Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Plain based .30caliber gas checks

Boolit Buddy

Plain based .30caliber gas checks

Hi all,
    I am getting ready to load some 311041 plain base boolits in my .30 cal rifles, .30/06, .300 Savage, .30/30, and .30/30 AI.
    This is a group buy mold from many years ago.
    I am going to be sizing to .310.
    My alloy is ACWW.
    I'm looking at Sage's aluminum plain based gas checks.
    Has anyone here used these?
    Please share your experiences, good or bad, and any opinions on these gas checks.
    Thanks,
    Blkpwdrbuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

Banned

I have very limited experience with them and it was rather specialized. I was getting into loading for a 1907 Winchester in .351 WSL, which is an undersized .35 Bullet. The mold I got was for the even older .35 WSL and was plain based. So I figured I'd try these. It worked, but obviously, they were designed for .358 bullets and were kind of loose but hung on when I ran the bullets through a .352 sizer.

They shot pretty well too, but I would get really weird flyers more often than I was comfortable with and started finding gas checks short of the back stop, so I'm thinking they were sometimes falling off in flight. I doubt that would be a problem for you if uing ones for the proper size, but it's something you might want to be alert to.

If I ever try it again, I'll likely use a drop of super glue to stick them on.

Banned

They're cheap enough that you should try it and see anyway. Not long ago, I got a plain based version of the 311284 for my .30-06 cast target rifle and 100 yards shooting so I'm interested in how this works.

Not 30 cal but tried them in a 35 Rem with a plain base 200 gr from a
    Saeco mould , drove them fast as I could just to experiment . No difference in accuracy from a normal crimp on hornady check at similar speeds
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

I've used vulcan aluminum checks with no apparent difference from vulcan or hornady copper. That's all I can add.

Boolit Mold
    I haven't used 30 caliber aluminum checks but have good results with some for 44 Mag, 357/38, and .223.

Boolit Buddy

I just went on Sages's website to order some and they are out of stock.
    I guess I'll just have to wait.
    Thanks for all of your replies.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey