Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diesel question

Boolit Master
    Power service puts out a diesel fuel supplement, cetane booster,stops fuel from gelling. Also Power service does a fuel and tank cleaner as well. And there is an additive that stops critters that live in diesel fuel called an algicide. I use all 3. Couple ounces in each 5 gallon jug of diesel I get at the local stop and rob. The algicide is most important as I live in Louisiana where my tractor may sit idle for as long as two weeks. My ship was an aircraft carrier and while making a Westpac cruise algae grew in the ships jet fuel tanks. After a few incidents all the tanks were checked and what they did we never found out. But the ship stunk like diesel and jet fuel for weeks. If I do not use the tractor for at least a month then the fuel tank gets a double dose of the three fluids previously mentioned,sounds like over killl but so far so good. My tractor is not a tier 4 where you cannot go below 1500 rpm in any gear. If you do then the exhaust system fills up with carbon and cost a grand to clean out. My Kubota L3800 regardless of gearing and speeds just keeps chugging along. mostly 2nd gear but will go through the gears just to make sure they work and lubricated. Frank

Boolit Master
    In WWII the US Army ran gasoline in their Sheman tanks used in Europe to simplify logistics.
    The USMC in the Pacific used tanks with diesel engines because the US Navy used diesel in the smaller landing craft,

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    When it gets cold, I'll mix some kerosene in with the diesel fuel to help it flow and prevent gelling.

The U.S.. military runs kerosene (actually JP-8) in a lot of its diesel powered equipment. This simplifies logistics but the engines run a bit hotter and the kerosene doesn't provide as much lubrication for the injector pumps. These issues are outweighed by the simpler logistics in combat zones as it reduces the need for separate fuels in the supply chain.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Some diesel lasts OK without any additives......my old crane sat unused for 12 years,fuel in the tank was good enough to start it up again without cleaning the tank .....which has both rust and sediment from as long as Ive had the crane (35 years)....although a part of the injector pump was stuck from exposure to weather,I freed it up without dismantling the pump.

Boolit Master
    EDG Check your facts, most all of the USMC (and Army) equipment ran gasoline equipment up until Korea/Vietnam.

The standardized conversion from DF-2 (pump grade diesel) to the jet fuels (Jet A/JP5/JP8) happened for at least our vehicles about the time of the 1st Gulf War. Most vehicles didn't have any problem with the switch, the major difference is that the jet fuels have an anti-icing additives which is of no use to ground equipment, otherwise its nice clean kerosene. Some like the early HMMWVs and generators had some issues due to the type for fuel injector pumps they had. The short term solution was to add 10% or so of 10w oil to improve the fuel lubricity until industry was able to update the materials in the fuel pumps for the military.

Boolit Master
    Check your facts since you were not on Iwo Jima or some of those other islands with diesel Shermans.
    The fact is there were 3 or 4 versions of the Sherman equipped with diesel engines and I have never heard of the Army using them.

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    EDG Check your facts, most all of the USMC (and Army) equipment ran gasoline equipment up until Korea/Vietnam.

The standardized conversion from DF-2 (pump grade diesel) to the jet fuels (Jet A/JP5/JP8) happened for at least our vehicles about the time of the 1st Gulf War. Most vehicles didn't have any problem with the switch, the major difference is that the jet fuels have an anti-icing additives which is of no use to ground equipment, otherwise its nice clean kerosene. Some like the early HMMWVs and generators had some issues due to the type for fuel injector pumps they had. The short term solution was to add 10% or so of 10w oil to improve the fuel lubricity until industry was able to update the materials in the fuel pumps for the military.
    Last edited by EDG; 11-09-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    EDG

Lend lease Shermans going to the Soviets were diesel as well. the Soviet solution to diesel in cold weather was to add gasoline to it.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

The M4A2 Sherman tank was powered with a General Motors diesel engine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marine_M4A2_Sherman_tanks_Advance_off_Beach_Iwo_Jima.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	271057
    U.S. Marine M4A2 Sherman tanks of the 3rd Battalion advance inland from the beach on Iwo Jima, 1945.

Boolit Master
    ive run my old ford 4000 diesel on bio and regular on road and also off road heating oil. no matter what fuel just add some of the additives with cetane or whatever is in them and change fuel filter every year or so. run my ford backhoe and little Yanmar on the same stuff and have yet to have a problem.

Boolit Master

Back in 80-83 once the temp hit a certain point we would add a prescribed amount of MO-GAS to the fuel on our M60A1,s. Always Ready!

Boolit Master
    EDG IO will take my thrashing appropriately... I'm an amphib guy and that bit of knowledge on the diesel Sherman's is now cataloged in my useless data repository for future use

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    EDG IO will take my thrashing appropriately... I'm an amphib guy and that bit of knowledge on the diesel Sherman's is now cataloged in my useless data repository for future use
    My understanding is that virtually every engine that could be shoehorned into the engine compartment of a Sherman tank was utilized during the war, gas or diesel, to include some radial aircraft engines.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Thread drift much?

As long as it's interesting.

Boolit Master
    I keep all my tractor fuel tanks (Diesel) full to the top, just for the reason of moisture. Had one with a quart of water in bottom. Never again, it’s not easy to clean out.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Thumbcocker, I'm not sure you are operating under good information.

Your statement, "I have put a couple of tanks of gas station diesel through the Ford. I am now told this is a bad idea. I have access to "real diesel so I will cease using the bio stuff." - leads me to believe that you think "gas station" diesel is somehow different than diesel.????

Diesel is diesel.
    The term biodiesel refers to diesel substitute normally derived from vegetable oil but if you get right down to brass tacks, all diesel is "bio diesel" but some of it is 4 million year old "bio" diesel

There are some problems associated with bio diesel but most "gas station" diesel is not what is commonly called "bio diesel".
    Gas station diesel, truck stop diesel, farm supply diesel, etc. is DIESEL.
    And by the way, home heating oil is diesel, albeit with a higher wax content than road diesel. Marine diesel is diesel without the road tax. Off road diesel is ........wait for it........dyed diesel without the road tax.

People have a tendency to complicate this stuff. There really isn't as much mystery to diesel fuel as some claim.

So, unless the fuel in your tractor is somehow contaminated, just use it up as you see fit.
    No. On road and off road are not the same and off road is even dyed red to set it apart.

Now winter diesel is sold in the U.S. Already cut for cold weather if you are above a certain line. Here in NC we are right at it.

If you think your diesel is contaminated with water get a couple of bottles of 90% alcohol from walmart. One bottle in 100gal will drive the moisture out. I wouldn't worry about gelling of I were ypu. Water is the biggest problem in the winter. If you think the fuel is bad like algae contamination you have a problem. Drain the fuel and replace it and add an algae killer to the tanks. Have a number of fuel filters on hand as you are going to need them replaced till it's gone. Worst case is you have to remove the tanks and clean them.

Illinois should have winter diesel probably now but it doesn't get cold enough there to worry about gelling
    Last edited by jonp; 11-13-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    If you think your diesel is contaminated with water get a couple of bottles of 90% alcohol from walmart. One bottle in 100gal will drive the moisture out.
    Sorry to disagree. Please pardon me.

Alcohol does not "drive the moisture out." It goes into solution with water. The engine must still run the water through the fuel delivery system and combustion chambers. Water is still damaging to the engine, though perhaps less so when diluted with alcohol. Also, alcohol rots fuel lines and causes gaskets to swell.

A much better solution is to install a fuel/water separator before a problem occurs.. These are usually made in combination with a fuel filter. My engines all have them. I once got a bad batch of fuel at a discount gas station. It filled the fuel water separator with water. I drained it, cranked the engine and filled it again, and repeated until the water was removed.

If a significant amount of water is already in the tank, two solutions are available. Both solutions also remove bio-sludge from bacterial growth in the tank (earlier I went along with the mistaken identity of the organisms as algae; they are in fact bacteria).

1. Call a fuel polisher. He will insert two hoses into the fuel tank. One pumps in, the other out. On his truck are large filters and fuel/water separators. He will run your fuel through them until it is cleaned.

2. Drain and remove the tank. Remove the fuel lines from the vehicle. Clean all thoroughly. Replace non-metal parts of the fuel system. Reinstall.

Boolit Master

on road and off road are the same thing, they put the dye in the off road because no road tax has been paid on it and the dye will discolour the lines and can be used to prove a case of tax evasion. most construction and oil field companies run on road in everything because its cheaper to do the paperwork to declare that road diesel has been used off road and get a refund, than to pay the fines of a lazy worker getting them mixed up.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    No. On road and off road are not the same and off road is even dyed red to set it apart.

Now winter diesel is sold in the U.S. Already cut for cold weather if you are above a certain line. Here in NC we are right at it.

If you think your diesel is contaminated with water get a couple of bottles of 90% alcohol from walmart. One bottle in 100gal will drive the moisture out. I wouldn't worry about gelling of I were ypu. Water is the biggest problem in the winter. If you think the fuel is bad like algae contamination you have a problem. Drain the fuel and replace it and add an algae killer to the tanks. Have a number of fuel filters on hand as you are going to need them replaced till it's gone. Worst case is you have to remove the tanks and clean them.

Illinois should have winter diesel probably now but it doesn't get cold enough there to worry about gelling
    This isn't my first rodeo with diesel equipment. Allow me to answer some of what was said:

It's dyed to indicate it for TAX purposes. Off-road diesel is dyed so that it can be distinguished from On-road (taxed higher) diesel.
    Although the sulfur content of Off-Road diesel may be higher than On-road diesel (and even that difference is disappearing as suppliers no longer carry high sulfur diesel), the primary difference is TAX.
    Diesel is Diesel.

Yes, to a point. Even winter grade diesel will gell if it gets cold enough and the wax content of the fuel is high. There are a lot of variables in play and it's hard to make a sweeping accurate statement. Adding something to the diesel to help prevent gelling in extreme cold has been a common practice for about as long as we have had diesel engines. Gasoline or kerosene are commonly added by the end user. Fuel supplements are also used.

If you think your diesel is contaminated with water get a couple of bottles of 90% alcohol from walmart. One bottle in 100gal will drive the moisture out.

Tatume has already addressed this issue.
    Diesel fuel does have an affinity for water and any significant amount of water in diesel will sink to the lowest point. That causes a few problems. First, water can freeze. No need to dive any deeper into that statement. Second, water isn't very good fuel for a diesel engine. In fact, it doesn't burn at all. Third, water does really bad things to injectors, injector pumps, steel lines, etc.
    For all the above reasons, diesel fuel systems generally have some means to separate out any water that gets in the tank.
    If you're lucky, the ambient temperature will be above freezing when you tackle that problem.

Dumping alcohol into a tank of diesel is not a good solution to removing water from diesel fuel.
    In fact, since most alcohol has some water mixed with it, you can actually make the problem worse.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    on road and off road are the same thing, they put the dye in the off road because no road tax has been paid on it and the dye will discolour the lines and can be used to prove a case of tax evasion. most construction and oil field companies run on road in everything because its cheaper to do the paperwork to declare that road diesel has been used off road and get a refund, than to pay the fines of a lazy worker getting them mixed up.
    It's also easier to fudge the paperwork and get a little more refund than you are due.

Boolit Master
    As a slightly interesting aside.....BP ran a fleet of tankers on a 10% water /diesel emulsion for some years ,calling it "Green diesel".....purely a gimmick.....They were smart enough to only use the emulsion in old trucks nearing replacement.......The fuel was never allow to stand either,if the truck wasnt in continuous service ,the tank was emptied by a "vacuum sucker" ,and refilled by a special mix to purge the fuel system of water.........Using the emulsion actually was less efficient than pure diesel,as the power loss included energy lost in injecting inert (water) fuel...Just gimmick to pander to greenies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast