Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: New to using a 'PEEP & GLOBE' at 50 yards...

Yeah...that's how I see it too, just looking for the average of my work...trying to get down to the 1/2" part of the rule before I get impressed with myself...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

That would certainly impress me. I would be delighted with 1/2 inch groups from my match rifle with match ammo at 50 yards and I am using a scope.

Boolit Buddy
    Your not far out with your measurements
    7/8th" = .875

1" 7/16th = .1.437

hahaaa...I'm glad to see that!

I sure don't want anyone thing I'm fudging the numbers!
    I mean . . . "how good can a guy make something 'bad' look?"

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    That would certainly impress me. I would be delighted with 1/2 inch groups from my match rifle with match ammo at 50 yards and I am using a scope.
    Could be possible tazman (in my wildest dreams!) when and if I can get that good stuff...

A friend on another forum sent me the following article and I found it interesting and worth following, so I share it here...

The High-BC .22 LR Bullet: Are We There Yet?
    https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2021/...-we-there-yet/

In that article is a link to another...one that got me interested...

Reloading .22 Long Rifle—a new option for competitors
    https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/...or-competitors

This may be old information for some but it's new to me the 'Neophyte' in this game.

Thanks for the tip about Sharpshooter! I've been making the obsolete .25 Stevens rimfire ammo out of .17 WSM. Forming the cases is a very tedious operation, and it will be to great advantage to be able to re-prime and reload them! Already ordered the primer kit.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Yeah...that's how I see it too, just looking for the average of my work...trying to get down to the 1/2" part of the rule before I get impressed with myself...
    After witnessing what happened in our Nation's Capitol yesterday...I WAS HOT TO TROT!

I figured I needed some trigger time...about the only activity I have here in retirement that allows me to throw off the worries of the world and relax & blow off some steam, just concentrate on something and for a brief couple hours have peace between my ears.
    So...here's the results. The exercise was concentrating on sight picture in that front globe, with this Fed. Prem. HV Match ammo I had no expectations of impressing myself other than sending the round when my eye had the proper alignment (boys...that's a tough job retraining a 70 year old!)

It is curious to me how the first 5 shots generally work themselves up from 6:00, way out & off the 4" spot and slowly rise and dive towards center of spot. That happened yesterday when you see the warmer spot to the left. The 2'nd 5 shots started hammering in the center and led me to think I was going to have a good day grouping. But that didn't happen, you see how it spread out again starting with the middle spot and right.
    Oh well....I remind myself, I'm working on sight picture and release!

So, I walk up to the backstop & retrieve the target and go into the shop to measure & repair the target for the next set.

There's generally at least 30 minutes between sets so the barrel no doubt cools to ambient air temp. & it always spreads out on that first spot and generally comes back in after 5 shots, today I was shooting 10 warmers just to get a little more trigger time before moving to the 2'nd & 3'rd spots where it counts, where I am concerned with groupings.
    Well...seeing that last group, I was ecstatic! Bingo...finally a 1/2" group & using that awful ammo...I pack up the gear, retrieve the target, go sit in the shop and crack a cold one and begin to get reall proud of myself....but then it dawned on me what just happened!

Hahaaa...this is only a random tight group, suddenly it dawned on me that...if you shoot enough bad ammo eventually you'll come across 5 rounds in a row that were loaded pretty close to each other! Can't help but laugh...I think this is when it starting raining on my parade heheee.

Is that maniacal laughter at the end of your last post?

I'm not sure what you could call it taz...

A combination of exhilaration and sadness in the reality of what it really was...an enigma.
    But I'm hanging in there, having hopes of really making an honest tight group soon, today I should find out what that outfit in Tejas is going to do about selling me some good ammo.

heheheheheeeeeee

Banned
    I just ordered 2000 rounds of good and so-so from Champions Choice. Now I am finding out why people say the things they do about Wolf Match. My CZ don't like it at all.

Ken

Forgot to post this...Bad & Good News

I've gotten caught in their phone tree (https://www.killoughshootingsports.c...ley-ammunition) a couple times now & disconnected after waiting 15 minutes, got through this am and they will sell to us behind enemy lines >GOOD news.
    The BAD news is that they are holding at this point taking anymore orders as they need to inventory what is left there, nice fellow Texican on the phone, always good to talk with a Texican.
    More GOOD news is that they have an order coming in scheduled middle to end of February then the shelves will fatten up some.

One GOOD thing about being 'old' is us old'fat'guys have some patience, besides our weather is starting to stink now so maybe it'll be some better then too.

Thanks again tazman for the link.

There are undoubtedly other places to order match ammo from on the net. Just none that have any available at this time that I am aware of.
    Someone else may be able to give you info on this.

Boolit Grand Master
    I normally purchase from Target Sports. They showed match .22’s in stock about a month ago but are out currently.
    Don Verna

Thank you fellas I am happy to wait, especially dealing with a Texican. I grew up in Tejas so my heart is still there.

I'd frame that tight group. Nice one!

You know, this wandering POI thing, I think I might have the same thing. Tomorrow My plan is to shoot fewer shots on more targets so I can see each shot goes and in which order. I've printed out A4 target sheets with twelve targets on. I've reduced the target size too. We'll see tomorrow how it works out.

I also wonder whether my eyes could be part of it.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I'd frame that tight group. Nice one!

You know, this wandering POI thing, I think I might have the same thing. Tomorrow My plan is to shoot fewer shots on more targets so I can see each shot goes and in which order. I've printed out A4 target sheets with twelve targets on. I've reduced the target size too. We'll see tomorrow how it works out.

I also wonder whether my eyes could be part of it.
    As best as I can tell, the wandering of the overall grouping is my cheek weld.
    Using the peep & globe is such a refined and exact method of sighting, the slightest, I mean slightest miss-alignment of the eye to the sights makes a difference.
    I am now checking that outer ring of white first at the same time I'm settling the cheek weld...only then do I go to the inner globe and the spot...adjustment for that alignment comes from my rear bag or hand whichever one I'm using.
    If I adjust my cheek weld even the slightest amount it will send the group in one direction or the other.

Finally...my rear bag arrived today, I intend to use it with the bipod now...using a rear bag on the 25 yard testing convinced ole'hard'headed me.

It came stuffed to the gills with styrofoam tiny BB's, it was too light and overstuffed. 6 ozs. RU kidding me?

I empied those contents in the trash via the zipper and installed a lead ingot and air soft BB's, now she has some weight to her...6 lbs 7 ozs....

The rifle sits much lower in the bag and I can squeeze it for elevation control...

Today I'll give'r a go and report back later.

My range results are in.

Top row; Aguila subsonic 40gr round nose solids
    Bottom row; Geco Match
    Five shots each, from left to right. 511 Remington. Fore-end contact.

Top row; Aguila subsonic 40gr round nose solids
    Bottom row; Geco Match
    Five shots each, from left to right. 510 Remington. Free floated.

One can see that fore-end contact reduces POI shift with different ammo. The 510 seems to trend lower with each subsequent group.

This is my Toz 17 with Geco Match top row and Aguila subsonic round nose on the second row first target.

I may have found a rifle that likes the Geco. I should mention that is was raining during this string. That second group is suspiciously better than the others. Notice that four of the five shots on group three would superimpose on the second. There is a maverick shot high on target three - that should be on target four. Target four was Aguila subsonic solid.

I would say those better groups are as good as I can do with open sights. The tart is no bigger than the front blade width at 25m. The Toz sights are better than the 510 and 511 sights and so is the trigger. Lighting was perfect for open sights, being cloudy and drizzly.

Those groups don't look too bad. 303Guy

Are these 'open sights' a v-notch or u-notch rear and a front post with bead or blade? Or what? Got a picture of the sights?
    What size are the spots?

Thanks for posting your targets here! It's great to see what others can do with non-glassed rifles.