Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: New to using a 'PEEP & GLOBE' at 50 yards...

I had a chance to use the rear bag yesterday but I just can't get a break using this Fed. Prem. HV Match.
    In this MKII is is much less workable than the Aguila.

I thought I might rig some kind of a home-made barrel dampener just to see the effect of doing that using this undesirable ammo. At least I'll get trigger time in and be working my cheek weld and sight picture...that's about the best I can do for now.

I do like the rear bag, I need to get a few more of the AirSoft BB's so I can fill it a bit more but it's doable like it is so far.
    Every little gadget we use takes some getting used to.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Just out of curiousity . . . . The old time Schuetzen men used to clamp the very muzzle of their barrels to a rest when shooting off the bench. Those were heavy barrel rifles, typically .32 or .33 caliber, shooting mild loads. They shot some astounding 200 yard groups that way.

Maybe see what happens if you rest the muzzle on the front bag? That would dampen vibration.

Yes, I know modern .22 benchresters don't do it, but have they ever tried it?
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Just out of curiousity . . . . The old time Schuetzen men used to clamp the very muzzle of their barrels to a rest when shooting off the bench. Those were heavy barrel rifles, typically .32 or .33 caliber, shooting mild loads. They shot some astounding 200 yard groups that way.

Maybe see what happens if you rest the muzzle on the front bag? That would dampen vibration.

That's a great idea. Anything to gain a little information 'bad or good' I always learn something.

Regarding my idea of a home made dampener..."Does anyone know what the weight of those adjustable dampeners/tuners is that go on the front of the barrels?"

Midway stated the shipping weight of one of those dampeners at .183 pounds, so that's 2.9 ozs.

I have this handlebar clamp for a windshield mount on my Harley that weighs 2.4 oz., it fits snug though it's made for a bit larger OD.
    I hung it on loose and let it find it's center of gravity for the odd shape of the bolt and tightened it.
    I think I'll give this a go today, weather permitting...I'll put a strip of white tape on top of the barrel so I can get some marks so I can relate the placement/adjustment to what it does to the groups of the miserable Fed HV Match.

Hahaaa...that ammo might be good for something after all..."Testing a dampener on bad groups!"

I am not sure it is the weight of the dampener as much as the material it is made out of. The rubber is supposed to soak up the vibration somewhat, not just weight the barrel.
    Those rubber rings do work well to dampen vibration in archery so they might work in this situation. Never tried one on a rifle.
    I would put a thin layer of rubber or tape between that metal clamp and the barrel if it was me.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I am not sure it is the weight of the dampener as much as the material it is made out of. The rubber is supposed to soak up the vibration somewhat, not just weight the barrel.
    Those rubber rings do work well to dampen vibration in archery so they might work in this situation. Never tried one on a rifle.
    I would put a thin layer of rubber or tape between that metal clamp and the barrel if it was me.
    There'Ya go tazman...reading my mind!

I put a lining inside the clamp, the width of the clamp made from this 20 mil plumbing wrap.

I put a strip of white electrical phase tape on the top of the barrel & marked in 1/4" increments.

The action side of the clamp, left side is at the '0' mark on the tape and that reflects the exact midpoint between where the barrel is unsupported in front of the action to the muzzle.

Now it all fits nice and cushy...
    I set up a target and loaded the wagon with my gear and right at the moment I was ready to go to the 50 yd. line...by good buddy Harry Tobin called.
    We been chatting and talking about this stuff and Harry is jumping through hoops trying to measure the non custom chamber of a 10-22 bbl. up to the lands of a barrel he has on his bench. He is using drill bits as pin gauges.
    Were still chatting now, so I'll sign off with this update and try again tomorrow.

Long story short, while we been talking the rain clouds moved in and I had to quit the experiment for today.

One rifle has a V notch, another a U notch, one a deep square notch and the other a shallow square notch. I'll get pictures, must easier to describe.

In looking at my targets, I see POI shifts between the three strings for each ammo type. I'm putting it down to differences in sight picture. String was interrupted by a range close. The significance of that is that it could indeed be my eyes causing some of my group issues. Rail would likely have caused some of the aiming issues as the light and visibility changes.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 01-24-2021 at 08:20 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

OS OK--- I really like the way you set up to measure the location of your weight. Good for consistency. I am looking forward to seeing your results.

303Guy. I have issues with my eyes when shooting with open sights due to vision problems and sometimes changing light conditions. I can't see my sights well enough to aim accurately and consistently because my glasses will not allow my aiming eye to focus on the sights. In order to get a good sight picture, I have to remove my prescription glasses and use standard safety glasses. Then I can see the sights, both front and rear, clearly, but not the target. My off eye can see at a distance much better than my aiming eye can. I get a slightly fuzzy target and sharp sights when using both eyes open to aim..
    I am considering getting a set of glasses with a non prescription lens in front of my aiming eye and a distance focus lens in front of my off eye. This should allow me to have everything in focus......in theory. I am nearsighted with my eyes having different distance focusing capabilities.
    I have found having the sights in sharp focus and a clear sight picture is more important than having the target in sharp focus. With my handguns, when I went to the non prescription safety glasses, my group sizes shrunk by about half.

I have been trying to focus on the front sight but just cannot. I have in the past and tried so again, shifting from front sight to target but it hurts my eyes.

My Toz 17 has what to me are the best open sights with a shallow rear notch and a tapered front blade coming to a small radius

It could do with a de-rust. It's not that obvious just looking at it. Blown up images can be somewhat revealing!
    Last edited by 303Guy; 01-24-2021 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I have been trying to focus on the front sight but just cannot. I have in the past and tried so again, shifting from front sight to target but it hurts my eyes.

My Toz 17 has what to me are the best open sights with a shallow rear notch and a tapered front blade coming to a small radius

I can see how that sight setup would work well.
    Do you wear prescription glasses?
    If so, are you nearsighted or farsighted?

I only use reading glasses for closeup. My vision would be 20-20 in my shooting eye at distance. At muzzle distance not so much, specially when my eyes are tired.

I must say, I learned to focus on the target when my eyes were still young. I found I could shoot better that way. The downside is that light conditions with a square top front sight would sometimes effect elevation. I was able to shoot MOA with open sights, so for me it was a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it. It was what worked for me.

Now my eyes play tricks on me. I have scopes that used to focus on the cross hairs and the target. Now they don't. My eyes have changed!

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

Now my eyes play tricks on me. I have scopes that used to focus on the cross hairs and the target. Now they don't. My eyes have changed!
    My trick would not work for you then.
    On the eyes changing thing. I am finding that, as I get older, my eyes change faster than they used to. Instead of 5-10 years between needing glasses changed, it is now more like 12-24 months. I am in need of new glasses now. Things just aren't as sharp as they were.
    At least you can change the focus issue with the scopes easily enough just by turning the eyepiece.

My cheapo scopes don't have enough adjustment, unfortunately. The better ones are fine. I can still aim and shoot with them so as disappointing as it may be, it's not a train smash.

Still, my biggest worry is that I won't be able to shoot with open sights. I'm leaning more toward open sights now. Well, when I get around to fitting that aperture sight, I may be able to aim more accurately. For now I'm happy that the rifles and ammo are doing their part so now I can go and improve my aiming ability. I'm still puzzling over why I can shoot six out of ten into a group as tight as I could possibly aim and the remaining four shoot a ring. Can my eyes be doing that or is it the rifle or the ammo? Maybe I should be ignoring the 'outliers' and concentrate on the main group?

Two different rifles. See my dilemma. That's at only 25m. I don't have a routine 50m range. My next longer range is 100m off a bench or prone.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 01-25-2021 at 02:40 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Talking of barrel dampers/tuners. I use a home made tuner on a couple of my rifles and now about to try using a damper - Having had a look at a "limbsaver" my thoughts were - looks like a suspension bumpstop. A little googling and I found this for about $5. Unfortunately it comes in Orange so a little bumper paint was needed. Us yet untried due to weather and also my Sako is shooting well with it's lilja barrel so don't really want to muck up a winning combination for little reason.

Home made tuner. I made this tuner - it's a bit unconventional because I needed to use it with a moderator and I also wanted to use it on a tapered barrel without screw threading it, so I made a tapered collet that clamps on the barrel.

1066--- Ah the joys of having a machine shop(and knowing how to use it). Very nice design and execution. I am envious.
    I am not allowed a moderator/silencer here in Illinois. Against the law and all that.

Boolit Master

Just to chime in and say how much I've been enjoying this thread. Thank you!
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Quote Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
    Just to chime in and say how much I've been enjoying this thread. Thank you!
    I have too jeepyj...

I am so appreciative of all those who have chimed in to help me in my learning curve with the 'peep & globe'...I have so many ideas going forward to test and share, this has been quite the enlightening project...

But there's a little problem that has occurred...my range just went from this, day before yesterday...

to this....last night and this morning!

I am an old'Freezy'cat...it's hard on my bones this winter weather but I fully intend to keep this project going...hahahaaa . . . . "WEATHER PERMITTING!"

Your place is beautiful, with or without the snow! Now's the time to test subsonics in cold weather for sonic crack! Aah but you need a suppressor to get the effect.

I've seen somewhere something about accuracy going south in the cold. You could test for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post

Clamp the muzzle down? Not just rest it? Was this the only part of the gun being supported? Bag under the butt perhaps?

My thoughts are running away with me here. I'm thinking of a dog-leg channel iron arrangement that will fit onto the shooting bench at the range. Steel because of it's weight, size and rigidity. Channel of heavy wall rectangular box section. Box section would be neater.

I've already seen the difference between free floating a 510 and a fore-end contact 511. Accuracy is seemingly no different but POI shift with changes of ammo is much less with the fore-end contact gun. It would be interesting to see what effect clamping down the muzzle would have. Maybe I should try it with my scoped 512 - I can aim it better.

Boolit Master
    This is a very interesting thread.I like reading about the 22 rim fire rifles.I have always enjoyed shooting 22's from the bench always trying for that very small group.The 22 rifle I shoot the most for the last 50+ years is a Savage Anschutz model 54 sporter. I would like to have a rifle like OSOK with the peep and globe sights.I have a Marlin 336 set up that way and always thought a 22 would be a lot of fun. Anyway thanks for the good read....

Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast