WidenersLoad DataPBcastcoRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940

Thread: New to using a 'PEEP & GLOBE' at 50 yards...

I have been told by a number of people that they own a rifle with a rough bore that outshoots their "best" rifle.
    I don't understand it either.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have been told by a number of people that they own a rifle with a rough bore that outshoots their "best" rifle.
    I don't understand it either.
    taz...I've heard the same with the older rifles, even those with admitted poor bores. I have an old Win 67A I think is just the same, but to prove anything I'd need to get the receiver tapped for a scope rail. Maybe a project for down the road at sometime.

For now...I remain puzzled as you are.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I took the scope off the MKII & set up the Peep again...this time, for the first time with a Post instead of the Globe.

The Remington 33 I bought has very close to this sight picture.

I pick it up this Tuesday and will feature it in the https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...d-Groups/page4 > Vintage 22 Rifles / iron sights / 50 yds / 'Good Groups' ?

Anyway, I can't believe that I haven't tried a Post in all this time with the MKII...I think I may be able to get consistent with this combination...time will tell.

What I am most impressed with is this Eley Contact ammo @ $4.75/box-50, I never would have believed that it would shoot so well!

Most of the groups are under an inch. Good shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Most of the groups are under an inch. Good shooting.
    tazman... I think I am starting to get a routine now for sight set-up...(to minimize vertical dispersion and minimize horizontal as well)

With each shot, I load each round one at a time, next...push the rifle back to battery position on the rest and rear bag and now I am dropping the front rest vertical adjustment...to see a sight picture like this (it is about a 15º turn of the mariners wheel)...it is easy to see if the horizontal is aligned as the 3" spot is almost as wide as the narrow front post.

Next I use the mariners wheel to ease that post up so that it just kisses the 6:00 of the spot...

One of the problems is being able to see the slight difference in these two sight pictures...that dog-gone diffraction makes this slight gap very hard to see...just this slight difference in the last two pictures is equal to 3/8 to 1/2" on the target spot...

I have tried to stay focused on the front post as I adjust the elevation but this last session I ended up focusing on the spot more often than not.
    I still have quite a spread on the horizontal and I may try a wider post up front, not sure...I need to install several posts now and compare the sight picture difference at the 50 yd. bench...

You can see I made several sight adjustments to get the group better centered centrally on the spot but that diffraction I mentioned gives me that lower grouping each time I leave that slight gap between the top of the front post and the 6:00 on the spot.
    It's hard to say whether or not I made an improvement between the last two cards but it felt as if I did...we'll see as I get this sight set-up down to a routine that repeats?

EDIT: I forgot to write the wind conditions...there were none to mention...it was a blessed 'still morning'!

Boolit Grand Master
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-aid-old-eyes/

I used this about 25 years ago when I started back into Bullseye shooting. My eyes needed all the help they could get. It made a huge difference.

Here is a cheaper version that is not adjustable and seems so simple I can likely make one...LOL

https://eyepalusa.com/

The Eyepal system shows it being used with peep sights.

Just my opinion on the front post...I would make it the same width as your dot. Your eye should try to "center" it left to right. But I would use a ring front insert instead of a post as it will be centered for sure.
    Don Verna

Don...this was an experiment to find out what I might expect to see using the 'new to me/used' Rem. 33...I am picking up this 'ole'Girl' (1935) this morning. She will be worked over and restored to some extent and featured in my 'Vintage rifles' thread in a few days.

I have never used a post in the front...only the globes. I kinda like the post, it's a different sight picture to be sure.

PS...THANKS FOR THE LINKS DON.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry Charlie...thought it was for the target rifle.

BTW, that "old girl" looks like a nice find and I hope she shoots well for you.
    Don Verna

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940