked different than a normal 1911,,
    I offered to work on it for him,, I was taking a gunsmithing class,, he decided to just sell it,,,

Moderator Emeritus

I have a recent production S&W 625-JM with tight chambers in the cylinder (not tight throats, the throats were fine), I had a heck of a time loading moon clips into the cylinder, they should just fall in, but my usual 45 ammo would NOT. After trying a few things, including sizing boolits to .4515 instead of .4520, also using only R+P brass which seems to have thinner walls, and finally a Taper crimp in a separate step...I had success, reliable loading of ammo filled Moon clips.

Now, I've had other 625 guns, never seen this before. If I were to ever start shooting this 625-JM a lot, I'd have the cylinder chambers honed out...they just gotta be under spec???
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Buddy
    Oh, yea, as far as brass, I was just on that "5.56" discussing site,, members had literally buckets of 45ACP for sale,,

Boolit Master

I love my Springfield 1911, Kimber 1911, and 1937 Brazilian contract .45acp revolver. Not so much the three Glock .45's the sons bought for me. I am not shooting as much .45 ACP because I am shooting a lot of rifles; and the .38's are the wife's choice/plus I can get almost 2 for one in amount of lead used between .45ACP and .38's.

Now as for the range; seems that 9mm's; 40's and 10MM pickups are about 4 times as much (total aggregate of all them) compared to .45 ACP's. I suspect that is because most people are recoil shy - never having learned proper shooting technique. This coupled with too many Grade B/C movies where the characters spray and pray thousands of rounds every 5 minutes.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I have a recent production S&W 625-JM with tight chambers in the cylinder (not tight throats, the throats were fine), I had a heck of a time loading moon clips into the cylinder, they should just fall in, but my usual 45 ammo would NOT. After trying a few things, including sizing boolits to .4515 instead of .4520, also using only R+P brass which seems to have thinner walls, and finally a Taper crimp in a separate step...I had success, reliable loading of ammo filled Moon clips.

Now, I've had other 625 guns, never seen this before. If I were to ever start shooting this 625-JM a lot, I'd have the cylinder chambers honed out...they just gotta be under spec???
    I'm guessing they might be under spec Jon. I have three 625's, and on all of them the moon clips drop right in. For these I like the RCBS 45-230-RN, cast from Isotope Cores. Feeds and ejects like a champ, very accurate with my pet loads.

Boolit Master

Wow, love .45 ACP, best target pistol ever. Been loading them since 70’s, use Keith style 201 grn. semi wad cutter with Taper crimp seating die( RCBS) zero issues. Might go shooting next week as have enough to splurge once a month, lol. All depends on ones training and experience.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

The world is moving over to 9mm & .40S&W.
    .38Spec., .357Mag. as well as .45ACP is drying up.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

I'm just guessing that the taper crimp is what solved your problem. Maybe the mouth edges of the cases were catching on the mouth edges of the cylinder chambers. You might chamfer the cylinder edges just a small amount.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I'm just guessing that the taper crimp is what solved your problem. Maybe the mouth edges of the cases were catching on the mouth edges of the cylinder chambers. You might chamfer the cylinder edges just a small amount.
    I thought about chamfering the cylinder edges, but figured I'd work on the ammo first. Because it was likely one of the problems, because sometimes I would have to wiggle and wiggle to get them started. But sometimes a Moon clip full of ammo would be "sticky", but still go in all the way, and then sometimes it'd go in "sticky" and then get stuck the last 1/4" and would have to be removed, Cuz it wasn't gonna go in all the way.

With my new technique and recipe, they drop in like they should. I'm good, until I start shooting a lot of ammo.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master

I have never had any trouble shooting reloads in my 45s. Easier to load than 9mm with cast.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast