Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barrel Seasoning

I clean at the range after the last shot fired. When I get home I clean it again till the patch comes out as white as it went in and leave it in the cleaning rack over night and run a tight patch through again the next morning and recoil and put it away if I don't go out to shoot again.
    I always have and always will do this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    I clean at the range after the last shot fired. When I get home I clean it again till the patch comes out as white as it went in and leave it in the cleaning rack over night and run a tight patch through again the next morning and re-oil and put it away if I don't go out to shoot again.
    I always have and always will do this.
    A most diligent and righteous process, sir. It becomes second nature and it insures firearm longevity ... and peace of mind.

I have used the bore butter for years with good luck. I think a rendered fat would work just as well or better. I have left my barrel for a good while fouled with no ill effects(Forgot to clean it!!). I just clean it in a bucket of water using a patch as a plunger cleans out in seconds. Apply some more butter and shes clean for another year.

Seasoning! That was one of the best "snake Oil" gimmicks to sell bore butter. If the barrels were cast iron you could season them.
    I used to get a lot of rust when I let rifles sit in the pile. Stopped using it! Buy some ballistol!
    Nit Wit

When I started shooting muzzle loaders 35 or so years ago I used what was available, Pyrodex and CVA grease as lube. Possibly the worst two things in the world!
    So when bore butter came out it was like a godsend. I still use it as a patch/bullet lube. That and Rooster Labs patch lube. (if they still make it, I have no idea)

I only use real BP now, so much better than everything else IMO. I clean my muzzle loaders and BPCR with Windex with vinegar. So much less mess and fuss than the old ways I did things. Lube with ballistol, lock, stock and barrel.

(If I'm putting something away long term I may coat the bore with bore butter or frog lube, kinda the same thing)
    Former cylindersmith.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123